Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 06-01-2018, 02:54 AM   #1
armourguy
Company Commander

Large ECA announcement, New parts, new materials, new vehicles

Hi Everyone, There is some big news at ECA. Over the last few months I've tooled up more new components for many of my 1/6 product lines.

Currently I have a handful of 1/6 customer builds going on and while building the tanks I decided to make the following parts below

Starting with the Tiger I, I've added more components for the tank's engine compartment interior.
http://eastcoastarmory.com/tiger.htm

Resin German First pattern firewall vent. This pattern of vent would have been present on the First 250 vehicles that were produced with the HL210 Engine

Resin German Second pattern firewall vent. This pattern of vent would have been present on the vehicles that were produced with the HL230 Engine

As for the King tiger, I have some new hull suspension details, http://eastcoastarmory.com/kingtiger.htm

Resin German King Tiger Bump Stop set

Because the tank I'm working on is RC, the resin component for this application is less then ideal. So rather then using resin I decided to tool up these parts in cast Metal. The parts have the exact same detailing as the static ones I listed above, and once painted will look identical, but will be stronger for better holding up to RC use.

In addition to the above I've also been working on a armortek T34/85. this being my first foray into Russian armor in this scale, it gives me the opportunity to create a new product line. The first new parts are listed below and I will have more in the future.

http://eastcoastarmory.com/t34.htm

Resin T34 Bump stop set. Like with the King tiger variant these will consist of standard resin parts for the mounts and flex resin for the bumps. Also included are micro fasteners for the mounting

Also just like with the KT parts because the tank is RC, Cast metal versions have been tooled up as well,

Cast metal T34 Bump stop set. Set include enough parts to equip one T34 tank. Set is pre machined, and drilled for flex resin bump stop mounting

I do have plans on producing these items in resin for static builds, these will be announced / released during the next couple of weeks

Cast metal T34 track pin aligner set. Set is pre machined, drilled, and tapped

Cast metal T34 swing arm aligner rail set

In the past couple of Months I've also cracked the code and learned the black magic of CAD and 3d Printing. With this method I can cut down on my workload / shipping time as these parts being made in 3d print don't need to be casted. Over the next year I will be going through my catalogs and removing current resin and metal parts and replacing them with printed versions.

Some parts will remain in cast resin as this media works better in some applications i.e. Cast texturing. But for many parts the printed variants will be as good if not better. This is also true for my hand made metal parts as these are time consuming to process due to their nature and the printed ones will give the same level of detail and require less time / trouble to process.

In addition to the above many of my older parts are becoming dated with their tooling and rather then updating / rebuilding the master to make new molds I will phasing these out all together with printed counterparts.

Finally with using this media I will be able to produce parts that would otherwise be more difficult / impossible to make in traditional medias. This also includes the ability for me to now develop full 1/6th scale kits... which I have in development and will have more info on this to come

One of the first to introduce will be these King Tiger hub cap fastener plate detail set. This set here will replace the resin set that is on the KT product line. I have a set getting printed now, I have a set in print now and once in hand I can get some pics posted of the sets and what they look like mounted.

M20 Recoilless Rifle shell set. This was one set I've wanted to produce since 2006 when Dragon released this model, and the stock shell left room for improvement but due to the shape of the rounds are impossible to make in resin due to the holes in the shell. The shells in two variants, loaded and spent.

One version will be "loaded". The loaded one in the pics was a prototype and will not be added to the catalog. Since I got this version in hand I found a way to improve it further and make it more detailed / easier to paint. The 2.0 version is currently in print. Of which I will have more info once available.

The other variant that I have and is currently available is the "spent" shell. These are offered in two options for material. One is cheaper but has more print lines. The other is more costly, but has a better surface appearance. The idea is that if you need one or two shells for shelf display where it will be more visible, you would use the HD version. If you need volume for a diorama where you have a pile of spent casing, or if you are on more of a budget the standard version would be a better choice

Old 06-01-2018, 03:28 AM   #2
armourguy
Company Commander

Re: Large ECA announcement, New parts, new materials, new vehicles

Now for something off topic, but 1/6 non the less I've also been developing an entire range of upgrade parts for the old 21st Century M151 Mutt. The Idea I had for this catalog was to utilize as much 3d Printed parts as possible.

