• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Questions on US overcoats

Hi everybody

Im trying to put together a Bastogne US paratrooper and I hope I can benefit from your help and knowledge of US uniforms.

Ive read somewhere on the internet (at the front militaria, actually) that GIs used to shorten the Melton overcoats (M39 or 42) by cutting the lower part of the coat. Ive seen this done by a character in Band of Brothers Bastogne episode, and I guess they did their research, but I wonder if anyone else has heard of this...Ive never noticed it on period photographs and I wonder if any of you knows about this.

Thanks for your help guys !

Also, while Im at it. Ive read the various threads about overcoats and I gather the Dml roscoe version (sort of dark green) is the best version on the market. But what about the Battlegear toys version ? is it soooo off color-wise or can I use it. (I already have one Roscoe and one BGT, but Im hesitating on which one to use right now)

Thanks again...and a happy new year to everyone.

Don't take my word for it but I'm sure they did.A vet friend of mine who was in the 9th Air Corps as a radar operator gave me his over coat and he had shortened it down.So I assume they may have done the same.

I was also thinking about doing this to one of my Roscoe jackets. My Favourite part of bashing Bastogne troopers is the overcoats, but I don't want them to look all the same.

Overcoats

You could also dress your figure with a rain coat over the top of the long wool overcoat.See the movie Battleground for reference.

From what I've read those that had shortened their coats had done so for a few reasons.

1) Apparently, the long coat was prone to soaking up a lot of moisture from the snow and this made it very heavy after you'd been walking through it, laying in it etc etc...

2) Some also shortened the coat because the coats would sometimes give off the same silhouette as the German Great Coat.

3) Some also chopped their coats in order to use the extra wool to cover boots, hands, anywhere they needed a bit more warmth.

hope that helps :!:

Another reason for shortening the greatcoat to aid in running. Hard to run with a long heavy greatcoat on

The Us Army also had a "Calvary Coat" which is essentially a melton jacket like a Navy pea coat. In photos it would be indistinguishable from an overcoat with its tails cut off.

Back