• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Armored insignia question.

CharlesBronson

Machine Gunner
Alright, I'm getting around to bashing an M10 crew and 2 armored infantrymen. I'm going to make the crew part of the 705th Tank Destroyer batallion attached to the 11th Armored division. I know that both the crew and the infantry are going to have the 11th Armored patches, but I'm wondering what other patches should they have?

Should the Crew have the TD (cat eating a tank) patch on the right sleeve?

Should the Infantry have the 3rd Army patch on the right sleeve?

The crew should have the TD patch on the right sleeve as this was required for those units in the field. The dogfaces (infantry) should only where the 11th Amd patch on the left.

The patch or Shoulder Sleeve Insignia , SSI, as it is officially known as would be worn on the left shoulder. If worn on the right , it denotes service with that particular organization in wartime , aka a "combat patch".

Most evidence that I have seen , the "combat patch" wouldn't be worn in the field. Bigger things to worry about ;)

So , regardless of what type of organization, they would be worn on the left. Some exceptions to this rule, such as the 2nd Armored , which often wore the SSI over the left breast , or heart. (They did so into the early '90s when the Division was disbanded )

As far as what patch the TD crew would be wearing, it depends on the time frame. IIRC, the TD patch was later officially replaced with whatever Army, 1st, 3rd, etc.. they were assigned to. Of course, this doesn't mean that the troops followed the guidance.

For your Armored Grunts, as DB mentioned, they would wear their divisional patch, in your case, the 11th AD.

Looking forward to seeing your end results.

:!:

Thanks for clearing that up. In my sloppy explanation I forgot to add that the 11th Amd would be worn on the left by TD crews as well. I have seen evidence of the TD patch on the right and left so its really up to you. But it was a requirement of those units to wear them.

Hey brother, I don't think they, the 705th TD would have worn the 11th Armored. TD Battalions were generally seperate from any Divisional organization. They were usually a Corps or Army level asset to be used at the discretion of that commander.

Being attached, as they were to the 11th , is different from being assigned.

Wow, I havent checked this post in a while. You guys were talkin up a storm.

BR, the time frame is during the battle of the bulge. So I guess they would have just the TD patch. No Armored patch?

I'll definitley post up pictures when I'm done. The Grunts are about 50% done. I'm still waiting on a few more things to come in the mail. The crew is going to take me a bit. But I'll get some WIP pics up soon.

Back