View Single Post
Old 01-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #42
Golden Boy
Machine Gunner

As far as I am concerned, my hobby is not a secret: I don't go around advertising my passion to the world, because frankly it's nobody's business, but if someone asks I'm not shy to tell them. I've learnt to adopt a sort of military correctness approach to the hobby: if they don't ask, I won't tell.
But as far as my family and friends are concerned, I've heard my fair share of 'army barbie' jokes, but you know what, as soon as a new figure or parts come in, my older brother is always the first one to come in admire and say how cool the collection is...he's even helped me find a couple of rare figures on ebay!
But I see it as a harmless hobby just like any other, and when you look at it, everybody has a dark little hobby that costs them bundles of money. Whenever my family or friends start on the 'doll' jokes, I just return fire: my brother collects vintage soccer jerseys which in my opinion all look the same and cost way too much; my father is in love with collecting watches, mind you they are nice, but how many Tissots and Omegas can you have that you never wear; my mother collects shoes, which still remains a mystery to me; and when my best friend ridicules me because of my hobby, I just point out that the fact that at least once a month he gets at least 500.00$ worth of parking and speeding tickets...now who is wasting their money now?
When it comes to making your hobby public, it is not a question of being ashamed or embarassed because you play with toys, its a question of showing something that is trully important to you, something that makes you happy, allows you to relax, and for many here, to express themselves.
I know that for me, my collection is a way unwind, to relive my childhood, and express my artistic inhibitions.
Besides one my girlfriends was very impressed by the collection and even said to me: a person that puts this much attention and detail into one thing, must trully be devoted in all apsects of their life. That really stuck with me.
Golden Boy is offline   Reply With Quote