• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Shhhh...More beards....

original paintbrush

Machine Gunner
Don't tell anyone, it's a secret, because it "wouldn't fly (words at another 1/6th forum):

http://naziswithbeards.tumblr.com/

My favorites: a custom italian camo tunic & cap with a nice bit of sculpted hair - pg 6 - and a FJ just receiving an Iron Cross, with facial hair pg 2 (oh the horrors!).

Found this by accident today, but man, I love finding new pics. Esp. those that prove the nay-sayers wrong.

Other verbotten topics you may find actual 1:1 pics of:
- medics with sidearms
- someone other than hitler youth or 1st ss wearing italian camo
- german field caps in any number of variations
- white-washed everything (but, but, why paint a moving part?)
- metal insignia on caps
- full camo outfits other than pea-dot
- mismatched camo (no! fully coordinated camo was the norm!)
- early camo being worn late in the war
- ditto reg. tunics & pants
- People wearing SS camo who aren't SS
- People wearing Heer camo who aren't Heer
- Captured weapons (they'd get shot!)
- Germans wearing Russian uniforms
- Russians wearing German uniforms
- the 101st airborne didn't always follow regulations
- enlisted ranks with custom clothing
- Privates with SMG's (no- that's not what they were issued!)

I could go on...but you get the drift. :amer_rollin:

Some great shots. It's funny because I think a lot of people's perceived notions are based on movies and TV shows, mostly from the 50's and 60's.
Thanks for sharing.

Tim

You cannot be finite to one logic or the other. There were millions of men in the Wehrmacht. And lots of diffret uniforms and circumstances. Here is my counter argument to why the "no beard principle" is still mostly true. Here are some explanations to the "majorly of pics presented in the website posted.

1. Ethic soldiers such as Muslims and indians were authorized beards
2. Gerbrigjagers seemed to have some sort of relaxed standard (at least for officers)
3. Soldiers don't always shave in freezing weather (ask me how i know), as it is very in practical. A lot of those photos were in the winter
4. When in continual combat for days and weeks you do not have the time or equipment to shave.
5. When water is in low supply shaving is the first thing to go.
6. Sub crews were also allowed to grow beards

These are just some examples I can think of. I think this covers some of the pics but there are still some that look hard/contradictory to explanation.

Always fun! Photographic evidence always trumps armchair experts.

ZP

:-D :-D :-D

I remember have seen that gallery in the past, now discovered to all of us by OP. Thank you buddy, always nice to see again some of those photos.

Harry Wontorra, also knows as the prototypical LAH NCO

Jaime.

Reguarding U-boat crews and beards, I asked my uboat vet Edgar about beards and he told me they didn't shave during patrols to save water. He said they didn't bathe either for the same reason. The only water available for bathing and shaving was to use sea water, but that left salt on your skin which erratated the skin. After arriving back at home base they were allowed to wear their beards for 2 days then it had to be shaved off. He said it was one of the "perks" being in the uboat service

Not to high-jack the thread, but I did have a question on the photo of Harry Wontorra. What is the braided cord on the right side of the uniform (left side of photo)? I don't think that I have ever seen that before.

I am sure that someone on the forum knows what that is or has another photo example. Just wanting to educate myself on something new to me.

Thanks,
joe

That cord is a braided whistle cord. It is on the right side because there are no pockets on the left side of a wrapper. The Heer and SS also have the braided cord on the right side and the whistle is in the right upper pocket on their regular tunic

But there are no regulations that say which side the whistle cord is to be worn so I would assume it would be users choice. It wouldn't be worn for dress uniform or walking out dress

Back