• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

"Little white pills"

Kev Longino

I have just re-read "Currahee!" by Donald Burgett and in it he seems to infer that the "motion sickness" tablets doled out to the airborne immediately before D-Day were in fact some sort of stimulant or other drug. He states that they were never issued such tablets before or after D-Day and that troops joked about behaving recklessly under the influence of the tablets.......so out of interest, does anyone know what they actually were?

Hi Kev,

I read some excerpts from other D-Day accounts in Ambrose's book. The effects of these pills were all over the map. The assault troops also appear to have gotten them. Some people got sleepy, others were wired. A 4th ID account stated that a Sgt took several and wigged out, he made it through the assault but has no memory of what happened on the 6th. I looked up the effects of Methamphetamine,which is a stimulant, and the range of effects seem to match the accounts IMHO. Not very likely to get official confirmation that they gave them "speed" before the assault. I suspect the reason was to give them something to keep them alert for an extended period since relief may not be immediately forthcoming. A great mystery none the less. My two cents anyway.
Allen

DuhOh, :S I just saw Mark's e-mail reply to this. I hope someone can do a chemical analysis of a pill to see what it really was, dramamine or something else.
Allen

Thanks Allen - I will go try posting at Mr Bando's board! It's just one of those things you start wondering about and would like to know :-P

Kev,
I saw the posts over on Trigger Time. It looks like it was Dramamine. So, I did some digging into some of the know more minor side effects of it:

· drowsiness or dizziness;
· restlessness, excitation, nervousness, or insomnia;
· blurred or double vision;
· dry mouth, nose, or throat;
· decreased appetite, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea;
· difficulty urinating; or
· an irregular or fast heartbeat

Therefore, depending on an individual's reaction to it, that would explain the range of behaviors exhibited by the airborne and seaborne troops after taking it on 06JUN44.
Allen

Hi Allen
I saw the posts there too and was pretty blown away when I saw Mr Burgett himself replying! To be honest , I was'nt sure he was still alive and it's great to see him actively involved in the celebration and preservation of this area of history. Thanks for your help - hope you had a great Christmas and New Year! :P

Hope your Christmas was merry as well. Enjoy a Happy New year in the Highlands. Give my best to the family.
Allen

Thanks for the clue on contacting Mr Burgett... I must of given away two dozen copies of his Curahee paperback in the 80's when I was a NCO in the 82. That book and 'Starship Troopers' were something I gave every NCO that worked for me.

I retired from the Army several years ago and moved to Michigan. Didn't realize he was from the local area till then...

"Starship Troopers" is one of my ( large! ) collection of favourite SciFi books :!: Welcome to the Sixth Army Group!

Back