• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Supercommandos Cover Identification Help

Tom Sawyer

Marksman
I am planning on bashing a FSSF figure like the one on the cover of the book and I see what looks like pouches of some kind on the man's belt. What kind are they? Can anybody help me possibly identify what rank he is, and what kind of equipment he has? It is on google under Supercommandos. Thanks in advance.

That is Sgt. Cyril Krotzer of the HQ 2nd Regt. after a raid. He seems to be wearing an ordinary rifle cartridge belt that so tight that the pouches extend his full waist.

Drummerboy is correct... these pouches are simply part of the M1923 cartridge belt that typically held ammunition clips for the M1 Garand ad M1903 Springfield.

What is interesting and confusing about the photo on the cover is that the trooper is carrying an M1A1 Thompson SMG, which used .45 caliber ammunition typically inserted into 20 or 30 round external magazines whereas the M1923 cartridge belt typically carried 8-round clips of .30 caliber ammunition for the Garand or five-round stripper clips for the Springfield.

devils.jpg

m1923.jpg

If you are looking for further ID help with the photo, SGT Krotzer also appears to have a standard M1942 first aid pouch as well as an M1910 canteen cover.

I can't tell if he is wearing a standard M1 helmet or an M1C or M2 paratrooper helmet with the inverted "A" haress removed. That is of little consequence however as the differences are fairly minute and only for the real obsessive accuracy freak, like me. :D

I cannot tell if he is wearing an M1941 or M43 field jacket. If I had to guess, I would say the M1941 based on how loosely the jacket appears to fit him with minimal length showing under the waist line. I think the longer M43 field jacket would appear longer on this troop. But that's just a guess. The M43 was a bit bulkier and typically extended beyond the bottom of the canteen cover when worn. Before someone jumps my stuff, that is just a subjective measure based on some photos I viewed in the book just now. The photo was taken in April of 1944, which is typically before most in the ETO got the M43, but the FSSF got the heartier field jackets prior to others given their working conditions and the elite status of the unit. Other photos from April of 44 in the book show high ranking officers wearing almost pristine M43s. Either would work unless you are trying to exactly replicate this particular trooper. The easiest ways to tell the difference are the pockets and the relative length. Neither of which are apparent in this picture. The M1941 of course had the diagonal slit pockets on the sides, while the M43 had the two upper patch pockets and two lower horizontal side slit pockets, both sets with flaps and unexposed buttons or snaps. I don't see evidence of the upper flaps, but the loosely fitting jacket is bunched up preventing a clear view.

But he is sporting the Mountain Trousers with side cargo pockets. These were mainstays of the FSSF as well as the 10th Mountain Division unless I miss my guess.

He's also toting an M1911 .45 caliber pistol on his right hip with standard hip holster.

Fairly certain he is wearing an M43 jacket - the M41 had the bi-fold rear which would show up as a fold on the back running up to the shoulder epaulet about 1 inch above the shoulder seam. Also the way the cuffs are folded looks like the M43 style.

Also of note in this picture is the sling on the Thompson - it doesn't appear to be the normal M3 sling(Kerr sling) which was the issue item - I believe it's a M1923 canvas sling(issued with the M1903 rifle).

Back