Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 11-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
KWMIM
Rifleman

German field grey dye recipe?

Hello all,

Does anyone still have the fabric dye recipe for German field grey? Once again, I've misplaced my notes and I need to dye fabric asap.

I remember the colors being Dark Green, Pearl Grey and Tangerine. What I don't remember is the mix ratios.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith
KWMIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
fusilier1944
Company Commander

Re: German field grey dye recipe?

You should ask that KWMIM guy, lol. Heís my go to on this recipe.

I was searching for this a couple months back and found it over on the Sixth Division. Took a screen shot to save it (and Iím lazy). My problem was finding the dyes. I couldnít. Unless I wanted to pay $5 for a $2 box of dye. So I still havenít dyed the fabric I wanted.
fusilier1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:03 AM   #3
KWMIM
Rifleman

Oh man, you've got me cracking up here. Thanks a lot for your help. I'm glad you saved it.
And yes, the dye is kind of pricey. I've been buying it as I see it, but it has become rather hard to find during these Covid times. Not sure why.

Thanks again,

Keith
Old 01-14-2021, 02:45 AM   #4
fusilier1944
Company Commander

So how did your dying go?

I finally found the dark green & Pearl gray dyes locally. Regular prices and I was able to use a coupon. I canít for the life of me find the tangerine. I hate to spend $6.44 (cheapest I can find it is eBay) for a $2.50 box to get a couple table spoons. Ugh.

Any opinions on substituting the sunshine orange? That I can find.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:05 AM   #5
KWMIM
Rifleman

Hi,

The dying process is kicking my a**. Maybe it's because I switched from powder to liquid. I've found from past experiences, the liquid dye blends better.

I did a mix (powder) about two years ago and it worked out great. At that time, once getting the right batch, I only dyed some of my fabric, but not all. My plan was to come back to it. Months went by and I realized I never removed it from the pot I mixed it in and it was sitting in the basement with with the lid on it. After inspecting it, I discovered that the pot started to corrode. Needless to say, the dye was ruined. Oh the pain!!! Still kicking myself for that one.

This time, once I get it right, I'm dying all of it. Then storing the mix in a glass container.

Not sure about a substitute for the Tangerine. Have you tried Michaels?

Last edited by KWMIM; 01-15-2021 at 04:09 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:07 AM   #6
KWMIM
Rifleman

Hi,

The dying process is kicking my a**. Maybe it's because I switched from powder to liquid. I've found from past experiences, the liquid dye blends better.

I did a mix (powder) about two years ago and it worked out great. At that time, once getting the right batch, I only dyed some of my fabric, but not all. My plan was to come back to it. Months went by and I realized I never removed it from the pot I mixed it in and it was sitting in the basement with with the lid on it. After inspecting it, I discovered that the pot started to corrode. Needless to say, the dye was ruined. Oh the pain!!! Still kicking myself for that one.

This time, once I get it right, I'm dying all of it. Then storing the mix in a glass container.

Not sure about a substitute for the Tangerine. Have you tried Michaels?
Old 01-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
fusilier1944
Company Commander

Thatís not encouraging, haha. Youíve just described my big fears of the liquid dye. Thatís why Iím sticking with the powder. If I wanted liquid, I am sure I could get exactly what I want. In my search for powder I have been to Michaelís, HobbyLobby, & 2 different Joanns. Trying a third today. Even checked the grocery store that carries a few colors.

Iíve always used powder & have had my best success dying yardage and do it in the washing machine. Have to be sure to follow the directions (Iím bad at that) and remember the vinegar to set the dye.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #8
KWMIM
Rifleman

Hmmm??? I'll have to see if I have an unopened pack of Tangerine. If I do, I can send it to you.

Keith
Old 01-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #9
fusilier1944
Company Commander

If you do, I would appreciate it. Iím more than happy to pay you for it. Tried another Joann & another Michaelís today. No luck at anything remotely close in powder. I hate to have to order it online. Last I found was on eBay, in Korea & expensive.