• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

1/6th A7V sturmpanzer project

gimpy117

Marksman
found an A7V sturmpanzer paper model, thought it might be an easy cool thing to make...but...it's 1/72 scale. what percent should I enlarge each piece so I can use it for a 1/6 scale template???

and while I'm at it does anybody know where to get 1/6 scale maxim guns??? so if I do make one I can add the machine guns on the side...

one problem reguarding enlargeing things is as you enlarge not only does the image get larger the line width also enlarges and the image can become pixelated and blurred.

1/72nd scale is 12 times smaller than 1/6th, so you need to increase the size by 1200%

Be aware that if you're using any kind of photocopier, it may well not increase the width and length by the same amount, so you'll end up with a template which isn't true to the original.

See if you can enlarge an exact circle by the same 1200% and then measure the enlarged copy to see if it is still circular. If it isn't, there probably isn't much point trying to make the template this way.

Adrian.

I found that they best way to enlarge plans is to get access to a computer projector. That way you can have the small clear image on your computer screen projected clear and large on the projector screen.
Then just get some large paper and trace out the plans, it may take some time, but it is worth it :!:

Ben

got the template for the front made It's about 10.5 in. tall and 10.5 in. wide just by eyeball standards, and will probably be about a foot or so when I add the angled triangles that connect the front "prow" to the flat crew compartment deck/frame ....the side will be somewhere around 3 ft. long

this puppy is gonna be pretty big!

It's great too because my father works at a shop were they might have extra plastic that won't work for their machine, or they can order some...

what gauge should I get???

oh and I would like to make door hinge tracks...how do you make drive sprockets and what kind of idlers should I use??

any estimates on weight? and what Motors to use for this?
(I can gear it pretty low because scale speed of 9kmh is darn slow)

Sounds like a HUGE and fun project.

Seeing as the A7V was a WW I vehicle it is off topic for
this forum. Moving to Near Miss.

What I do, is scan the drawing into a tif file, or other image type. Then I import it into AutoCAD and draw directly over the tif file. When done, then delete the tif file and increase the autocad drawing to what ever scale you want. By drawing over the tif file, the line width then does not increase with the increase of the overall drawing.

For a 0.5mm original line width, increasing to 1200% will result in a 6mm wide line.

As for plastic thickness, for the Sdkfz-251, we used 1/8 inch ABS, for the Tiger tank, we used 3/16" thick ABS. What will be the overall width and length of you final vehicle?

Leonard
RTT

I actually blew up the pdf to 1200% in Acrobat reader and then copied it to paint where I printed it 100% (hopefully :) ) original size onto computer paper. Luckily since it's symmetrical, I can only do one side for each template.

so far without the pointed front, the side plate of the tank should be 2 ft. 3 in. the side armor plate is about 10.5 in tall...

being this is my first project and it's just in the infancy stages, It may take a while, and I'm kinnda doing it on a shoe string....I wish I had money

But If you guys have any hints or tips feel free to chime in!

@ rolling thunder tech

the overall length is supposed to by 24 feet and 4 feet in scale (according to wikipedia) I suspect they are counting the gun however, but I'm estamating around 3 feet not counting the gun once I get the pointed ends on. the with is 10 feet in real life so about 1 2/3 ft. in scale...

oh...ps. the armor was 20mm side and 50mm front in real life...

Not sure what you're using for reference as I've never seen one of these paper models, but there's a fairly cheap, small book on the only surviving A7V called "Mephisto: A7V Sturmpanzerwagen 506", which also comes with fairly decent line drawings.
I doubt the book's available outside Australia, where Mephisto is, so if you want it and are having trouble getting your hands on it, feel free to drop me a line and I can get one for you.
Cheers
Allan

hmmm....Is the book on amazon?? thanks for the heads up on it

well I've got the templates for the side as well and I lined up some plastic for free!!

the length of one side to top is off by half an inch But I can correct it

anybody have photos and wheel sizes or info on the running gear??

Just got done with most of the superstructure templates all that's left is the bottom template then hopefully I can get cracking on the bottom soon.

I had to correct the scale of some of the templates but that was pretty easy. hopefully pics when I start making the plastic bits.

by the way does anybody know if a WWI German tank crewman figure or uniform is available online??

Just found time to get a side glued together not I gotta glue 2 more sheets on let it dry and cut it to shape.

and then repeat for the other side

Back