• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Few Questions for our Japanese Experts

TheMajor

Machine Gunner
Have searched a number of areas but simply cant find out the answers for a few things .

1. Japanese Military Entrenching Tool (Shovel) - I know the holes found in the blade where supposed to help with water draining as you dug with it but where there other reasons for them? Most examples I have seen show the blade detached from the handle with a fairly substancial lenghth of cord wrapped around the handle part. What was this cord used for?

2. Grenade - How did they IJA or Landing forces carry these on them? Most example I have seen show a small cord tied to the pulling pin, I assume that this was then tied to their belt, a strap, etc. When needed did they have to untie it or did them simply pull it to break the string? if so would this also not pull the pin intself? In many movies once they do pull the pin, they the "charge it" by banging it against their helmet prior to throwing it... was this like letting go of the charging spoon on a US grenade?

Thanks for your help

Not a Japanese expert at all but did find for the ETool, from
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Japan/IJA/HB/HB-11.html

(6) Entrenching tool. Entrenching shovels and picks carried by the Japanese are in the ratio of 2 shovels to 1 pick. The shovel has a short wooden handle which is removed from the blade when it is attached to the pack. A rope is attached from the upper end of the handle to a hole in one of the upper corners of the blade so that when the shovel is assembled it can be slung over the shoulder.

No info on the grenade

The Japanese grenades had a string attached to the pin. Pulling on the string removed the pin. Holding onto or hanging the grenade by the string would be a really bad idea. The string and pin were in effect the safety of the grenade.
Once the pin was removed, the top of the grenade would be struck on a hard object. The strike ignited the fuse, then the grenade would be thrown at the intended target.
If the grenade was being fired from a Knee Mortar (propellant charges could be attached to the bottoms of some but not all Japanese grenades) the shock of being discharged would have the same effect as striking the top of the grenade and ignite the fuse. This way a grenade could be loaded into a Knee Mortar and it wouldn't explode while the operator was aiming.
The Japanese ignition system makes alot of sense if the grenades are being fired from a knee mortar but the U.S. system was better than the Japanese or any other system for a grenade that would be thrown.
The Japanese made small cloth grenade pouches but they don't appear in too many pictures.
I always assumed the carried their grenades in thier haversacks.

I am by no means an expert - but I did a little research a few months ago when I was working on a small squad of IJA.

Regarding the grenades:

Apparently soldiers were issued with two grenades and they were stored in the utility pouch (worn center back on the belt). If you look at 1:1 utility pouches or in 1:6 3R's utility pouches from Nakamura Ryuichi you'll see them.

I found this information on the 8th Shidan Reenacting website:

8th Shidan Imperial Uniform Page

Note the utility pouch in the picture is number 14. Scroll down to 14. and you'll see the explanation I am talking about.

Their home page is:

8th Shidan Home

They seem to have a pretty decent website with good reference photos and basic information. I found the rest rather useful - hopefully you will as well!

Hope this helps,

Fred

Thanks Panzercommander...that does make sense... The author even mentions how a lot of reenactors dont know what "those holes are at the botom o f the pouch." Very helpful and thanks for taking the time to research

Back