All parts and new upcoming parts will be posted on the following link,
http://eastcoastarmory.com/m151.htm

Also many of the parts in the photos are samples and will be printed in better materials on the production units

3D Printed M151 series functional front bumper hook set.

3D Printed M151 series functional rear corner hook set

3D Printed M151 series / GPW Jeep rear bumper set

3D Printed Early pattern M151 Mutt pedals set. Set includes the clutch / break cluster, and the early pattern "spoon" accelerator pedal

3D Printed late pattern M151 Mutt pedals set. Set includes the clutch / break cluster, and the late pattern "hook" accelerator pedal

M151A2 Spare tire. Spare tire is comprised of three parts. 1 3D Printed hub, 1 cast rubber tire, and 1 flex resin valve stem

M151A2 Mutt complete wheel.

3D Printed M151 domed Domed hub variant. This version replicates the type of wheel that doesn't have the center winch hook that is found on some wheels. I have seen pics of M151s with this type of wheel mounted or with this type of wheel mixed in with the others. Mostly though this wheel is found on the trailer. Currently I have this unit in print and will have it in hand shortly.

PRC-77 Radio, model is done and is print. More to come

In addition to the mutt parts I also have a new full kit in the works that will be ready to launch by early next week. More to come!
Old 06-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
armorpax
Battalion Commander

Very impressive John, being a bit of a dinosaur its a skill I have not yet mastered but suppose I ought to :-)

Really like the separate hub and cast tyre. Soft resin or another medium?

Best regards

Dave

armorpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:51 AM   #4
armourguy
Company Commander

Thanks Dave, the material is a cast rubber. So far I've had good results with it. I will also be using it for other applications as so far it works well
Old 06-02-2018, 05:00 AM   #5
ROB48
Platoon Leader

John,
As usual, some nice looking parts. I'll be saving my money.
Bob
ROB48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:37 AM   #6
armourguy
Company Commander

The New ECA Full kit has just been Announced, which will be the M40A1 106mm Recoilless Rifle!

The model in the pics is of the prototype, however the production kits will be almost identical to the one in the pictures with the addition of a couple extra parts and some better fitting.

The model will be comprised entirely of 3D printed parts. No Resin parts are to be used on this model. This is done to speed up production, and to ensure consistency with each kit produced. The only parts which will not be printed will be the barrel sections, some hardware, and a flex resin eye cup.

The model will also feature several functions / features which will include, functional Breech block, with lock lug detailing

Adjustable tripod legs, Functional vehicle locks, barrel elevation / transverse. The tripod legs are all hollow like the real units and are one piece to simply assembly

Elevation / rotation crank wheels are also fully detailing including their undersides (it's more easily witnessed after painting).

The model's rear receiver section is one hollow part that has most of the details / components integrally printed. This was also a way to cut down on the needed parts, and to speed up / simply the build.

The Optic is printed in a clear HD material for both crisper details, but also to replicate clear lenses when fully completed. The protective eye cup in the photo is the master and will be molded / casted in a rubber material for better accuracy / detail.

I was also able to recreate the Data / ID plate. All verbiage and info present I got from a real M40A1 data plate that I was using for reference. (after Painting the words are much more legible)

Probably my Favorite part though is the M2C 50.cal spotting rifle,

The rifle is a model in itself, and was one that I enjoyed designing. It's one solid piece with all detailing present

This includes the magazine, and the Gas system

Like I mentioned above this model will get some minor tweaks to make it easier to put together. Even though with nothing more then a dremel and a needle file I was able to assemble the model here in about 10 minutes time with a bottle of CA.

