Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 06-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
jackntbox
Mortarman

1/6th RC Stuart and T16 Track Build

Hi All,

I finally got my Stuart tracks online. Got a decent table in the workroom and now I'm pumping out parts like a Chinese sweatshop! I can say that because I'm Chinese and I sweat when I make the parts so it's technically accurate. Here are some pics:

I am planning on upgrading many of the Stuarts original parts with scratchbuilt pieces and parts I acquired from a friend in a trade. Most of the lower hull pieces will be made by me.

The pins of the tracks are aluminum, the connectors are polyurethane resin with a mixture of aluminum powder, and the track pieces are polyurethane rubber. This whole set is bulletproof! The configuration rolls smoothly onto the sprocket. Once the mold release is cleaned from the connectors and glued to the pins with thin CA glue then they are pretty much set. It takes a lot to tear it apart. Trust me I know! I damn near had to rip the connector apart to separate it from the pin. Tearing apart the connector wasn't easy either. This set took me years to perfect. More pictures to come!

Jack
jackntbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
FooFighter
Platoon Leader

Jack,

These look great. Well done!

Richard
Steel Dragons AFV
Old 06-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
jfunk
Company Commander

Great looking tracks!
jfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

Send a message via AIM to johnro6659
Very nice Jack Will you be offering these or are they just for your use? I don't know if I can fit them in my budget but I would like to put a better set of tracks on my R/C Stewies.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
paydan
Sniper

Very impressive work Jack. Keep it up.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
jackntbox
Mortarman

Thanks guys,

I'm busy filling in orders from the M5 Stuart yahoo group till the end of the month but I am open to orders. Here is what it costs.

I will be offering the kit with aluminum pins for $400. A slightly less expensive kit will be offered with resin pins for $250. The resin pins are just as strong only much less expensive than the aluminum. The kits include two sets of spares (8 track pieces,16 connectors,16 pins) + 2 extra tracks, 4 extra connectors, and 4 extra pins just in case. They also include wheel slit covers, solid rubber return rollers w/ball bearings, newly designed return roller shafts, and hole plugs to finish off the details.

I am currently working on the metal cleat version as well as the chevron pattern track. A working rear idler is coming soon. Let me know if anyone is interested. If I get enough orders I can order my materials in bulk! That would be nice.

Jack
Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
battlezone
Battalion Commander

Genius Jack! I can only imagine the sweat equity you've put into this product.

M.
battlezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #8
jackntbox
Mortarman

Thanks M,

Sweat equity is immeasurable. 3 years worth of trial and error. Many, many errors. So many errors. All worth it though.

Jack
Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 PM   #9
jackntbox
Mortarman

Hi Guys,

Check out the progress on the return roller shaft:

I'm going to add the bolt retaining wire tonight. Here are some pictures of the stock sprocket:

Here are some pics of after I turned it on the lathe:

Since I now have clearance Clarence I will start to sculpt a full length connector tooth. I can add 1/16th of an inch to the end making it look more authentic. Now I just have to finish my design of the rear idler master. Thanks to Bob the Fine Scale Modeler for giving me the idea to do it right. You are the wind beneath my wings.

I'll be at Weekend of Heroes in Glendale on Saturday and Sunday in the RC tank zone. I'll be the Chinese guy dressed as a 3rd Armored tanker. Feel free to stop by and say hi if anyone is going to the show. I'll have samples of the tracks to show if you do. I will also be selling my usual fare of food containers, kitchen utensils, and U.S. fuel drums. Just say you are a member of SAG and you will get sick discounts.

Also BIG BULLETIN: If you are a SAG member and place an order for tracks at the show, I will discount you the already low price of $250 to a ridiculous $200!!! That's a savings of 20%!!! You will have to make payment onsite but this will guarantee your place in the queue. I'm totally serious and of sound mind. Well, mostly sound. Try me.

Jack
Old 06-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
mutt71
Company Commander

Jack, When you get the metal cleat track links, I'd love to buy 2 sets for the HST's.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #11
jackntbox
Mortarman

Hi Mutt71,

You got it. I'll put that one on the front burner and get on it!

Jack
Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #12
jackntbox
Mortarman

Hi guys,

I decided to go all resin and I couldn't be happier. The bond is solid and making the one connector with the two pins saves me so much time and $$$. This configuration is solid and working out nicely. Rolls smoothly on the sprocket.

More to come

Jack
Old 06-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
mutt71
Company Commander

Awesome Jack! They look like the way to go! For my needs (static use) they will work just fine!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
jackntbox
Mortarman

Here's more of the kit:

Jack
Old 06-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #15
jackntbox
Mortarman

Hi Jack,

I've almost finished with your plugs. The return roller ones are giving me grief with the thin points and bubbles. Should have two sets poured out by Monday. I'm working on the steel cleat version right now.

Jack