Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 06-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
carentan88
Sniper

Any ideas as to how to weight down a knife scabbard?

A few weeks ago, 1stlooey posted a topic "Figure upgrades on the cheap" and there was one item in particular that was a real eye opener to me, although to many of you I am sure it was old hat. That was using lead shot in small bags to give weight to items (like the German bread bags) so they'll hang better on the figure. Boy this little tip sure has made a difference for me! (Thanks again 1st Looey) Before, I would use cloth or even worse styrofoam to give an empty pouch or bag some body but they still did not hang right sometimes. Well, I don't have that problem any more. My question is, does anyone have any ideas as to how to weight down a knife scabbard? As far as my thinking takes me right now, I'd break off the blade (leaving just enough to stick into the scabbard) and fill the rest of the scabbard with some type of material to give it weight. I have no idea what type of material I would use that would be small enough and have enough density to get into the scabbard and hold it down. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help and suggestions.
carentan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
pzrwest
Brigade Commander

Send a message via MSN to pzrwest Send a message via Yahoo to pzrwest
I don't think you could get enough lead into a scabbard or sheath to give it the weight to hang right. One thing you might try is to glue either a thin brass wire or strip of tin to the backside of the scabbard and then you could bend the scabbard to hold it's shape and hang right
Old 06-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Wehrmachtoberst
Rifleman

What about sand? If you cut off the blade and then fill it up with sane then that *might* work. I am not sure though. Might be worth looking into....OR if ou could find it dense enough, cement. Of anykind. That woudl add the weight you need. Just gotta get it fine enough to fit into the hole..
Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
B Hellqvist
Company Commander

Depleted uranium. Everything else is too light.
B Hellqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
arbomambo
Company Commander

I've used lead fishing weights...various sizes to 'fill out' my Paratrooper pockets...many are football shaped and just about the size of a 1/6 frag grenade...
Bruce
Old 06-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Bullottawa
Sniper

You could try a mould of the bayonet blade and fill it with solder. Pretty heavy due to the lead content and could actually be removable.
Bullottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
Sourdoh
Battalion Commander

The weight to volume ratio of almost anything, including lead, is much too small to give any significant weight to a bayoney scabbard or knife sheath. The real thing will hang funny too because of its light weight. Forget it. I have overcome the baynoet sticking out at a weird angle by sticking under the straps of the entrenching tool cover (if any). This holds it nicely. Or hang a canteen over it.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #8
B.C.Ries
Mortarman

If you want to change the way a bayonet hangs you can also make the frog thinner, You could not put enough weight into a DML plactic bayonet frog to make it hang right. If a bayonet frog was made out of really thin leather it would hang properly without much additional weight. If you have a cloth bayonet frog wash it with alot of fabric softener put it into some sort of mesh bag so you don't lose it and run it through the dryer.
The fabric will become soft and change the way the bayonet hangs.
B.C.Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Brave Rifles
Private Citizen

Send a message via AIM to Brave Rifles Send a message via Yahoo to Brave Rifles
Or, glue it into the position you want it. Unless you are of the category who reuses or frequently changes out the parts?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
Dougmo
Battalion Commander

This works for me: try BB's for weight. They're cheap, and I glue them together with contact cement. They can be re-broken apart if need be. Also, pick up some double-sided hem tape to help that bayonet hang right. I cut a thin strip for the back of the bayonet and another for the cloth it will press against. You can put some on the thigh of your figure to keep the fabric against the leg as necessary. The hem tape is good for simulating the "hang" of straps, and really anything that lays agains the uniform.
Half the fun for me is figuring out how to solve a problem like yours. I hope that this helps!
Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

Send a message via AIM to johnro6659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Rifles";p=&quot View Post
Or, glue it into the position you want it. Unless you are of the category who reuses or frequently changes out the parts?
I agree the best way is to glue it, it's way too small to weigh down even with lead in the scabbard you'll have to give it the illusion of weight. I would dab a little Fabritac or some glue is removable on the backside and hold it in position until it dries.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
johkaz
Battalion Commander

Hi,

I agree with Dougmo, as i use some double sided tape to hold items like this or pockets and collars in place.

Gary
Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #13
ActionMan
Battalion Commander

Something else worth mentioning is a weighted 'thread' used in the hems of curtains ('drapes') to make them hang properly. I believe it comes in different weights, so check out curtain shops. As it's designed to go in hems, it could be used in the bottom of uniform jackets etc.

We've just binned some net curtains so I scavenged about 20 yards of this stuff.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:41 PM   #14
carentan88
Sniper

Well, I wanted to take a moment to thank every one who responded for their suggestions and opinions. I had a few of the M8 knives and scabbards for the Americans to try some efforts out on. I definitely had a weight/density issue give the size of the object - not enough material to weigh it down significantly. I experimented with some tin from soda cans - that kind of worked, and might work even better if I had the dexterity to not only make a thin strip to run down the back, but also to fashion a tip or cover to the bottom of the scabbard. In the end, the two that worked best were (of course) the easiest: Either have them held in place by a heavier piece of gear (like a canteen or shoulder bag) or glue them down. Since I sometimes get into a mood about taking a figure and stripping it down and changing it, I tried rubber cement (so-so results), and fabric glue (the same). Maybe I could try some water soluble glue like Elmer's but for now I have the problem fixed to my satisfaction. Thanks again, every one. Maybe when I have more funds to experiment using different materials I will return to this. If I do come up with another way, I will be happy to share it. I had fun puttering around with this.
carentan88 is offline   Reply With Quote