• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

British vs German Para Battles???

Dubar1

Company Commander
I've not been "into" paras much, even though I have about 1/2 dozen figures on each side.

Here's my question...did Brit paras and German paras ever face each other in battle? Where and what dates would be nice to know.

Thanks,
Bob

Well...I got an answer from one of the guys on the Sixth Div board.

On July 13 1943 the British 1st Airborne Brigade dropped in Sicily to capture the Primosole Bridge and ran into elements of the 3rd reg, 1st Fally Div.

Prior to the action in Sicily , British 2 Battalion of 6th Parachute Brigade under Major John Frost , were in combat with Fallschirmjager of 1/FJR 5 at Depienne in Tunisia in November 1942. There was one incident in particular where FJ Major Walter Koch intervened to forcibly prevent British airborne prisoners being executed by mixed Heer/Italian forces .

Kev Longino";p="14364 said:
Prior to the action in Sicily , British 2 Battalion of 6th Parachute Brigade under Major John Frost , were in combat with Fallschirmjager of 1/FJR 5 at Depienne in Tunisia in November 1942. There was one incident in particular where FJ Major Walter Koch intervened to forcibly prevent British airborne prisoners being executed by mixed Heer/Italian forces .
Good topic...seems to be something either didn't happen often or just not written about much.

When you mentioned Walter Koch I knew I'd seen the name before. I have a couple of pics of him in a book "Hitler's Sky Warriors' by Christopher Ailsby. In it, their's some pics of Koch after leading a detachment that took fortress Eben Emael in 1940.

Hope to see more battles mentioned as I like to read about both sides.

Kyle

I've Googled "Primosole Bridge" and got a number of hits, but they all pertain to the same writings or about board games :S :(

I'm trying to determine if they wore the tropical uniforms or a mix.

Dubar, I will need to do some checking, but I believe the Red Devils would have worn 1st Pattern Smocks and 1st (and 2nd?) Pattern Helmets for that operation. Besides, the lack of easy-to-find information gives you all the leeway you could want. As a result, mix in a DML or BBI pull-over or BBI KD Bush Shirt as you see fit. :-D

Oosterbeek Perimeter

After the Red Devils lost the bridge at Arnhem, the Germans concentrated their attacks on Oosterbeek. One of these elements included a battalion from the Luftwaffe Hermann Goering NCO School - well trained but had never seen any serious action. Supported by captured French tanks they assaulted a famous resturant occupied by the Red Devils - a very dramatic battle ensued.

Can't say on the exact personnel equipment used - may have been a mixture.

jim.

Back