Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Ground Pounders

Ground Pounders Showcase of 1:6 Figure Projects

Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #1
SteveKrieg
Platoon Leader

Project 'CURRAHEE'

G'day all...has been awhile since my last post (the year's going by too quickly already) however I've made a start to the project for this year's annual model show - and without stealing any thunder from Fred's recent post on the 17th Airborne during Op 'VARSITY' - Project 'CURRAHEE' which will cover the U.S. 101st Airborne Division during its actions in Normandy June-July 1944; specifically (after re-reading Stephen Ambrose' 'Band of Brothers' followed by the necessary re-viewing of the TV series of same name) Easy Company, 2nd Bn 506th.

So after sorting thru all that I have with regards to the 'Screaming Eagles' (noting that this also gives me the chance to regurgitate parts of the collection that I had used in 2014's 'MARKET GARDEN' series of dioramas. I've enough to build a dozen vignettes...all illustrating key aspects of the Easy Coy as well as feature sidenote Divisional assets such as artillery, glider troops and, for one of the largest of the scenes (Holding the line at Carentan) the seaborne link-up with 2nd Armoured and infantry of the 29th Division utilising a Sherman and infantry figures.

One of the first things I've been meaning to do was apply a more realistic camouflage appearance to the netted helmets. Netting for the helmets was obtained from British issue and also from cut vehicle netting with hessian (jute) scrim - in varying colours - added. I was not overly impressed with DML's variant because I think they are cut too short in length, BBI's version not overly good either. A chance sighting at a local crafts shop recently solved the problem with finely-woven hemp...when first applied, this simply fell apart whilst affixing however I found that when I spray painted strips in the colours required; the paint helped keep it together. Anyway, enough for now and more posts on this theme to follow as the project moves ahead (which will entail an airborne force of 30 (pretty much a platoon's worth), several Germans and additional U.S. figures (infantry/tankers)...green on GO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 169029475.jpg (140.2 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 169029477.jpg (114.2 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 169029478.jpg (66.4 KB, 147 views)
SteveKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:15 PM   #2
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Re: Project 'CURRAHEE'

Looking forward to seeing this develop
Old 04-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
Heeresbergführer
Company Commander

Nice start Steve!

Love the 75mm Pack Howitzer. My wife's grandfather was "Dog" Battery Commander, 377th Parachute Field Artillery, 101st AB Division. He jumped at Normandy and rode in a glider at Market Garden.

Airborne!

Patrick

www.gebirgsjaeger.4mg.com

Last edited by Heeresbergführer; 04-09-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Heeresbergführer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #4
Squidley
Company Commander

This is going to be a great one to watch. You've got a strong base started! Good luck carrying it forward.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:31 AM   #5
montañes
Mortarman

Following this thread Steve, sure you will do a nice set up.

Jaime.
montañes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
The_Dutchman
Platoon Leader

Wow, a sign of life from Heeresbergführer!

Good to see you posting again. Still busy with re-enacting? Are you still involved with the 1/6 hobby?
The_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
SteveKrieg
Platoon Leader

Thanks very much all...

Patrick, as for the 75mm Pack Howitzer, it's one of two that I had used for the 2014 'MARKET GARDEN' series (something I was keen to do due to a distant relative who fought there and if you look back through the forums you should still be able to find it and the many pictures taken of both lead-up build and diorama showing). I had used them (and an ammunition caisson) as key to a scene depicting British paras of the 1st Airlanding Light Regiment (Royal Artillery). Funny you should mention your heritage link to the 377th as I'll be using one of the 75's (this time with U.S. paras) to enhance the information panel pertaining to the Battalion - of which only one gun was able to put into action during the night battles fought; the five others that had been dropped that night were found incomplete (given they came down in bundles) or damaged on landing. The other two field artillery battalions of the Division came in the next day by sea rather than by air...the research continues.

Attached is a pic of a repro E Coy 506th M1C helmet alongside one of the 1/6th refits (a good scale comparison), I will be having a table nearby with repro items of the 101st (badges/patches, a cricket and such on a piece of parachute) to enhance the scenes as well as each diorama having a small information panel, a larger information board (the standard extra I provide at the model show) will provide more detail on the Division (and its sister formation - the 82nd) during the hectic hours leading up to the seaborne assault. I've an actual MC1 parachute and T10 reserve which I might also put in for people to feel the weight (I'll have to find someway of securing the handle of the reserve and the deployment line of the main chute otherwise there might be hell to pay if accidently pulled and whilst I know how to jump in them I've no idea how to pack. Anyway...on with the show. Cheers again, Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 169044355.jpg (146.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 04-13-2019, 12:36 AM   #8
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Nice job on the helmet, the scrim looks 1:1
Old 04-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
Heeresbergführer
Company Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dutchman View Post
Wow, a sign of life from Heeresbergführer!
Good to see you posting again. Still busy with re-enacting? Are you still involved with the 1/6 hobby?