Currently the model is being painted. Once done I will post some pics and will have an update on the production units. I was planning to list the model to the catalog as a unassembled kit, but possibly as a pre built model aswell. In addition to the above I will also be tooling up the ammo / shells for the model as well so you can have your M40 protecting your firebase from PT76 attacks, *cough *cough Dave *cough *cough

More pics posted on the ECA facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/EastCoastArmory/

more to come!

Last edited by armourguy; 06-03-2018 at 03:42 AM.
armourguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #7
panzerwerk
Division Commander

Great looking stuff John !
Old 06-03-2018, 07:55 AM   #8
armorpax
Battalion Commander

Brilliant!

armorpax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Wow, those are amazing!!! The best 3D printing I've seen to date!!! The surfaces look pristine and the details so crisp, did you do any clean up to the surfaces?

All 3D printed pieces I've delt with so far had a weird surface that had to be cleaned up, I've also seen that same surface texture in other 3D prints posted online in areas that should have had smooth surfaces and just figured that was a part of 3D printing you had to deal with?
Old 06-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
armourguy
Company Commander

Thanks guys,

Pangaea, There are almost no prepwork made to the parts. The only place where I needed to address some print lines was on the top sections of the rear tripod legs. The lines were very mild and were removed with Some light sanding with a palm sander.

3d printing texturing was one of the factors why I avoided printing for as long as I have, however with the advances that have been made in the industry I believe they are now at a quality that is acceptable. The printing service that I used for these parts have these type of machines as opposed to the home brew systems or the types used by other printing services

The model has now been completed.

Once painted the details on the data plate are more visible,

The optic work was also completed. Here you can see the paintwork, and the rubber eye cup, Like I mentioned earlier because of the material of the optic no paint is used on the lenses

Also painted the M2C's detailing comes forward.

The firing cables were added aswell. The M40 and the M2C fired from the same trigger, and you would select which one to use via a lever. When selected the trigger would actuate the sear on either weapon via a cable and linkage system.

The Crank wheels were also now mounted since the unpainted pics. The Center knob on the larger elevation wheel was the trigger for both the M2C and the 106mm.

The one on this model is not printed but is resin. The reason for this was during construction I accidentally broke the knob and the T handle. They fell to the floor and were teleported to the land of lost-partia . Two new units were fabricated and used in place. Because of this the ones one the production unit were improved. and also revised.

Since this model was built I made the adjustments to the 3D model from the experience I had with putting this one together, and I will be ordering a sample unit from the printer.

Once in hand I will be able to create the assembly instructions and see if there are any issues with the parts. Once I have the parts and everything looks good, the kit will be released!

More photos were added to the ECA Facebook page,
https://www.facebook.com/EastCoastAr...54277144732996

More to come!
Old 06-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #11
Panzercommander HOH
Battalion Commander

Very cool updates, John!

Well done!

Fred

The SSCC on Facebook
Panzercommander HOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #12
Pangaea95
Site Admin

That's a beautiful piece of work John, very cool!!!
Old 06-11-2018, 01:03 AM   #13
Hammer's Africaners
First Sergeant

That 106 and the jeep parts look fantastic.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:57 AM   #14
armourguy
Company Commander

Thanks guys, the experience I got from making these parts really has helped me run with this new medium. Below are some more new parts that I have developed. Some of these new parts have phased out the older legacy parts that were already on the catalog.

Starting with Tiger I, I tooled up a new set of main fuel tank covers / air intake ducts. These 3D printed parts have replaced the sheet metal ones that have been on the ECA Catalog for a number of years, and the metal ones are now OOP. These new parts are found on the following link, http://eastcoastarmory.com/tiger.htm

These units are comprised of a single print and no construction needs to be done to them, they are ready to go out of the box. They are also right and Left hand specific like the real units and my older pattern metal ones.

Once painted they give the grill area a nice pop

As for the King tiger the hub fastener plates are now available and have since replaced the old units.
http://eastcoastarmory.com/kingtiger.htm

The sets contain several units for not just to complete one tank, but also spares to replace any if one were to get loose / fall off

I have also been working on a Armortek T3485. Since starting that project I have also added a new page to the catalog to house the new T34 upgrades http://eastcoastarmory.com/t34.htm

Starting with the model's bump stops, these are Cast metal components that use real rubber for the bump stop.

