• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Project - 'D-Day spearhead'

G'day all and just a quick note of big thanks to all the responses I've received thus far and whilst I always enjoy the builds (some frustratingly so), this past weeks' 80th commemorations has provided me the extra 'fuel' needed to push on and push on I have, with push bikes. For those D-Day aficionados out there, I'm sure you'd agree that despite the popular narrative, the Allied landings were very much a one-sided affair in that the Wehrmacht poised to stop it had no chance of doing so given they were out-matched in every aspect - land, sea and air, though it was on land that they'd had their best chance.

And so, with the Americans largely sorted, I've taken a break from the Allied side to spend the remainder of June on the Germans. Along with my Rommel vignette, I intend to do this with three such scenes and they'll all cover to some degree the dire situation they faced along that Calvados/Contentin coast that June of '44. The largest will centre on the deadliest of the units faced - the 352nd Infantry Division, and in particular its mobile reserve - the 915th Grenadier Regiment (known as Kampfgruppe Meyer). Mobility came via two modes - French trucks (driven by French drivers because they knew the narrow road network of Normandy) and a company on bicycles (Radfahr Kompanie). During the early morning hours preceding the landings and during the day of the 6th, this mobile reserve spent more time on the road than fighting. In fact it spent so much of the day on the road reacting to constantly changing commands from its HQ that it never really got to do the job expected of it as 84th Corps reserve (which in itself shows how dire the German Army was - having what is ostensibly a divisional reserve committed to covering that of corps size).

For this I've chosen to do the bicycles largely because I've several of the fine, though somewhat fragile, DML examples in the collection that I've been keen to employ for years in some way or form. Five are now in the process of paint/detail and will make up an MG34 team. Two of the bicycles are from the 'Dieter' figure (2002 and DML's first bicycle release), one from the 'Jupp Bauer' Panzerfaust fit (2004) and the other two from the 'Hubert Schreber' which gave the choice of two accessory fit-outs - MG34 or its AA tripod (I've got two from this 2011 release so will do up one of each).

The DML bicycles are all of a similar colour but I've chosen to repaint them in a more olive green than 'panzer' grey based on some pics of surviving examples and whilst I've been keen to paint/detail a bicycle or two for years, I have also been dreading such a project but now that I'm well into it (and doing up five) it's actually somewhat therapeutic. I intend to paint one of the ammunition/grenade boxes in a dark yellow (to give the idea that the box is a retro-fit) and once all the bikes are detailed to then start a similar process and applying the stowage before, finally, getting onto the figures.

All will be pushing and not riding their bicycles (in order to save on wear and tear and to remain fit, these troops could only ride their bikes if it was part of an anti-invasion exercise or for real) and will be pushing them past a stores-laden horse-drawn wagon (a separate project which will follow-on from the bicycles). Next post on this however will be of the completed bikes and their riders. Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0002 (2).JPG
    IMG_0002 (2).JPG
    442.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    309.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0014 (3).JPG
    IMG_0014 (3).JPG
    401.6 KB · Views: 10
G'day all and thanks muchly 'MP38' for your kind comments. Just a quick update on the bicycles in that they are now done (onto the five figures that'll push them). I wanted each bike to have a certain individuality to it which the stowage definitely brings. Will send a couple of update pics with figures and bicycles hopefully over the next few days provided I can get a few more modelling hours in. Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0004 (3).JPG
    IMG_0004 (3).JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0003 (2).JPG
    IMG_0003 (2).JPG
    331 KB · Views: 4
G'day all,

Just another quick update on the bicycle scene which is only half of the scene in-fact as foreground will be a requisitioned French box cart turned ration wagon (such is the intent). With the bicycle-pushing fusiliers done, thus completing that aspect of this particular diorama, it's onto the cart itself. The wooden cart was something I found a while back in a second-hand shop and came with a ceramic horse, straight off the bat I envisaged a perfect scaled supply cart despite some rather over-sized screws which though slightly detracting shouldn't "slow" the scene too much. The original wood finish with its texturing isn't too bad but is too polished for what I'm after so I've taken the wheels off and gave it a base coat of 'Citadel Black' before hand-brushing Valejo-brand 'New wood' which I'm now dusting with 'Old wood' before I attempt a wood texture to match. I also scratch-built a pallet for the cart's flooring.

The horse harness that fitted the original ceramic horse will require some modifications in order to properly fit one from DML (the only aspect of this build that I'm not looking forward to). The ration stores however I've sufficiently got covered save for some minor detailing. These include a bucket of Calvados apples for which the Normandy region is famous, several Speinentrager and large Trinkwasser containers, barrels of Pilsener, bread and some equipment stowage for the wagon crew. For the two-man cart crew, one young smiling soldaten is playing an accordian seated at the rear of the cart (air sentry) which has garnered the attention of the cyclists whilst another figure will be tending to the horse. Of historical note, Rommel often ensured there were accordions stashed in his vehicle entourage during tours of the coastal defences as he knew the maintenance of morale was key and the accordion a classic instrument of the German army when it came to campfire singalongs. He'd hand them out to instill a sense of camraderie. Next post will be of the completed scene, 'til then enjoy, Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_0014 (4).JPG
    IMG_0014 (4).JPG
    420.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0016 (2).JPG
    IMG_0016 (2).JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0017 (4).JPG
    IMG_0017 (4).JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0022 (4).JPG
    IMG_0022 (4).JPG