Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 03-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
nielsvv
Rifleman

Send a message via MSN to nielsvv
Some newbie questions...

Hello,

I'am Niels from Belgium and I am also a WWII 'collector'.
I collect tanks (1/35 & 1/72), and since a month ago also action figures.

I have ludwig bochmann from DRM, and I have ordered also the Imo Jiwa 6 figures set. From DiD have I ordered Erwin Rommel, jozef Wunche and Manfred Boelcke.

My first question is: how is the best way to put these 'medailles' on their jackets?

I drilled a hole in the jacket to put these pins in. But it isn't very stable/good.

My other question is: What is the difference between CH and DRM? I now that CH is more expensive, but why?

How do you store your models? I put all my figures in several glass cupboards. Some pics would be nice .

Sorry for my bad English, I'll hope you all understands me.

Thanks in advance

Niels
nielsvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Kev Longino

Hi Niels , and welcome to the Sixth Army Group!
If you leave the pin on the medals and pierce them through the uniform, the idea is that you apply a heat source on the inside and melt the pin flat, making it permanently attached. Since I don't like either doing that or making holes in the uniforms in case I recycle them to another use later, I cut off the pins and attach them with fabric glue. Hope this helps.

There are several threads here where guys have posted pics of some awesome collections in war rooms/hobby rooms and the search function on the forum works very well - if you can't find them , let us know.

.......if you can answer the question as to why Cyber Hobby items are so expensive , please be sure and let the rest of us know
Let us do, or die!"
Kev Longino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
exether_mega
Mortarman

Welcome aboard Niels ! And hello from the french part of Belgium

phil
exether_mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
vrieskip
Sniper

Hello Niels, by seeing your name i think it is appropriate to say Welkom Niels, groeten uit nederland :P and go see the ikea and buy a glass closet (vitrinekast) what is the english word for a glass closet, cabinet ? and if you want some european adresses for buying figures let me know

Or the bullet bites you...

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
him on his way to world domination.
vrieskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
Wehrmachtoberst
Rifleman

Welcome aboard nielsvv. Having been a newbie, and haven't we all been there, I can understand the questions you are asking. Heck I even still ask questions to this day.

I use fabric tac to apply my medals on the unis. That way you keep the uni free from holes and the medals can be taken off at a later date.

As for displaying/storing them, I put them on a shelf with a doll stand. Yeah it will collect dust and every once in a while I will take them down and give them a good "cleaning". I use a lint brush on the unis (but very carefully) and just wipe off the dust from the boots and other gear.

As for Cyber Hobby being so expensive. My best guess is because they offer figures that are very limited in the production run. That way they keep raking in the $$. They use (as far as I know) the same techniques as being used for their full production figs. Maybe they are just greedy, knowing that we will buy them no matter what. That is just my best guess.

Again welcome aboard. Listen to some of the guys on here as they are wizards at what they do...
Old 03-31-2008, 01:45 AM   #6
General Specific
Battalion Commander

Location: 5 Hours from the Center of the Universe. Ottawa, Canada

Welcome to SAG Neils.

As mentioned there are some great threads on here about how others have displayed thier figs... Here is one that started quite a while back.

Hobby Room Thread

As for the medals, I cut off the pins and use either FabriTac or Shoe Goo to attach them to my uniforms. I find this method works the best. Of course if you get DID medals, you can just pin them on, ala the real thing (Although the real medals usually used loops to sewn into the tunic)
General Specific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
Loke666
Battalion Commander

Hi Niels - welcome!

Like others I cut the pins from the medals and use glue to apply them - that way I get them to sit flat and tight on the uniform.

Most of my collection is stored in drawers - and I take them out once in a while to play with them - make phototshoots and so on.
Some of them are displayed in an - Ikea glasscupboard.

Its really up to you - but try to have them away from direct sunlight as the uniforms fade if they stand in the sun every day.

Henrik
Old 03-31-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
der soldat
Sniper

welcome!!

All the ways to apply the medals have been said, but for display (until I get some cabinets) I have custom oak shelving. All the figures go on the top shelf, small scale models go on the lower shelves. I then take the figures down once a week or sone to dust them off.
der soldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 PM   #9
Johnny Canuck
Battalion Commander

Hello Niels

Welcome.

