• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Popski's Private Army Jeep

jon math

Rifleman
The PPA got it's start in North Africa and moved to Italy when the fighting there was over. They requested to be reassigned yet again to the Pacific when the European war was finished but that request went unfulfilled and the unit went into the history books as a footnote to the Long Range Desert Group's operations.

IN Italy Pop's army took to using heavily armed jeeps for their weeks-long missions behind German lines. Typically the jeeps used a .50 and a .30 machine gun along with multiple personal weapons. One jeep was known to have twin .30's and Pop's jeep sported twin .50's. Jerry can rack replaced the spare tire which was moved to the opposite side on the rear and usually two were carried with the bumper extended to support the second tire. Smoke dischargers were mounted under the tow hitch, other jerry cans were carried on the sides and on the front bumper, sometimes even on the hood. The long rear bench seat was often mounted in place of the normal passenger seat to give three-across seating.

This DML kit shows most of the modifications. The two ceramic bottles in the rear would have contained rum and were turned on my lathe as was the tea kettle. A bit of scratch building for the jerry can racks, smoke candles, gun mounts, map holder etc and a coat of heavily faded British Bronze green and I'm calling her done.

The figure wears a mix of British, civilian, and American clothing and gear -- typical of Pop's men.

Attachments

• ppa.jpg
    ppa.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 54
  • ppa4.jpg
    ppa4.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 38
  • ppa3.jpg
    ppa3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 43
The First British Airborne Recce, the later famous Arnhem lads, first deployed in Italy in 1943. Their jeeps were at that time unarmed, and they were jealous of the SAS jeeps with their twin Vickers K-guns. So when one Recce troop overran a surprised and intact German airfield, the troopers mounted twin captured MG-15 aircraft guns on their jeeps' passenger sides! :)

Back