Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 10-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
arbomambo
Company Commander

Splinter pattern helmet covers

Does anyone out there know of a source for splinter-pattern helmet covers? I'm doing a a bash of 2 Pnzer Lehr Grnadiers in June '44 and end every pic I've seen has most of these guys in those helmet covers...I'd like at least one of mine to be so equipped! Thanks in advance-Bruce...Oh!...P S anyone with info on shoulderboards for these grenadiers? The black and white pics don't help me...
Old 10-12-2006, 04:17 AM   #2
spanky

Try Outer perimetre. Take a look at the middle of this page:

Splinter Pattern Helmet Covers
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:42 PM   #3
mp1stshirt
Company Commander

Bruce,
Like yourself I am doing the Panzer Lehr. For some reason I find them very intriguing.
Shoulder boards.......green piping
"L" cyphers can be purchased from Patrick: breauxp@wwdb.org
As for the splinter helmet covers there are several options, several releases from Dragon have them like the most recent Soldat as some after market. The thing to remember is that they fit very tightly in real life so you will have to afix them permanently. Stretching pulling tight as you apply them to the helmet, remember they were cloth and over a very short period of time due to sun and rain they pulled down on the helmet. Mine in VN was taut in just a week or so. The best cover I have found is from the Big Lizard, while paying a bit more they are fantastic. He is listed in the Maint. Bn. forum. Some times he takes awhile but is well worth the wait.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 10-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
arbomambo
Company Commander

Bob...thanks for the info; like you I'm intrigued by them, can't imagine a collection of units in Normandy without them represented! Seems like they were EVERYWHERE on the left flank of the invasion sector...also the adoption of the Heer Panzerwrap battledress really set them apart-truly an elite organization... unfortunately I'm experiencing a reference-challenged aspect of my life post-Katrina ! " She" was no respector of carefully assembled libraries either...I have no info on Waffenfarbe worn by these grenadiers in Normandy...I understood that they had shoulder-tabs with the "L" symbol; similar to the "GD" on that particular division..and, like you've indicated, grass-green piping, like reg Panzer Grenedier units-any ideas or help with on-line reference sites for pics or info? Also...did ALL the shoulder tabs have the "L" insignia? thanks again-Bruce