Your question about storage is interesting. I guess here in Ottawa we're a bit over the edge. Funny thing is Pvt Snafu is the only one that really displays all his figures/stuff and he has quite a bit! The rest of us seem to keep things in boxes. Bull finally picked up his Bren, it was in a box; so his kids won't see it and wanna play too. G/S is becoming legendary for his line "well it's in that pile of boxes over there, but I don't know precisely where? My stuff is all pretty much in boxes. I'm up to five sections of 3rd CID, Cdn tankers, Officers, civilians, the Poles, the Goof Troop etc each box holds a section, 10 men. The boxes are stored covered to keep out the dust.
Now the reason for all this stuff being in boxes is we dio alot and in different places and try to be regulars at the local shows. Moving all this stuff around is much easier in boxes, whether it's in the backyard, @ G/S's or a show, off we go with our boxes.
The stuff I'm currently working on is in the livingroom, the 15 Poles I'm working on currently are on top of the credenza, the Universal Carrier MMG is on the dinning room table and the U/C with the 2" mortar is on the drafting board.
My tools are in......... boxes.
The current projects I'm working on are in ............boxes.
Old sidelined projects are in ............boxes.
All my parts are downstairs in .............boxes.
I have a box of labels, I've started labeling the boxes.

In Canada beer comes in a box, do I see a pattern here?

So it all depends on what you do with you collection.

Here in Ottawa we "PlayScale" it, big time! And keep things in ................................................................ boxes.

JC

PS Here are a couple of European shops I'm aware of.

Toys Bunker Spain
http://thetoysbunker.net/b2c/index.p...&md=1&codf=110

Maquitoys Spain
http://www.maquitoyshop.com/tienda/

One Sixth Unique Great Britain
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/onesixthunique

One Sixth Hobby France
http://www.onesixthhobby.com/login.p...d39f8fab18e993

Modellers Loft Great Britain
No address for them. Sorry

Basil: "Oh, German! I'm sorry, I thought there was something wrong with you."
Johnny Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:18 AM   #10
desert_rat
Rifleman

Hi neilsvv,

Welcome! Your English is waaay better than my Flemish so no need to apologize. What part of Belgium do you live in? I cycled through parts of Belgium years ago.

I hate to seem like a caricature of a National stereotype, but like my Confreres in the Ottawa Valley, I also keep my stuff in a box...

and a box...

and a box...

and various other small boxes like this...

As you can see, I'm more of a GI Joe collector... When I finally get my 'JoeRoom together, I plan on putting the troops behind glass doors, using custom figure stands made from DT stainless steel bicycle spokes.

Use the glue...

Desert_Rat
desert_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:50 AM   #11
ActionMan
Battalion Commander

Hi - welcome!

Modeller's Loft in the UK: http://www.modellersloft.co.uk

I use some of the shelves in my IKEA bookcases, but they do some really good glass display cabinets called BIBY and DETOLF which I know a lot of guys use.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
nielsvv
Rifleman

Thanks for all the good answers

But I've another question: How do you put these things on their jackets? (In green).

All your figures are stored in boxes because you take them with you to take some pictures of your figures in a real action bash?

I just want to collect them, and make them as real as possible. I'm expecting several new models. When I've got them, Will I take some pictures of them.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:21 AM   #13
Johnny Canuck
Battalion Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsvv";p=&quot View Post
All your figures are stored in boxes because you take them with you to take some pictures of your figures in a real action bash?
Yes.

My backyard

My backyard in the winter

Generel Specific's place.

Operation Veritable

Wesel

2007 Halloween

Playscaling in the dark

We'll try anything once flamethrowing Universal carrier.

JC

Basil: "Oh, German! I'm sorry, I thought there was something wrong with you."
Johnny Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
nielsvv
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsvv";p=&quot View Post
Thanks for all the good answers

But I've another question: How do you put these things on their jackets? (In green).

I just want to collect them, and make them as real as possible. I'm expecting several new models. When I've got them, Will I take some pictures of them.
Can someone please answer my question?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
johkaz
Battalion Commander

Hi,

I am hoping something on this page may help you.

http://johkaz.byethost10.com/insignia.html

For the cap and collar insignia, you might try placing them onto some double sided tape.
Cutting around the badge, peel off the backing and stick them in place.

Gary
Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #16
Kev Longino

I would again suggest using fabric glue, in a thin film. Double sided tape will work but won't last ( DML uses pretty much the same thing and it always tends to fail after a while)
Let us do, or die!"
Kev Longino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:02 PM   #17
Cover Fire!
Machine Gunner

Hello from the British EXpats in Brussels !!!
Old 04-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #18
caribmar05
Rifleman

A few months ago they were selling plastic see through pencil boxes at "Office Max"( it might have been "Staples"). Either way, the pencil boxes measured alittle over 12 inches and almost 4 inches across. These were geat to store individualy clothed figures & equipment.
caribmar05 is offline   Reply With Quote