• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Brazilian soldier - One Sixth but not WWII

1stlooey

Platoon Leader
(A couple of months ago I joined a Brazilian sixth scale group. There aren't very many of them, but they seem very dedicated. Seems the addicting qualities of our hobby knows no national boundaries!)

This particular kitbash was so original and well-researched that I really wanted to show you guys. I did a little translation and editing from the original Portuguese for this marvellous figure.)

(The creator is "kdlao" from the city of Ribeirao Preto, in the state of Sao Paulo. Original thread here: 1932 Brazilian Constitutionalist Soldier )

BEFORE SHOWING the FIGURE... A LITTLE HISTORY

In contrast to what many think, the Constitutional Revolution of 1932 was not a separatist movement of the State of São Paulo. Quite the opposite, the spirit of the movement was exactly the national union against the dictatorship of then the Provisional Government of Getulio Vargas, demanding immediate elections for President and the promulgation of a new Constitution. The popular demonstrations of the people of São Paulo against the federal government had continued until in the night July 9th, 1932. The military movement exploded, the biggest civil war of Brazil in the 20th century.

The São Paulo troops had been formed by the military of the Public Force (predecessor of the modern-day Military Police), garrisons of the Brazilian Army in the state of São Paulo and by thousand of civilians who volunteered. Many European immigrants with experience of combat in World War I also volunteered.

The Revolutionary Troops counted on 135,000 soldiers, 7 airplanes, 44 artillery pieces and some homemade tanks (tractor, cars and trains), while the federal troops had at their disposal an infinitely bigger contingent, 24 airplanes, 250 artillery pieces and Renault FT-17 tanks of French manufacture. After three months of combat and the sacrifice of 830 troops of São Paulo in the trenches, on October 2nd the surrender was signed and the Forces from São Paulo had abandoned the weapons

So that the fight and the ideals of that they had fought in 1932 are not forgotten, I made this
kitbash:

SR1932-1.jpg

SR1932-2.jpg

SR1932-3.jpg

PUTTING THE PIECES OF THE PUZZLE TOGETHER:

SR1932-4.jpg

UNIFORM and EQUIPMENT

The effort of war of the Forces of São Paulo and the short duration of the conflict did not permit that all the troops had the same uniforms and equipment. I opted then to reproduce the following one:

Tunic of the Public Force (Photo 1) – Cream-colored tunic ,reproducing perfectly the collar, shoulder boards and the shape of the pockets.

Pants of the Public Force (Photos 2,3 and 4) - With exception of the Officers, the troops used typical cavalry pants, whose legs taper towards the ankles, in the color cream; leggings of fabric (Photo 3) - the pants were wrapped in fabric bands or, sometimes, in small numbers, by a legging of leather

Boots - the boots were of short rise and could be of black or brown leather;

Belts and suspenders (Photo 2) - models for officers could be of black or white leather. I opted to the set of belt + double suspender of black leather as used by the infantry

Ammunition pouches (Photo 3) - Made of leather, it was standard for both Public Force (MPs) and Army infantry

Grenades (Photo 4) - MkI model grenade of English manufacture

Rifle (Photo 3) - Model Mauser 1908 of German manufacture, standard weapon of the Public Force and also of the Brazilian Army;

Bayonet (Photo 3) – Standard Mauser 1908 rifle bayonet.

Also the use of machetes as of Photo 4 was common;

Steel helmet (Photo 3) - While the main armies of the world had adopted the use of steel helmets during World War I (1914-1918), in Brazil coated helmets of leather cork oak still were used. The Forces of São Paulo had decided to equip all the combatants with steel helmets. Two helmets in particular stand out: a French Adrian model of 1915 and an English model MK-1 of 1916. Both were approved for manufacture in the thousands. The English model was copied faithfully, and the French model suffered small modifications in the air holes in the top (to prevent overheating), known as "rooster crest". The Forces of São Paulo had made two versions, one with the "rooster crest" shorter than the original and the other with air holes in round format.

Capacetes1932.jpg

By the end the conflict, about 70.000 helmets of the three models had been manufactured. The federal government took possession of the supplies and the assembly lines. But two models continued to be produced, the French helmet with the "rooster crest" and the British helmet, which continued to be used until World War II, when Brazil adopted the American model M-1 for the FEB (Brazilian Expeditionary Force) in Italy, therefore I chose to reproduce the model with the round vent, "exclusive" of the Forces of São Paulo.

Capacete1932.jpg

MISSING EQUIPMENT

Canteen - Still I do not have a clear photo or information on the model. I have an engraving where it seems to be the model the Germans used in the World Wars, but without the cup covering the cap

Mess kit - I ended up finding a photo with several of them. They are identical the ones that the Germans had used in the World Wars.

kdlao6fn.gif

Back