Rebulilding a DiD horse.
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Sixth Army Group -> Out of Theater Operations

#1: Rebulilding a DiD horse. Author: Tony BartonLocation: York PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:07 am
    —
REBUILDING A DiD HORSE :

So far there are very few decent horses available in 1/6th.
Some have been able to find the old Marx “ Thunderbolt ; a very nice toy pony , but a little small for a European troop horse.
Luis Aguilar ( Nohuanda ) has made a couple of lovely horses in resin , one of which I have for another project .
The big DML “ Blitz “ suffers ( if that’s the word ) from visible joints , and being very big. He’s also expensive and hard to find.
The more recent DiD fur-covered offerings , although widely available , have terrible heads , and I can’t live with the overscale fur. They are however a perfect size , and I eventually gave in and bought one.
The fur had to go : Once you see this poor creature you rather wonder what the Chinese designer had in mind….

Image


I started by filling the body with expanding foam.
Then I removed the head and neck and remodelled them in air-drying clay over a thick plastic sheet armature :

Image

Then it was a matter of resculpting some of the detail , mostly on the legs using epoxy putty .
Then I covered the whole body with fine-surface Polyfilla : this is a really good , strong filler which sticks very well , and has not cracked at all. The Bendies helped….


Image


Several thin coats applied with a bristle brush , always in the direction of the hair flow, rubbed down with sandpaper , to fill all the little irregularities in the plastic body : under the fur fabric it’s very crude ( being made of moulded sections of what appear to be recycled binliners ! ) , and very irregular.
This process took a long time , with multiple applications and then coats of paint to reveal what needed attention:

Image

Image

Image

The ears , which would be too delicate in the air-drying clay , were modelled in Fimo and pegged into the head.
Eventually I reached a point when it was time to stop and finish the horse :


Image

Image

Image

The mane and tail are from crepe hair from a theatrical supplier... The mane is attached to a Fimo strip that fits into a slot cut in the neck.
I had to use hair-gel to get it to lie down !

Although I intend this animal to be a Napoleonic troop horse once I’ve made the tack and rider , I couldn’t resist the temptation to put my English Civil War kit on him :


Image



This has been a lot of work , but at least I now have a presentable horse .


***************************************************************

#2:  Author: Pangaea95Location: Rhode Island PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:31 am
    —
Maybe a lot of work, but it sure paid off. Great looking Horse Tony, you've really outdone yourself Exclamation

#3:  Author: 104thboyLocation: Indiana PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:52 am
    —
Thats really a beautiful horse you have there.

#4:  Author: Kate B.Location: North Carolina PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:17 am
    —
Damn, that is so cool! Excellent job Mr. Barton!!!!!!

#5:  Author: HDHSVILocation: Jupiter, FL (West Palm Beach) PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:35 am
    —
Tony,

A superb salvage job!! Your sculpting talents are just top notch!!

Cya,
Hankster

#6:  Author: k rationLocation: in a cardboard box. in back of walmart. PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:06 am
    —
that is a very nicely done rebuild. Exclamation Exclamation

#7:  Author: dudulle.69Location: France, Normandy PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:49 am
    —
I very much appreciate your work


But I love the fact that we share your technique with great humor and modesty.

Tony Barton is great man

#8:  Author: tvone PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:57 pm
    —
The head says it all, the transformation from a "hamsters" head, to a true looking horse head. I never picked one of these up because the head never looked right.....but it sure does now.....

That is some beautiful work! Exclamation

TV

#9:  Author: Germanbilly1Location: High Desert ,CA PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:27 pm
    —
After seeing that I think I will have to send all of my mine to the Dog food plant. LOL Great Job. Or just give them to my Puppy and she will destroy them.
GB

#10:  Author: DougmoLocation: Commerce, Michigan PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:37 am
    —
...and now it's a horse, of course...
Sculptinga all of the muscles and the new coat had to be a ton of work - kudos to you, Tony.
A question: how long was your work time before the air-dry clay set up? Thanks-

#11:  Author: Tony BartonLocation: York PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:22 am
    —
Doug , the air drying clay was easy to work with , the biggest problem being cracking as it shrinks. I had originally intended to use it all over the horse, but when applies over the plastic body in thin layers it fell off when dry !
You have as long as you want to model it : if the surface dries , just wet the finger and rub gently , or use a brush.
The clay I used was the Faber Efaplast light : it blends togeher very well with the finger or a stiff wet brush.
But only for large coherent lumps , rather than thin layers. It takes a day or two to dry out completely.



Sixth Army Group -> Out of Theater Operations


output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 8 Hours

Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group