• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Fallschirmjägergewehr 42 (FG42)

caribmar05

Rifleman
I have a question on the use of this M/G by the german paras. Was this machine gun issued to the hole platoon, just the squad leaders or given to a machine gun section. Was it pretty common?? Thanks..

I read somewhere that only about 5,000 were produced and that few were handed out to some chosen units. Also it was very inafective. That's all i could find.

I doubt it was considered ineffective. Considering that it was extremely similar in design & function to the Johnson M41 LMG - a weapon which was very well-liked by the elite US units that it was issued to(Marine Raiders & FSSF).

As regards the usage of the FG42 by the FJ - I believe it was issued in place of other rifles - most likely, ending up in the hands of a NCO. Since by 1944 the 11 man FJ squad was issued 2 MG34(or MG42), it wasn't being used as a primary LMG.

justin_g";p="51777 said:
I doubt it was considered ineffective. Considering that it was extremely similar in design & function to the Johnson M41 LMG - a weapon which was very well-liked by the elite US units that it was issued to(Marine Raiders & FSSF).

As regards the usage of the FG42 by the FJ - I believe it was issued in place of other rifles - most likely, ending up in the hands of a NCO. Since by 1944 the 11 man FJ squad was issued 2 MG34(or MG42), it wasn't being used as a primary LMG.

Personnally I'd compare it to the M14 BAR as it's closest cousin - a heavy (nowadays light) assault weapon.
IIRC - but I might be wrong here - a FJ squad late in 1944 had a nominal armament of 2 MP40's, 2 MG's (mostly 42), 2 StG44's, 4 Kar98 and only one FJ42, if any. That makes a very heavy squad I might add with a lot of firepower since especially the FJs had begun adapt a different doctrine from the old "rifles support the MGs" (the US view was btw "MGs support the rifles") - the more lead in the air, the better.

Unfortunately the FG42 had a high rate of fire and like the BAR could waste it's 20 round box magazine in seconds. Their first debut was the mountain top rescue of Il Duce from Gran Sasso with Otto Skorzeny. The FG42 was issued in two versions simply denoted models I and II. Both models could serve multifarious duties. With a sturdy bipod it could serve as a LMG or covering weapon. A 4x scope could be fitted to give accuracy and could qualify in a sniper role. A rate of fire selector could change to full or semi auto to adapt to these functions. The FG42 fitts in the same category as the M1 Garand, K98, Johson LMG, and BAR. It was recognized by it's extremely loud and frightening noise.

The FG42 was never intended to be used as an MG. Its main reason for introduction was as a force multiplier. It was the FIRST automatic rifle to go into any kind of front line use. There were around 2000 of the Mk1 produced and about 5000 of the Mk2.

However because the FJ were on the MLR all the way throught the Normandy campaign, and so many of the weapons fell into the hands of the advancing troops it was thought that there were many more in circulation than were ever really produced.

First rate weapon let down by an overpowered round and a lack of high quality production materials.

hello together,

the fg42 was first delivered by mid of 1943 to selected fj (lW) and fj (waffe-ss)units. most of the ca. 7500 produced weapons where delivered to fj units in italy and france.

they are first used during the commando action at the grand sasso in italy to free Musollini!

the fg42 was not used as an MG!
more details you will find on www.fg42.de (already only in german)

derderbste

How did the German Paratroops strap down the FG42 on a jump. Did they sling it so that the weapon was somehow fastened with a belt to their back?\

Wally

I don't think the paras jumped with it ever.

However, if they did, it probably would've been in the drop tube like the other guns for paras, rather than strapped to the trooper.

The RZ parachute type severely restricted what equipment fallschirmjager could drop with, as the opening shock was very heavy on the body causing it to almost double up as the canopy opened ( this meant that equipment ,weapons and gear could cause bad injuries ), and the single shroud suspension meant that the user had to have both hands ready for landing to help cushion the impact . Accordingly they originally jumped with no more than pistols and recovered other weapons from drop cannisters , although combat experience showed that they need more firepower on landing and individuals started finding ways of jumping with MP40s and other weapons.
The FG42 was introduced after the main fallschirmjager drops of the war, so the likelihood of it being carried on a drop is less, I have yet to see a photograph of an FJ either preparing for drop or immediately after drop with one - but as ever, that does'nt mean it did'nt happen ;)

.......... :roll: I… have heard… that jumped fallschirmjägers…. from very low height, to be just a short time in the air. Therefore, its fall was very dangerous. Their parachute did not control the paracaedista German…. The constucción of a parachute of the third Reich… was not as safe as lor English and North American parachute.
................................ :shock: :roll: :shock: ........................................

The German paratrooper had zero control over his chute. It was totally different from the chute that pilots and aircrew used. They jumped without weapons, their equiptment and gear was dropped in drop containers. German paratroopers landed basically on their hands and knees hence the heavy knee pads they wore. When they jumped from the plane they dove out head first sort of like when you dive into the water. There was a chance if they jumped out feet first they would get tangled in the static line etc. and could hang themselves

Back