Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 10-04-2018, 09:43 PM   #1
superado
Rifleman

Robin Williams 1/6 Tiger I sells for $875!

I am kicking myself for failing to sign-up prior to the 24-hour pre-auction registration requirement set by Sotheby's. Robin Williams' 1/6 Tiger I sold for only $875, which is a little bit less than the cost of Field of Armor's unassembled kit (and THAT kit is well worth the price!) As a big fan of Robin Williams, just owning something of his would have been worth the price, let alone an item from a shared hobby.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/...7/lot.270.html

Last edited by superado; 10-04-2018 at 11:23 PM.
superado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:29 AM   #2
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

Re: Robin Williams 1/6 Tiger I sells for $875!

I don't think you really missed anything. Looks to be one of those Al Franco resin and wood Tigers with a lot of typical damage.
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #3
azazel526
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by superado View Post
I am kicking myself for failing to sign-up prior to the 24-hour pre-auction registration requirement set by Sotheby's. Robin Williams' 1/6 Tiger I sold for only $875, which is a little bit less than the cost of Field of Armor's unassembled kit (and THAT kit is well worth the price!) As a big fan of Robin Williams, just owning something of his would have been worth the price, let alone an item from a shared hobby.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/...7/lot.270.html

I think you're lucky to miss it.The tiger has a lot of problems: front loading deck Angle is not correct, the lack of detail, driving wheel position is too low, below the front deck structure is not correct, material is fragile, easily damaged, and it particularly heavy, I think that is not a wise choice, if it's me, I will choose the Field of Armor, I would rather own assembly, but must avoid the obvious mistakes
azazel526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
panzerwerk
Division Commander

I think for the Robin Williams factor it was a steal ! if it is infact an Al Franco original , it had my early out of scale tracks on it , however Al seemed to be better then that back in the day , maybe not perfect but it got the over all stuff right most times .
I could be wrong .
Old 10-08-2018, 03:32 AM   #5
loic
Mortarman

what's the bulges on the front hull? Is this tank R/C? It almost looks like the early FOA R/C motors where the customer had to cut out the front lower hull. It changes the shape of the vehicle...
Old 10-12-2018, 12:34 AM   #6
superado
Rifleman

Yes, for me it would have been the novelty element of owning an item that belonged to Robin Williams. He's from the SF Bay Area where I live (though his ZIP code is more expensive!) and he was a regular at the Heroes Club store in SF. There were also other 1/6 items that were auctioned, like BBI modern figures and some of those boutique urban homeboy type figures, lol. I just think it's neat how one of my favorite celebrities actually shared my hobby. Had I managed to snag his Tiger, I would have put it under plexiglass with a plaque stating that it had belonged to him. $875 was a steal, considering that a plain, Mickey's Ears Disneyland hat with "Robin W" stitched on the back went for $1,500!
superado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:10 AM   #7
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

Getting this model would have been great as something from our hobby owned by such a celebrity. Without the celebrity factor, Al Franco's vehicles were from a time when collectors used lawnmower wheels for SdKfz 222s!!! And dealing with the man was something else...

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

I was just thinking about this Tiger. I could almost picture an episode of Pawn Stars were some guy brings the Tiger into the shop.

"Wait til you see what I have. A Tiger tank owned by Robin Williams"

Perfect for their show :P
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #9
armourguy
Company Commander

I never knew Robin was into 1/6th scale action figures. As for the Tiger it 's a Viper. These were released back in the early 2000's and were a commercial flop. They were all cast fiberglass resin and were fragile and very heavy (for most of the market) detail wise it's got a lot of accuracy issues with hull angles.

$875.00 is a steal and was actually lower then what the tank was when first released. From what I can remember these models were about $950.00 ~ $1,500.00 when new.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:41 PM   #10
BFI6603
Sniper

I guess I was one of the lucky ones who actually got their Tiger 1 tank delivered from Al Franco. I lived within 45 minutes of him and he did upgrades on the tank as his skills improved. At the time there were not many guys out there who could deliver a Tiger 1 in somewhat decent condition.....

-Pete
Old 03-16-2019, 04:59 AM   #11
bonlynottcliff
Mortarman

Back in 1987, we were at a club called Wolfgang's in San Francisco watching comedian Bobcat perform. We were sitting at a table with the members of Metallica. Bobcat mentions he has a friend in the audience that wants to say Hi. a spotlight hits the balcony, you can see someone waving. the person stumbles down the stairs because he is blinded by the spotlight. He falls onto my table and I help lift him up... it was Robin Williams. Used to see him around the City often. He is sadly missed.