• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Did the GJs receive schwimmwagens?

In a previous thread Patrick mentioned that GJ divisions were equiped with some schwimmwagons. No other details or photos provided.

Tim

How about the Heer GJ's using motorcycles,Kubles or Ketts?
Also,did the SS GJ's use 250's,schwimmwagons,Kubles or Ketts?
In one of Ospreys books,I saw a picture of an SS GJ unit with tanks and it showed the crew with the Edelweiss patch on the black panzer uniform so it made me think the SS GJ's might have been issued larger vehicles than the Heer GJ's but I could not find any real info on Google.
Any help?
GJ

gebirgsjager6thss";p="133397 said:
How about the Heer GJ's using motorcycles,Kubles or Ketts?
Also,did the SS GJ's use 250's,schwimmwagons,Kubles or Ketts?
In one of Ospreys books,I saw a picture of an SS GJ unit with tanks and it showed the crew with the Edelweiss patch on the black panzer uniform so it made me think the SS GJ's might have been issued larger vehicles than the Heer GJ's but I could not find any real info on Google.
Any help?
GJ

IIRC, "Prinz Eugen" was equipped with French tanks. Photos can be found in this long photo-thread on the division.

Servus Gebirglers,

For more information and photos of the 7th w-ss Geb.Div. "Prinz Eugen," I would suggest Otto Kumm's (former division commander) book which is available on Amazon:

Prinz Eugen Book
Photo unit history of 7th SS Mountain Div. and their savage battles against Tito's partisans in the mountains of Yugoslavia. Published by the unit veterans association, many of the 554 photos came from the private collections of the few surviving veterans and are published no where else. Large format. Full German and English text.

All Heer and W-SS used some motorized vehicles like motorcycles, Kubels and Schwimmwagens, Kettenkrads, Krupp Protze, Opel Blitz, 8-ton half-tracks, and a myriad of impressed civilian and captured vehicles. But the primary mode of transport for Geb.Divisions was still horses and mules...about 5 to 6,000 animals in a division.

Armored half-tracks, like the SdKfz. 250 & 251 were for Panzergrenadiers....not regular Infantry or Gebirgsjägers. Though the 1st Skijäger division was more motorized like PzGrenadiers and did use the 250 and 251, RSO's, Sturmgeschütz III's, etc.

Muli vor und Horrido!
Patrick

gjmulisgreecesk7.jpg

The 1st Gebirgs-Division, for one, made extensive use of rafts during their part of the invasion of France, crossing the Oisne/Aisne Canal, Aisne River, Seine River, and Marne River while under fire.

Here are some Gebirgs-Pioneers from a unit of the 1st Gebirgs Division on the Seine:
GJRaft.jpg

And on the Aisne, being pulled by a swimming 'Muli':
GJRaft3.jpg

They were also commonly used to create pontoon bridges for the Gebirgsjagers, since the retreating French had a nasty habit of blowing up their bridges:
GJBridge.jpg

Here's a photo of slightly larger infatable raft being utilized by Gebirgsjagers somewhere in Russia:
GJRaft2.jpg

They were probably used somewhat often in Russia, since the German lines of advance in 1941 and 1942 took them across several rivers and other bodies of water, especially in the Southern sector, where the 1st and 4th Gebirgs-Divisions operated as part of Army Group South.

After the heady days of Blitzkrieg, I imagine that they were used on a smaller scale by Gebirgsjagers on the defensive in Russia, Italy, the Balkans, and especially Finland, which is dotted with lakes and rivers. (For example, for small raids or reconnaisance against enemies on the other side of a body of water.)

I'm sure Patrick can come up with some other photos of river crossings, as well as other areas where Gebirgsjagers might have commonly used inflatable rafts.

On a slightly related note, Gebirgsjagers of the 7. SS-Freiwilligen-Gebirgs-Division 'Prinz Eugen' apparently utilized motorized fast attack boats on the rivers of Yugoslavia while combatting Tito's Partisans in 1943-1945.
SSGJBoat.jpg

Back