Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 05-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
jubalula
Rifleman

1941 the beginning of Operation Barbarossa

Hy everybody

today I will show som photos I made near my house
I made this dio whit the intention of showing a place back of the front, a nice and quiet scene of a resting on some kind of ambulatory outpost near enough of the front. All the scene is located in a moment more or less close to the beginning of the operation Barbarossa, so 1941. So all the vehicles are painted in the grey color, the dark yellow would used just after the North Africa campaign, the marks as well are correct with the moment (as far as I know, if there is something wrong please tell me, I will appreciate that). All the camouflage smocks uniforms are M38/m40, and the camouflage pattern is the Platanenmuster summer and fall, the pattern used in the France occupation and early years of the Russian front. all the summer smocks, including the Zeltbanhs used in the tent ( which I always wanted to put in a dio, I just love this tent) were made by me, I printed the camo in a normal house printer, they lock just great, I just cant wet them.
the Vehicles are all made by me, just the kulbelwagen is a dragon model,
A thing that I think is important to emphasize is that I worked a lot o time planing this dio and searching to make this as more real as possible, The markings, the colors, the equipment, all I could do, and had access I've done. there are some guys with no cavalry boots, that is because I cold not by more of those, but as always, if there something wrong please tell me.

This dio scene is as dream fulfilled. vonabt is something that one day I will achieve ahahahaha
I think that is it, please enjoy the pictures
a thing, there are my photos and my pop´s pictures, hes pictures look beater than mine, just to explain the difference between than

Minhas fotos

My father's

jubalula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
jubalula
Rifleman

Re: 1941 the beginning of Operation Barbarossa

Old 05-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #3
panzeriv
Platoon Leader

Looks really great. You've got a beautiful outdoor setting, I particularly like the photos with the vehicles in the sunken road. Your sewing on the smocks is first rate as are your vehicles. Also like the weathering of the figures faces.

Thanks for posting.

Scott
Old 05-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
The_Dutchman
Platoon Leader

Excellent photoshoot! You have a good eye for positioning & posing your figures to create mini-dioramas within the overall setting. Your vehicles look great and I envy the location that you have!
The_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #5
Hammer's Africaners
First Sergeant

The set up, display figures and vehicles are all fantastic!
Old 05-20-2017, 01:55 AM   #6
Squidley
Company Commander

Wow, that's a great set of work!

Love the paint jobs on the vehicles, and the variety of unis. The sunken road is totally cool.

Thanks for posting!
Old 05-20-2017, 04:27 AM   #7
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

A true tour-d-force! Wonderful fun
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #8
SteveKrieg
Tanker

Superb work...nothing like a huge diorama, well put together and greatly enhanced by a wide assortment of figures/uniforms. Thanks for sharing, Steve
SteveKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:44 AM   #9
Panzercommander HOH
Battalion Commander

Love this!!!

I've always wanted to do a large Operation Barbarossa diorama and it's just never come together for me. One day... One day...

As someone who also likes to do dio shoots outside, I'm quite envious of the location you have. The exposed earth, the dunes/gullies, and the grass up top make for a perfect setting for Heeresgruppe Süd in Ukraine 1941 - especially with the Waffen-SS figures.

Love the poses as well - you certainly took your time setting them up and it shows!

Some things to consider, since you asked:

1. While technically available in 1941, low boots with gaiters are quite uncommon for the period you are portraying. You'd be better off giving all the enlisted men and NCOs jackboots (not cavalry boots, as cavalry boots have a taller, narrower shaft and no hobnails as hobnails would catch on the stirrups of the saddle - and outside of the cavalry are generally only worn by officers and sometimes senior NCOs).

2. At least two of the Opel Blitzes have Wehrmacht Heer (WH) license plates. You should switch them to SS plates since all the figures are SS.

3. The rabbit ear field glasses on the tripod would have been in the field green color at this stage of the war, not dunkelgelb.

4. One of your figures has a molded DML SS M-43 cap, which wouldn't have been around at this stage of the war either. The M-38 sidecap is a great choice for a soft cap - otherwise it's basically just the helmet at this stage for enlisted men and NCOs in the field.

Those points aside, I love what you've done in the numerous photos you've shared. Think of the points I've outlined as ways to improve on the next diorama. Please continue to blow us away with more dios of this nature. They're great! Keep 'em coming!

Fred

The SSCC on Facebook
Panzercommander HOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:44 AM   #10
jubalula
Rifleman

thanks a lot everybody !!!
I am always happy with your comments

Fred, thanks for the answers!!

1. I tried to buy more jackboots, but unfortunately it was not possible!!
and about the cavalry boots, its was a misunderstand, here we call jackboots cavalry boots haha sorry !

2.the trucks are originally intended to be Wehrmacht, but to do this pictures it was not easy, it was all in a hush, and I forgot to repaint the plates ! just bad organisation, but thaks for remember

3. the rabbit ear field glasses are the same history. to much to do and too little time

4. this thing about the field cap I didn't now, thanks

thanks for you answers again fred, it wass very kind of you

thanks all for the nice reply's