The next newly tooled up metal detail set is the T34 swing arm aligner rail set.

The T34 family track pin aligner set was another cast metal component I developed,

Some other Parts I developed for the T34 are in the 3d Print media, Starting with first Front Idler hub cap replacement set,

I also designed replacement hubs for the main road wheels... Just like with most vehicles there are several examples of hubs that were created / used. I was able to make these three variants,

T34 road wheels hub set style 1,

T34 road wheels hub set style 2,

T34 road wheels hub set style 3,

I've also designed a drive sprocket detail face upgrade for the Armortek T34 Sprocket. This set gives the stock sprocket a Late type pattern compared to the early pattern which is present on the stock armortek kit and would not be a very common sight on the T34/85. Currently I'm wrapping up this conversion on the example I'm working on, however the sets are posted on the site. If you notice these are printed in a black material... due to the location of these parts they will get more wear and tear compared to the hubs. Because of this the black material is better for when the paint scratches / chips revealing the base material, which black looks better then white.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:30 AM   #15
armourguy
Company Commander

As for Post WWII equipment, Since the last M40 recoilless rifle was completed I saw some areas to improve on the model to make it easier to build and also fixing any errors I had made on the first attempt. The production gun that is posted on the catalog has all these corrections present

For the model's M79 tripod I made a fix to the one tripod leg. With this fix the tripod can fold much better than on my first rendition, and much more like the real unit

Some other slight changes were made to the breech making it easier to open / close

Once the gun model files were completed I decided to play around and tool up the other variants of this weapon system.

First was the M27 light weight tripod,

This tripod was designed to be a lighter weight more easily carried / stowed tripod compared to the larger M79 pattern. This would be the type of tripod that would have been seen on the Mechanical Mule.

The entire gun and yolk system are unchanged and the only part that was needed was the tripod itself,

After the lightweight variant was completed I decided to stretch my legs and try something more ambitious, While working on detail references when I was designing the gun model I ran into this very cool non US variant of this system,

This unit was used by the Norwegian army, and was intended to make the system more mobile, to do this they designed their own wheel trailer / carriage for the M40

The trailer replaces the tripod all together and turns the M40 into something like an old WWII antitank gun.

What is unique about the trailer is that the tow bar can be removed, and also reversible. The purpose is for depending on what you are towing it with you can have the tow bar to the proper height.

If it's a Jeep, the eye will be lower to the ground,

if it's a truck, the eye can be configured to be higher

a folding support leg and retracting travel lock were also found on this unit and were made to be functional on the model

The model connects to a jeep via the rear tow hitch, and I also tooled up the safety chain hooks that connect to the tow hitch eyes.

When I was making the model the reference unit I was using had M151 Mutt wheel rims fitted. These were to be the rims I released with the kit,

but later after the first model was completed I found out that the real units were only ever equipped with M38 rims, So I made a second gun with the correct rims fitted,

Since the files for the M151 unit were done, I have it as an option in case anyone preferred the M151 look over the M38.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:43 AM   #16
armourguy
Company Commander

In addition to the guns themselves I also developed the ammo for them. Currently I have the HEAT rounds and the spent casings developed.

With the techniques I learned from the 75mm rounds I used the same hollow construction for the shells. When assembling the rounds you roll some printer paper into a sleeve and slide it into the casing. This will give the look of the paper propellant sleeve that is used on the real rounds

Back to WWII, after getting some requests I tooled up and developed some wheels for the Jeep.

The wheel sets are in the same format as the M151 units (3D printed rim, cast rubber tire and valve stem). As for the pattern these are the 1941 pattern of rims which are different from the stock Dragon ones.

They are a few options, which all have different hub faces, first was for the 37mm gun

A spare tire

A trailer set

and a full set which has a rear and front hub face

Old 10-21-2018, 12:10 AM   #17
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Wow!!! Great looking stuff John, very cool!!!