Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 10-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
Manfred von Stein
Mortarman

Panzer II ausf F

Hi men

I would like to introduce you to a new group project that I and two other model building colleagues have been working on since the beginning of this year.

Each of us bought a Panzer II from Dragon at the beginning of this one served as a template.
Goal setting was to make the Panzer II below (fahrwek) as stable as possible and as light as possible.
The chassis of the Panzer II is completely made of metal. the upper tub was largely adopted adapted and reinforced, 5mm poly? so that the yoghurt cup is stable, and no longer warps.
I have decided on a Panzer II. To build F, that means I've had a little more work. as the others, because the F differs considerably from his process.
It was a long way to go, a group project is not always easy as we all have to learn, there were ups and downs.
Reason requirement is a high degree of compromise readiness.
Finally there are 3 versions.
a Panzer II Ausf B early. a Panzer II Ausf B late. and my Panzer II Ausf F. most of the pictures I post here are from my PanzerII ausf F

The tank is made of 2mm sheet steel.
Idler pulleys Idler wheel Drive wheel stub axles are made of aluminum. rubber tires are cast from elbalta. The Panzer II necklace is made of zinc as a template served the chain of Dragon, there is still much to do now let me first speak the pictures

Old 10-06-2019, 01:05 PM   #2
BarryC
Rifleman

Re: Panzer II ausf F

WOW!!!

That is fantastic work.

Barry
BarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Ostfront43
Mortarman

Outstanding work! I enjoy these builds. Alot can learned on "how to"/build photo shoots. Thanks for showing your PZII group build.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
Hammer's Africaners
First Sergeant

Fantastic work!
Old 10-08-2019, 01:25 AM   #5
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Very impressive build!!! I do question the turret tho, It appears you've added the additional armor plate? The Ausf F turret was different than the previous turrets as it didn't need the additional armor, it was manufactured with thicker armor plate, I've attached some pictures to better show the detail. Looking forward to seeing more updates, working on a couple of PzII's at moment myself
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PanzerII25.jpg (139.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg PanzerII26.jpg (157.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg PanzerII27.jpg (121.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg PanzerII28.jpg (115.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #6
Manfred von Stein
Mortarman

For my F update, I used conversion kit from field of Armor. it is really beautiful and detaliert. I can only recommend it to everyone.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
loic
Mortarman

Heiko,

As I look at your photos, I see that you have heavily modified the FOA Ausf.F Conversion parts. Could you help me identify what you kept as is, and what you modified

1. 'Late' Cupola - I see that you added some weld marks. Your cupola is SUPER clean. Did you make your own parts?

2. Side boxes - The conversion includes ABS 1/8" parts. I see some PE top, and you use metal cast latches rather than 6SI PE parts. You also made an extra box for the left-rear fender. Did you scratch-built this entire box?

3. Extra armor on turret. I respectfully disagree with some comments saying that the extra armor was not fitted on Ausf.F. I've seen many pictures of vehicles in museum showing this extra armor. Did you heat/bend the ABS provided in the conversion, or did you make your own?

I'm looking forward to your RC conversion of the lower hull. Are you going to use FOA TTMS Lite for it, or your own?

I'm amazed at your skills as always

Cheers from Utah
Old 10-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #8
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Loic I would love to see pictures of a Panzer II Ausf F turret with the additional re-enforced armor added. I have seen pictures of every Panzer II left in Museums, and I will admit, the French PzII is a mutt of an Ausf c with the turret of an Ausf C so I won't say it doesn't exist, but the difference between the earlier Panzer II's and the Ausf F version was a totally new design turret made with thicker armor to eliminate the bolt on armor, the whole tank was designed with thicker armor to eliminate the bolt on armor. Here is a picture showing the early Panzer II's and the additional armor, and the new Ausf F manufactured with thicker armor

"You also made an extra box for the left-rear fender." The Ausf F also came with the two boxes standard, if not mistaken, the SSI kit came with one and the DML kit comes with one to give you the two boxes you need. Have a slew of books and material on PzII, any pictures or questions feel free to drop a line, more than happy to share intel

Herr Stein, the only thing that really stands out on your turrets is the way the lift hooks are sitting on the additional armor, if you look at the pictures of an Ausf F, they sit behind the mantlet on the turrets surface ala the pictures I previously shared

Last edited by Pangaea95; Yesterday at 01:57 PM.
Pangaea95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:04 AM   #9
loic
Mortarman

I actually agree. I looked again at Mike Standard build, and the two additional armor reinforcements are not there. Now that you mentioned that the Pz.IIF in Saumur is a "Mutt", I clearly see the misunderstanding

http://www.fieldofarmortanks.com/6si...-f-conversion/

Thanks for your clarification... I was not aware of all these details! I want to build the Pz.IIF that Mike left us, and change it to RC, so I'm VERY interested by what Heiko shows!
Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM   #10
Pangaea95
Site Admin

In doing the Ausf F version of the PzII, Mike had to make a compromise in that he used the DML PzII turret and detailed it to a Ausf F turret, there are differences in the angles and the mantlet....So basically you use the Ausf B turret but add the new frontal shutters to the mantlet and upgrade the cuppola, and you need to.upgrade the vision ports to the new 50mm style(which is not offered yet by anyone). DML released the proper vision ports on their Ausf C version of the PzII(which is the only real difference between the B and the C variants), would love to see these produced!!!