• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Gebirgjagers Use of Mules?

Dubar1

Company Commander
Patrick, one more question.

I have a Power Team Mule I want to use with my Gebirgs. I've been trying to find a decent picture, drawing, etc of a pack saddle to put on it, but have come up empty except for one picture that is too blurry to make out any detail. What would it be called so I can Google it??? How similar was it to the American pack saddle?

I would also like to know about the Pak Mule I have three of the Power Team Mules and would love to make them into a German mule team.

Grüß Gott Tragtierführers,

First off, Gebirgsjägers call them Muli (moo-LEE).

Second, there are two things you need to know about a Muli...one, the head is where the hay goes in and two, the tail is where the hay comes out!!! :lol:

Now you are offical Tragtierführers! Drei mal Horrido!

I'll see what I can dig up for you on the packsaddles...there are several different types. I won't tell you that I have 4 packsaddles in my collection with a 5th one on the way!!! Just need to convince the wife to let me buy a real Muli.... :-P

Here is a woodcarving that I did of a Muli with Willi und Sepp...they didn't learn the most important two things about the Muli...
williundseppmitmuli8iv.jpg

As to the POWER TEAM'S "so-called" mule....I think it's size and looks are more like a donkey. A mule is about the same size as a horse. Here is a funny photograph I picked up recently:

mulirearsgjweb3ny.jpg

Muli vor!

I found some very good pics in the new Schiffer book I got on German Mountaintroops. As soon as I get a chance I'll scan them and post them here. There are also a few pics of them using horses to haul artillery on thier backs! A really nice shot of a horse drawn sled with an artillery piece one top.

I wonder if the equipment would be the same for German and US pack mules? Ie Tools and equipment to maintain the animal and packs.

I found a old army manual for US Army pack animals that has some good info in it.

vehicle

Grüß Gott Muliführer Vehicle,

The US and German packsaddles are different. I'm not sure about the US tools, though I would think that they would be somewhat similar. Here are some photos of the Hufbeschlagmeister (Farrier) tools and some pack items that I have in my collection:

reading2k5318ug.jpg

shelff016iq.jpg

shelff021bu.jpg

reading2k5321ou.jpg

I have several German packsaddles in my collection, but I am in the process of obtaining the more common version that was used by the Gebirgsjäger. Hopefully, I will have it early in the New Year.

Muli vorwärts und Horrido!

Heeresbergführer, thanks for the pics!, that is one thing i just didnt think of and that is first aid equipment.

Those pics will help alot.

vehicle

Servus Bergkameraden,

There are many different items that were packed on the packsaddles from Medical Supplies, hot food containers, heavy weapons and artillery, etc. A standard mountain division usually had about 4,000 - 6,000 pack animals in it.

Here are the ammo boxes for the Gebirgsgeschütz 36 75mm mountain howitzer...now if I could find the howitzer to go with them!!!!

g36ammomuli2lk.jpg

Muli vor!

Nice pics! Here are three pics of mules two show the wicker baskes they used and one shows a mule pulling a raft thru the water.

PakMules_001.jpg

PakMules_002.jpg

PakMules_003.jpg

Back