Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 01-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

Seeking some information on US M2 Mortar

Hello!
Need some help again.
Been watching the series The Pacific once again and wanted to work on some more Marine bashes. Is the mortar used in the Peleliu eposides the M2 Mortar?
Did Dragon release that mortar with any figure?
Is the one in kit form that Dragon I know released the correct one for the ones used by Marines in 1944?
And finally, in the Peleliu episode that they charge the airfield, one of the members of the mortar crew is carrying what seems like a satchel or pouch that I can only guess that is carrying some of the mortar ammo. Is that the case. One of the main characters(Sledge) was carrying the base of the mortar, but he also had a satchel or pouch of some kind, across his chest (right shoulder to left hip). It kind of flapped aroundmore than you would expect it too if it had ammo. Maybe it is a map case carrying some range charts etc. He also had a compass pouch. Would the rounds be carried in a hard case or in some pouch?
Did any DML or other manufacturer produce the ammo pouch or case?

Thanks in advance for any help!

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

re: Seeking some information on US M2 Mortar

ZP do you remember what figure it was a part of? The only Marine I remember from bbi was Dusty Rhodes and I do not recall anything to do with a mortar. Also in the TV series it did not appear that they had any vests on. But have to check the scene again!

www.egonzinc.com
Old 01-07-2014, 04:41 AM   #3
RogueJK
Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by egonzinc View Post
Did Dragon release that mortar with any figure?
Yes. DML offered the M2 Mortar with their "Sgt. Nagashima" figure:
Dragon Models USA - "Sgt. Nagashima" Red Bull Division

In addition, BBi offered the M2 Mortar with their "Red Parker" figure.

The BBi figure also came with a M2 Ammo Bag (actually a vest), which was commonly used to carry mortar rounds, ammo cans, bazooka rounds, and other heavy ammo. Looking for photo's of M2 ammo bag in use - EPHEMERA & PHOTOGRAPHS - U.S. Militaria Forum has some nice period photos showing the M2 Bag/Vest in use.

However, in stills from that episode of 'The Pacific', Sledge appears to have a GP Ammo Bag slung across his body. That could conceivably have been used to hold mortar ammo, or it may have held extra grenades and small arms ammo.

Last edited by RogueJK; 01-07-2014 at 05:01 AM.
RogueJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
thetoysurgeon
Battalion Commander

Formative International is the only maker of the M2 ammo vest. I have 3 of them and were featured in my USMC 37 mm beach dio shoot. they are laying on the sand with the ammo rounds on top. They were used with the bazooka, mortars and 37mm. Baseplate was carried in a bag. 12 mortar rounds per carrier. On second thought there is another maker, I think maybe Dragon or cyberhobby.

Here is a link but I cant get it to work

http://www.bloodybucket.com/Weapons%...r%20Detail.htm

Last edited by thetoysurgeon; 01-07-2014 at 01:00 PM.
thetoysurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Kurt1917
Rifleman

Hallo!

I would have to rewatch "The Pacific' paying attention to the actors' kit.

But yes, Sid Phillips carries an M1 as he exits the LCVP in Part 1, and gets it ready in prep for the Battle of the Tenaru River.

Then, later... Eugene Sledge, Robert Oswalt, Merriell 'Snafu' Shelton are an M2 team under the command of Cpl. R.V. Burgin for the Peleliu. I am fairly sure Sledge is wearing an M2 vest (he is hanging the round in this image...)

Old 01-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
Kurt1917
Rifleman

Hallo!

in brief and to over generalize maybe...

In looking at Period images, it would to be almost a combination of the mortar crews' druthers, how dug in or fortified their position, or how hot and heavy the fire mission might have been.

As a result, there is a mix of "ammo on the right" practices.

and over to Army in Europe...

Last edited by Kurt1917; 01-07-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Kurt1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Kurt1917
Rifleman

Hallo!

