• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

D-Day Airborne Cameraman

b24man

Company Commander
I was reading my new "National D-Day Museum Newsletter" today and found a great little article on a guy named Rueben Weiner who jumped with the 82nd Airborne Division on D-Day as a combat photographer.

Below is most of the articles text as it was written...

After Pearl Harbor he decided to enlist with the U.S. Army and because of his pre-war professional photography skills he volunteered to work for the Signal Corps.

He was sent to basic training at Camp Crowder in Missouri where he was taught the same basic training as any infantry rifleman. After completing basic, he was sent to Fort Sam Houston, TX. with the 165th Signal Company as a photographer.

In 1944, the 165th received orders to transfer to England to join in the build-up for D-Day. It was here that Mr. Weiner volunteered to be attached to the 82nd Airborne Division for the upcoming Normandy invasion. He attended accelerated jump school and learned the basics of being an Army parachutist. He was then attached to the 508th Parachute Reg./82nd Airborne Division.

During the pre-dawn hours of June 6, 1944, Weiner jumped from a C-47 as part of a stick of paratroopers from Regimental Headquarters Company of the 508th PIR. He carried with him a still camera and a motion picture camera in two large canvas bags. Although his planeload of paratroopers was suppose to land near Picauville, they landed instead far north of the village of Ste.-Mere-Eglise. Shortly after sunrise on D-Day, they entered a little town called St. Marcouf, at which time Mr. Weiner shot some of the most amazing photographs of the Normandy cammpaign. In the days that followed he shot both stills and motion picture at such places as Utah Beach and Chef du Pont. On June 10th (D+4), he filmed the hulks of three knocked-out German tanks at La Fiere.

Thanks to Mr. Weiner and other cameramen of the 165th Signal Company, we have images today of D-Day and some of the other historically signficant battles fought in Europe during WWII.

photographer.jpg

I never new any combat photographers jumped during the D-Day invasion. Pretty cool little article I thought y'all might enjoy. Could be a bash in the making if I can find one of these motion picture cameras.

Kyle

cameraman

two camera men jumped with the 101, one was al krochka and the other was mike musura, ive also seen krochka with a grease gun so maybe he fought to but i know he was a division photographer

Kyle, have you got a link to that story ? your photo isn't showing up and I'm dying to see what you found.

J-P

jepy";p="50683 said:
Kyle, have you got a link to that story ? your photo isn't showing up and I'm dying to see what you found.

J-P
I found this article back in March, 06 from The National D-Day Museum bi-monthly news letter, unfortunately I don't have the newsletter or the pic anymore to re-post. However the article here is darn near in its entirety.

Kyle

Back