• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Patton Armor Museum

SgtRock

Site Admin
Charles Lemons is the curator of The Patton Museum in Lexington, Kentucky. He's been in invaluable source with my 1:6 US motor pool in reference materials regarding US armor/vehicles/trailers from copies of rare photos, to copies of pertinant pages from tech manuals. Very knowledgeable, affable and willing to help with your requests depending on his busy schedule.
Patton Armor Museum Link

From where you are Ken....I wouldn't waste the gas money. The best of the tracks are at Benning. Benning opened a new museum several years ago dedicated to the Infantry.....now it looks like they are turning it into a museum for the ARMY including all branches IE Infantry, Armor, Arty and etc.

The tracks /vehicles that were there (Knox) in the late 50's have either been sold to private collectors, other Museum's IE the Tiger being returned to Germany (I think Munster) in running conditions.

The same can be said for Aberdeen the weapons that I saw in 1961 were gone when the Home Six and I went there again in 1984. Items you will never probably see again: a German K3 cannon(24cm) a Czech (German) built 10.5 cm Howitzer on a cruciform trail, Anzio Annie (28cm Railroad weapon) in her original color, not what she is painted to look like today (when they repainted they covered over ALL the original markings).

Between both of those museum they probably had every variant of the German 250 and 251 half tracks ever made. ) In 84 I asked the Curator at Aberdeen " What happened to the German 1/2 tracks" and he told me they had all be sold...I was floored!

My contacts tell me that most of the weaponry at Hood, Lewis etc will be moved to Benning.

If you want to go to a small good Museum....go to the one in Auburn IN. Ask Chuck....he knows where it is. Our club and MAD met there several years ago and had a swap meet afterwards....great time and we need to do it again.

Yeah.. As an Armor School grad, I was floored when I heard that they moved all the Patton Museum items to Benning. My understanding is that this is not the Combat Arms center of excellent and has much of the historical items from Knox there now.

I wonder if all the records survived from when they brought all those items in. One of our sales guys supports Aberdeen, I wonder if I could ask him to poke around. Certainly would like to see if there is a contact on the reference information or photos.

-joe

Many years ago when the museum was at Fort Knox I asked for some pictures of the interior of a StugIII they had, and they sent me some actual pictures taken with a camera(film type).

I volunteered there in 1980. They had a building made to practice loading a LST. It was full of running vehicles from WW2. I spent a
lot of my time trying to figure out foreign tech manuals and do minor
maintenance on Russian and German tanks.
I got to crew a lot of the vehicles as we moved them about.
Sorry to hear that the cost cutting extends to that wonderful
Museum.

I live and work at Fort Knox. Back in 2010 the museum started removing vehicles, eventually the only thing left open to the public was the Patton display. Since then, they have reopened the rest of the museum, 1/3 of which is the ROTC exhibit, 1/3 is the Patton display and 1/3 is an odd mix of vehicles. Strangely, the Stug III modeler orgle over is still there (it is untouched from since it's capture). The reason the collection was moved to Benning is that the armor school moved to Benning and that is who the collection actually belonged to, that's the official story.

Back