Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #11
azazel526
Rifleman

Re: 1:6 nashorn 88 mm self-propelled guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by loic View Post
Amazing job! I LOVE to see a "transparent tank"! That would be a great idea for a tank with full interior

To answer a few of your questions:

1) How old is your FOA kit? FOA has updated all the Pz.IV parts and accessories about a couple years ago, including the wheels. Now made from Masters of Frontline Hobbies

2) When the metal parts separate, there is a method to repair the connection. It is in the instruction manual. Basically make an L shape bracket and glue/bolt to both sides. It does not involve welding

3) Bending the front curved armor is easy with 20 gauge metal. Just use a "fire extinguisher" or some large pipe to control your bend angle

Your final product is VERY convincing. Congratulation on a beautiful tank!

I'm currently finishing a commission build Nashorn for a customer, with full crew from Egonzinc, and Ton is also starting another commission build Nashorn for a European customer. We will post all these pictures here

My FOA nashorn kit was purchased around 2010, and I bought Panzer IV in 2011, both of which have inconsistent wheel thickness. I'm upset about that. I can manage to improve road wheel and The tail wheel by myself, but I have no way to improve The driving wheel. This can cause the wheel to jam or derail when the vehicle moves forward
About steel plate fracture, when I received nashorn suite, car body on both sides of the steel plate is broken, and because the side armor version is too heavy, I can't rely on myself a person to install (hold the steel plate, and then punched or using reinforced Angle), I can only use some glue is unreliable. Because I was a novice at the time, I didn't know how to drill holes on steel plates (which is still a problem today). I've had a lot of experience in recent years, but the initial hull has been closed and it's hard to reinforce it again (unless the entire vehicle is demolished). Recently, the front deck of nashorn was also broken, which prompted me to decide to abandon the whole body and make a new one
I am glad to hear that you have improved the parts. Maybe I will purchase some new parts later. But I've recently been partial to a homemade vehicle. There are some obvious advantages to using acrylic. For example, the acrylic is transparent, and when you install the board, you can see all the structures, and you can reduce the error probability to the lowest, very precise. Acrylic is also very good processing, drilling there is no problem. In addition, the acrylic weight is lighter, and my nashorn has lost 30 percent of its weight. The only drawback is that acrylic is more brittle, easy to fracture, this need to be careful to maintain, but I think, to use ABS plate can avoid this problem, the same light and easy to process, I suggest you use ABS sheet fully replace steel plate, in the field of static model
azazel526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
loic
Machine Gunner

Contact me directly at loic@fieldofarmortanks.com. I'm not sure if you built your Pz.IV yet but I can help

The FOA Pz.IV family is in 20-gauge metal because there are LOTS of bends and small parts. Our larger offerings like the Panther, Tiger I, Jaagdtiger are in ABS, which is easy to detail and model.

We are currently converting the lower hull of the Kingtiger to ABS as well, but the turret will stay metal (18-gauge) due to its curvature

Looking forward to seeing more builds from you. The detail is exceptional
Old 10-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #13
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

A great build, as one who built one of the first FOA Nashorns I can relate to your problems. I know that they have taken care of the early problems with the road wheels and armor. That is one Very Nice Nashorn that you have built. Looks perfect.
GB
Old 10-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #14
Squidley
Company Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth Vanguard View Post
I really like the clear version as well. reminds me of those "Visible" models that used to be so popular
Me too! Did a "visible mustang" a lifetime ago.

But back to the tank. It looks excellent, and I love the camo!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #15
Hammer Six
Company Commander

Freaking Awesome....KUDOS!

Queen of Battle "Follow Me"

Sixth Scale Collectors Club-Cincinnati OH

ut morte tyranni

Hammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #16
azazel526
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loic View Post
Contact me directly at loic@fieldofarmortanks.com. I'm not sure if you built your Pz.IV yet but I can help

The FOA Pz.IV family is in 20-gauge metal because there are LOTS of bends and small parts. Our larger offerings like the Panther, Tiger I, Jaagdtiger are in ABS, which is easy to detail and model.

We are currently converting the lower hull of the Kingtiger to ABS as well, but the turret will stay metal (18-gauge) due to its curvature

Looking forward to seeing more builds from you. The detail is exceptional
Many years ago, I bought the Nashorn, Jagdpanzer, on EBAY. Pz.IV I don't remember buying it on EBAY or buying from FOA's official website, I only remember that Panther was purchased from FOA. But these products are definitely FOA products. My E-mail address is dendong123@163.com and azazel526@gmail.com. I can use 163 E-mail to send a mail to you. But I remember in the EBAY purchase tanks suite, I'm using Google E-mail address, because the Chinese government has strengthened the network blockade, I can't use Google E-mail address. And because I haven't used EBAY for a long time, I forgot my password. Therefore, cannot query the purchase record of that year.
azazel526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #17
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

An outstanding build. Fantastic final result with beautiful camo and weathering.
On a minor note, there were no Nashorns used by the SS. All were used by heavy anti tank units of the Heer and used as fire units to help problematic areas, particularly of the Eastern Front.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful miniature!

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #18
tankfan0720
Machine Gunner

Very nice build. The paint and weathering really is impressive. Fantastic details!
Bob
tankfan0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #19
SteveKrieg
Tanker

That is just superb...if only the dictionary contained more words that define how great something is, I'd definitely find a use for them on this post...simply outstanding. Thanks for sharing, Steve
SteveKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote