• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

British Airborne Questions Part 2..........

gebirgsjager6thss

Battalion Commander
Hello again everyone,
First I would like to thank everyone who helped out with my all my stupid questions about British Airborne in WWII.
You might be interested to know I now have 3 Brit paras in various stages of completion so I guess I have gone over from the darkside. :)
Anyway,what I need now is this:
Does anyone know of a site that has a rank chart for British paras in WWII? With pictures so I know where to place the insignia?
Also,did pars always wear the denisson smocks? As I cannot find any I was gonna use the leather vest from Kenneth or just keep them in the battle dress alone.
Thanks again for all the help guys!
GJ

The rank badges were exactly as in the rest of the Army : I don't know about sites , but any decent book on the British Army will have them in .
The answer to the smock question is bad news, really : they did tend to wear them rather a lot of the time. Obviously they were taken off occasionally , revealing the same battledress as other soldiers, but they were standard wear in combat.
I'm sure if you search around you will find some .

Thank you both for responding. From what I understand,and PLEASE corrct me if I am wrong:
The jumpwings,Pegesus and EM-NCO rank was worn on both battle dress sleeves but only the jump wings and rank on the right sleeve of the smock.
What about officers? Did they only wear the jumpwing on the smock?
Just got an Ian,so now I have 4 lightsiders now,but it looks like 2 of them are going to be out of uniform as I cannot find any dennison smocks and if you guys say that Oscars cammo smock is incorrect for a 1st Para that will make 3 guys out of uniform,and I'm gonna cry!
GJ

Correct about the officers' Denison. Jump wings on the right sleeve only, and rank 'pips' on both epaulettes.

The pips should have a light 'Cambridge' blue backing for Airborne.

gebirgsjager6thss";p="89792 said:
Okay,what about the smock that BBI put out that has NO sleeves. Was this a mistake on thier part?
GJ

No, it was based on the FJ 'bonesack'.

"A plain olive green denim oversmock was worn over the parachutists web gear while jumping. It was worn over all the kit the soldier would fight in, and was designed to keep anything from fouling the parachute lines during the jump. It was sleeveless with a full front zip, and pockets along the bottom for holding Mills Bombs. The oversmock had a buttoned flap that came up between the legs, much the same as the Denison."
From http://www.6th-airborne.org/

Pic here: http://www.6th-airborne.org/resources/newuni3.jpg

BTW, it's worth mentioning that either theAirborne Divisions sometimes used used a series of coloured loops on the epaulets of the Denison to show the Regt. More info here: http://www.6th-airborne.org/tabs.html

Hello and thanks. Does this mean I can use this type instead of the sleeved one? Because I just cannot find ANY of them,anywhere.
One more question about the officers dennison. I want to turn my Iam into an officer (I think he has the proper officer look) so all I would have to do is put officer shoulder boards on him?
Thanks again for all the help,
GJ

Sorry, no. The oversmock would be dumped straight after landing, and they would usually fight in the Denison.

Having said that, I understand that in hot climes such as Sicily or N. Africa, they didn't use the Denison as it was too hot.

For anything set in NW Europe then you would need one.

Officers' Denisons usually had a full-length zip, and some OR's (Other Ranks) would modify theirs to full-length zip by using the one from the oversmock. You could do the same in 1/6th!

There's a chap called "Woodlander' who has done the most amazing piece on all the available smocks and how to upgrade them over on OSS (http://www.onesixscale.co.uk). I would highly recommend checking out his thread: http://www.onesixscale.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17864&start=0

You may have to register to view it, but it's worth it. (NB - If you have an aol, hotmail, yahoo or similar account you may have problems registering because Rob, the Mod on OSS, gets 20-25 spam accounts registering every day. If you do have problems, drop me a PM here).

David.

Back