Yeah, still hanging around. Hobby time for re-enacting, collecting, and 1/6th stuff has been limited due to family and work. Plus I'm trying to complete my first book....."Gebirgsjäger in Portrait: Studio and Field Photography of German Mountain Troops in World War II."

Steve....yeah, my wife's grandfather said that they never found their howitzers. Most of his stick was still over water when they got the green light. He was lucky and landed on the beach, but was captured by the Germans. He was taken to the German CP in a farm house and locked up. He said that a firefight broke out nearby and the Germans left the building. He hadn't been searched very well, because he still had his jackknife and a couple of grenades. He picked the door lock and made his escape from the farm house...continuing to fight until the end of the war.

Patrick

www.gebirgsjaeger.4mg.com
Heeresbergführer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
Panzercommander HOH
Battalion Commander

This will be cool, Steve - I'll be watching this thread as your project develops!

Looking forward to see it progress as well!

Fred

P.S. Patrick - great to see you back and awesome story about your wife's grandfather!

The SSCC on Facebook
Panzercommander HOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:16 PM   #11
muzzer
Mortarman

Looking forward to seeing this , can i add if you don't mind if you want real accuracy I'd lose the tie on first aid pack from the helmet net, although it looks cool it wasn't really seen until market garden with the 101st .
muzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:08 AM   #12
SteveKrieg
Platoon Leader

Thanks Muzzer for the historical note, whilst I always try and work off either period pics/worded text to aid in realism I always appreciate the added expertise of those on the SAG noting that my book collection on all things 101st has doubled over the past months or so as I fine-tune the details (one additional detail that I've also belatedly picked-up is that I've collected several belts of linked .30cal for use in one of the scenes but only to learn that disintegrating link did not appear in the ETO 'til Operation 'DRAGOON' a month or so later - all .30Cal belts were of the white canvas type during the D-Day period) .

Now that I think of it, it would explain why I can't find any pics of the F/A dressing affixed to helmets amongst the period pics that'll be used on the accompanying information panels.

As a quick update (and no supporting pics at the moment in order to not spoil the surprise) but I'm working on four of the twelve dioramas at the moment pertaining to the 'Filthy 13' titled 'Warpaint' (which will incorporate the famous pic of PTE Ware applying 'warpaint' to PTE Plauda's face and the 'Jake' McNiece figure re-checking his explosives). Another of a two-figure Bazooka team (just had to use the Matt Damon 'PTE Ryan' figure on that one), 'Souvenir Hunters' will have a paratrooper showing off a captured Nazi flag to an officer reloading his Thompson SMG mags who is sitting in a .30Cal LMG mount jeep w/trailer. The trailer will have two opened boxes of K-rats with Paras sorting through them and a couple of Pathfinders.....dang...just ruined the surprise.

Cheers again all for the great comments - with around 31 'Screaming Eagles' now all sorted, it's just a matter of putting them all to scene.

Steve
Old 05-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #13
muzzer
Mortarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveKrieg View Post
Thanks Muzzer for the historical note, whilst I always try and work off either period pics/worded text to aid in realism I always appreciate the added expertise of those on the SAG noting that my book collection on all things 101st has doubled over the past months or so as I fine-tune the details (one additional detail that I've also belatedly picked-up is that I've collected several belts of linked .30cal for use in one of the scenes but only to learn that disintegrating link did not appear in the ETO 'til Operation 'DRAGOON' a month or so later - all .30Cal belts were of the white canvas type during the D-Day period) .

Now that I think of it, it would explain why I can't find any pics of the F/A dressing affixed to helmets amongst the period pics that'll be used on the accompanying information panels.

As a quick update (and no supporting pics at the moment in order to not spoil the surprise) but I'm working on four of the twelve dioramas at the moment pertaining to the 'Filthy 13' titled 'Warpaint' (which will incorporate the famous pic of PTE Ware applying 'warpaint' to PTE Plauda's face and the 'Jake' McNiece figure re-checking his explosives). Another of a two-figure Bazooka team (just had to use the Matt Damon 'PTE Ryan' figure on that one), 'Souvenir Hunters' will have a paratrooper showing off a captured Nazi flag to an officer reloading his Thompson SMG mags who is sitting in a .30Cal LMG mount jeep w/trailer. The trailer will have two opened boxes of K-rats with Paras sorting through them and a couple of Pathfinders.....dang...just ruined the surprise.

Cheers again all for the great comments - with around 31 'Screaming Eagles' now all sorted, it's just a matter of putting them all to scene.

Steve
I'm so looking forward to this thread , Fred and yourself have reignited my passion for 1/6th airborne troopers , cheers
muzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #14
Panzercommander HOH
Battalion Commander

Glad to have helped, muzzer!

Steve, again, looking forward to seeing how this progresses!

Fred

The SSCC on Facebook
Panzercommander HOH is offline   Reply With Quote