Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Near Miss

Near Miss Off Topic, Humor and Subjects not Relevant to 1:6 WWII

Old 01-04-2015, 04:30 AM   #1
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

Smithonian Channel: "Apocalypse:The Second World War"

Saw parts of three episodes of this series and they include many films that I had never seen before. Many on color and it did not look colorized.
Some of the nicest film of German tanks in France 1941 was inverted (mirror image)! Kind of odd to see mirror image PzII and PzIII !
Worth a watch...

Looked it up in Google and it mentioned that it was originally a French series aired in 2009. In the US version it is narrated by Martin Sheen.

Six episodes:

1.Aggression (1933–1939): rise of Nazism and campaign of Poland, Phoney war

2.Crushing Defeat (1939–1940): fall of Dunkirk and Campaign of France, Battle of Britain

3.Shock (1940–1941): the Desert War, Invasion of Yugoslavia, Battle of Greece and Battle of Crete, Operation Barbarossa, Battle of Smolensk and Battle of Moscow

4.World Ablaze (1941–1942): Pearl Harbor, Midway and Guadalcanal, Operation Fall Blau

5.The Great Landings/The Noose (1942–1943): first failures of the Axis, Battle of Stalingrad, El Alamein, Operation Torch, Tunisia, Kursk and Italian campaign

6.Inferno (1944–1945): liberation of France, invasion of Germany, surrender of Germany, atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and surrender of Japan

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
T.H.A.W.
Tanker

Re: Smithonian Channel: "Apocalypse:The Second World War"

I have DVR'd the entire series last year, and viewed them over & over again.
This is an outstanding TV series, however, with all the "blood and guts" we see in Hollywood on a daily basis, fantastic explosions, and special FX, NOTHING can compare to the dark horror, and the gut-wrenching details of this footage. I think everyone has become complacent to the true realities of this war, and how brutal & barbaric it really was, and in most cases don't know much of the truth behind a lot of its details.
I don't know if its just me, or the era it was filmed in, but after I watch each episode, I am left an empty, hollow man, filled with nothing but sadness, and "darkness"....
This is "Must See TV" for ANY history buff!...just be prepared to wake in the night with bouts of sweats & a strange overwhelming depression.
Very dark and depressing, but, very good show...
100% thumbs up!

Ohh...and the "Apoc. WWI" series is even more emotional & intence...another must see as well.

Last edited by T.H.A.W.; 01-04-2015 at 05:46 PM.
T.H.A.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
warhorse
Tanker

the ww1 series is amazing!..think this year i might dive deeper into it
.... I went to military school, in Berlin Germany.( dad was in the army and in charge of checkpoint charlie. in the 70's) as a student,we watched hours and hours of american military footage from the liberation of prison camps and as a child it definitely changed you..and to this day I still am shocked by the beastly nature of the german soldier in ww2 as well as the german people as a whole( of that era)
warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

I went to Amazon that there are various similar versions. One is Region 1 and inexpensive, but one comment said it was not tge version being shown in the Smithonian Channel now.
The cover shows a GI from the back, from the waist up.
THAW, is tgat tge version you have?
TIA.

There is another Time Life version that is out of the question expensive.

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:32 AM   #5
T.H.A.W.
Tanker

I wish I could be of more help E, but I have no idea what the package looks like, as I DVRd them from the TV channel.
I will continue some research, to see if I can locate a place to buy the DVDs...