• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Questions on combat uniforms of the 327th GIR , Bastogne

arbomambo

Company Commander
Hello all...
I have a question concerning the type of unis worn by the 327th GIR troops during the 'Bastogne' campaign...specifically, the type of trousers and combat boots...
were the troopers attired in M43 trousers, rigger-modified like the PIR troopers (the 327th GIR troopers in the movie 'Battleground' are all wearing rigger-modified M43s), and did they also wear corcorrans at this time? (also depicted in the same movie).
I know a lot of 101st troopers had 'gone back' to their cherished corcorrans after Holland; did most of the GIR guys get them at this time?....not too much in the way of historical photos during this time, and for good reason...
I was just wondering if anyone had any info on this...would like to do a couple of bashes of 327th GIR guys during this time, and of course, realizing that just about anything was possible, would still like to know if the standard uni was 'commonplace' for the GIR guys as well.
Thanks,
Bruce

Glider riders were outfitted as regular "straight-leg" infantry. They would have service shoes, leggings and parson jackets on d-day and 2-buckle boots and the field jacket by Bastogne. It was possible some glider troops would have acquired some jump boots but their paratroop colleagues would not be too impressed with that.

Hi arbomambo

By Market-Garden, all photos seem to indicate that 327th troopers were pretty much indistinguishable from the PIR troopers, with the exception of M-1928 haversacks vs. M-36 mussette bags. Any photo I've seen from Holland and later show universal use of rigger-modified M43s by GIR guys.

I agree with Bullottowa that jump boots would be scarce in the GIR ranks, especially in the 101st. However, there is a photo of officers of the 82nd's 325th GIR during the Bulge with virtually every one wearing jump boots.

Brent

Thanks guys...
knowing all the while that the glider riders were, generally, indistinguishable from standard infantry...there are still, plenty of photos showing elements of the 82nd's 325th GIR loading up for the 'Detroit' and 'Elmira' missions on June 5th/6th...among them SEVERAL glider riders wearing corcorrans...
I guess the main focus of the question was the use of 'rigger-modified' M43's by the time of the Bastogne campaign...(regardless of how much the paratroopers loved and 'esteemed' their corcorrans...it's obvious that a lot of folks, Army AND Navy types were wearing them by D-day...heck..the 5th and 2nd Rangers were ISSUED them for the invasion...not to mention all the engineer and Navy Beach battalions alsowearing them during the invasion)
I know most of the 82nd (well, at least the 504th) jumped into Holland still wearing Corcorrans, even though, officially, the 101st and 82nd were required to turn in their boots for the new duble-buckle version...
I understand that a lot of the 101st, after leaving the 'Island' and after heading to Mourmelon...'re-acquired' their corcorrans in lieu of the double-buckles...so a lot of them moved to Bastogne, back in their 'signature' boots...
But, again, seeing as how the PIR's and the rest of the US army in Northern Europe were transitioning into the M43 jacket and trousers, I was just wondering if the troopers depicted in the film were wearing accurate gear...I believe, for it's day...that the movie was VERY accurate in feel...props,gear,sound, and accuracy of story (Heck...they even used an M18 'Hellcat' for a couple of scenes featuring a tank destroyer...the 705th used the M18's pretty effectively during the defense)...the movie didn't try to pass the troops off as parachute infantry...it was made very clear in the beginning of the film that these guys 'went to war in a glider'...
Brentce...it seems as if you have some info that, at least, some of the 327th had rigger-modified M43's...that should help...!
thanks,
Bruce

Bruce,

You are correct that Battleground is a very accurate portrayal of the GIR guys during the bulge.

I have several photos showing members of the GIR guys heading into Holland wearing rigger modified M-43s and mostly 2-buckle boots. Corcorans were mixed in too, but as you mentioned the 101st were pretty much ordered to wear the 2-buckles... There's a famous pic of glider guys standing near a crashed glider wearing M-43s, mix of boots and with musettes as well. But that bei'ng said, I've also got a photo of GIR guys heading to their gliders with 28 packs. Again, these are all for Op. Market Garden.

But that being said, if they had M-43's for Holland, chances are pretty good they had 'em for Bastogne. I do have a few pics in some books of GIR guys in Bastogne with the M-43's and again a mixture of boots.

You need to remember by the time of Holland, the GIR guys received extra pay like their jump qualified brothers did and finally were recognized as 'Airborne' troops. With this came the time when Glider guys became more like the Paratroopers, as far as appearance is concerned. Hence similar uniforms and equipment.

So in my best opinion, if you are choosing to bash a GIR from Bastogne, I'd go with rigger mod M-43's and your 'typical' Airborne equipment and you can't go wrong with either jump or 2-buckle boots. But you could also do overshoes...

Good luck, what ever you decide to do, I can't wait to see him.

-JOSH

I don't have much to add, it seems the main points were covered, and I agree with all that's been said. Rigger modified is fine and you can get away with buckle tops or corcorans. I think one place corcorans might get looked at the wrong way would be if a non paratrooper wore them with his class A uniform while swanning about on pass. A jump qualified paratrooper might give him grief. But in the field....I've even seen pictures of tankers and mechanics wearing them.
I actually rewatched the film Battleground this morning with your question in mind. There are actually a lot of two buckle boots shown, and later rubber over shoes . Abner Spudner is one very noticable exception, He definately has Corcorans. But most of the others look like they have buckle tops and then overshoes. One more thing, you don't see a lot of cartridge belts. Instead it's pistol belts with suspenders and then bandoliers for ammo. I guess wardrobe had a hard time finding cartridge belts. Still it's surprising just how accurate the movie is.

Tim

Tim...
you're right...lots of double-buckles too...
I'm pretty sure that, by the end of the Bastogne campaign, the Glider guys within the division, had pretty much 'earned their spurs' as far as getting the respect from the PIR guys...the airborne artillery guys as well...
Yea...the movie (along with '12 o'clock' High' w/Gregory Peck) still stand out as masterpieces of films trying to depict the sacrifices of the regular fighting man...
I remember first seeing the movie as a kid and remembering that the rifles and carbines didn't make the 'riccochet' sound that became the standard of the 60's era war movies that I grew up on...asking my Dad if they (the M1 and the carbine)really sounded like that (he served with the 82nd)-of course, now I know that that carbine shoots (and sounds) not much more powerfully than a .22LR!...very accurate sound in the movie...
Perhaps, the only inaccurate thing in the entire movie might be the use of the 'Joey' cadence in that great final scene...by the time the film was made...in 1949 I believe, the 'Joey' cadence had become pretty popular in the US Army...but a lot of folks aren't too sure they ever heard it or drilled/marched to it during the war...supposedly it, the 'cadence', has post-war roots...although the name and the term 'Joey' was used during the war a lot (representing the guy back in the states who was probably romancing your girl/wife....)
regardless...it's effective during that inspirational last scene.
Great movie...that's for Dang sure!
Bruce

"Jody's got your girl and gone".. part of the modern cadences that allude to the dude who stayed behind and took your girl, your money, etc... Not sure when Joey changed to Jody or why. Isn't Jody a girls name?

Jody even became a term for cadence itslef. Not sure when it happened or how either.

I know this has nothing to do with your original topic, but thought I would add that in there. Let me know if ya want it gone.

Braverifles,
you're right...it IS Jody...I typed 'Joey...and continued the mistake..
kind of went off topic...but the original question still concerns the use of rigger-modified M43's with tie-downs as depicted in the film...
Bruce

Back