Just some mortar trivia from an army demonstration August 7, 1942:

From Hardscrabble Farm website

Last edited by Sixth Vanguard; 01-07-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Kurt1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

Re: Seeking some information on US M2 Mortar

I'll have to watch the scene again and check the vest, but I looked at Sledge darefullyband don't think he had that vest on as shown above.
He was carrying the base by hand.
Also checked the details of Leckie and the one character that really caught my attention, Captain Haldane.

Thanks a lot for all the input!

www.egonzinc.com
Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #9
pangaloss

Eduardo, I do remember seeing an ammo vest on someone in the Pacific, I just don't remember who or when I saw it, I have a funny feeling I saw Sledge wearing one during one of the later Peleilu scenes. I'll need to watch it again (No problem, I really enjoyed it) I don't know if the vest which came with Red Parker is accurate or not. I have two of them and I use them in shots with both my Marines and my European theatre Army GI's.
I do recall that Sledge does carry ready rounds in an ammo bag or even a gas mask bag during the assault on Peleilu.
One part of a mortar which does demand it's own small carrying case is the collimator sight. Usually the Cpl carried the sight.
A typical USMC mortar section would be commanded by a Sgt and include three mortars. Each mortar would have a Cpl in charge, A gunner and an assistant and three ammo carriers. The Mortar would consist of the tube with the bipod attached, the base plate, and the aiming stakes, finally the sight.
That's about all I remember from my own reading on the subject. There is bound to be more informative info out there.
I've got a hand full of the DML M2 Mortars and they are ok, but my 2 BBi M2 which came with the Red Parker figure are really nice. I think they are more finely detailed.

Here's a shot of a couple of my late war GI's firing their mortar, note the ammo vests.

Tim
Tim

Last edited by pangaloss; 01-07-2014 at 11:23 PM.
pangaloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #10
chamildav
Battalion Commander

The bbi mortars do seem to be slightly more accurate and they are better detailed than the DML versions. I don't know how accurate the Red Parker ammunition carrier vest is either but it's a nice looking piece of gear. And unlike the Formative version the straps and fasteners aren't shiny ribbon. But scale wise I think both are pretty close. Anyway, a bbi Red Parker figure would get you a nice M2 mortar and a good looking ammo carrier if you see one around. It also comes with a packboard and straps. Good figure.
chamildav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #11
thetoysurgeon
Battalion Commander

I knew there was another figure that had the ammo vest. couldn't remember. The FIs can be refitted but I wanted because of their color. The BBI ones are darker. They actually had light (khaki) and a darker green. I was going to do a USMC mortar crew at the beach but wasn't ready. I did some research and found some good sites. The one I mentioned went in to detail. I was trying to figure out how the 60mm rounds were carried because the cardboard tube is smaller . They either taped 2 together or there was a special long cardboard tube that housed 2 rounds. Another interesting things is when wearing a pack. Some only carried in the front pockets with a pack, but some had a pack over the rear filled pockets. Looked strange. Ammo was supplied from the wooden crate or the nice little metal square container as shown above in the pics. I think a 30 cal ammo can fits as well.

Last edited by thetoysurgeon; 01-08-2014 at 02:35 AM.
thetoysurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #12
M37M880
Company Commander

Kurt has dug up some interesting mortar shots. The shots contain shots of the three different mortar sizes. The 60mm mortar is the size discussed here, which were used at a company "weapons section". At the battalion level you would find 81mm mortars and at the next level would be the 4.2" mortar.... the big mutha of U.S. mortars.

You can easily see the different sizes by the size of the mortar round if you don't see the difference is the tubes. The difference is striking. I have a 60mm and a 81mm round. Right now they are buried in my garage or I'd post a pic. Right now with my garage hovering around 5 degrees, I can't dig around for them.

Back in my VN era Army, I was trained on the 81mm and the 4.2" mortars along with my baby, the 106mm Recoilless Rifle. In my Army that was a "weapons" section.

Charlie