Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Out of Theater Operations

Out of Theater Operations Showcase of 1:6 Projects Not Pertaining to WWII

Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 AM   #1
Panzercommander HOH
Battalion Commander

East German Soldier, East Berlin, 1961

East German Soldier, Friedrichstraße Border Crossing, East Berlin, 1961

A friend from my local club asked me for information on East German border guards for a kitbash. As I was doing some research, I was tempted to throw a kitbash together myself.

The kitbash represents an East German soldier stationed at the Friedrichstraße border crossing overseeing the wall being built and preventing any East Berliners from escaping to the west. (He has shoot-to-kill orders should anyone try.)

This was a really quick kitbash – I would do a few things differently if I was going to make him a permanent kitbash in my collection – and I’d try to make a Mosin-Nagant M-44 carbine as they seem to be much more prevalent in the NVA (Nationale Volksarmee – the East German Army). Also, I’d like to make more permanent color and insignia changes to the uniform and headgear.

Headsculpt: DML Arno Frisch (#37

Uniform: DML German M-40 tunic, German M-37 trousers

Headgear: Toys City German M-38 EM side cap with printed insignia (E.
German seal)

Insignia: paper print outs, DML German Infantry epaulettes

Equipment: DiD Heer belt, two DML Mosin-Nagant ammo pouches, DML Y straps

Boots: DML German jackboots

Weapon: DML Mosin-Nagant M-91/30 with bayonet (from Sasha)

Dog: Kaiser (renamed post-1945 to something less imperialistic) from the DML Gustav and Kaiser set

Barrier and Sign Post: Cyber Hobby Sentry Station Set, #71379

Sign/Barriers inspired by this picture in the Bundesarchiv:

Taken from Wikipedia
Panzercommander HOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
Panzercommander HOH
Battalion Commander

East German Soldier, East Berlin, 1961

East German Soldier, Friedrichstraße Border Crossing, East Berlin, 1961

A friend from my local club asked me for information on East German border guards for a kitbash. As I was doing some research, I was tempted to throw a kitbash together myself.

The kitbash represents an East German soldier stationed at the Friedrichstraße border crossing overseeing the wall being built and preventing any East Berliners from escaping to the west. (He has shoot-to-kill orders should anyone try.)

This was a really quick kitbash – I would do a few things differently if I was going to make him a permanent kitbash in my collection – and I’d try to make a Mosin-Nagant M-44 carbine as they seem to be much more prevalent in the NVA (Nationale Volksarmee – the East German Army). Also, I’d like to make more permanent color and insignia changes to the uniform and headgear.

Headsculpt: DML Arno Frisch (#37

Uniform: DML German M-40 tunic, German M-37 trousers

Headgear: Toys City German M-38 EM side cap with printed insignia (E.
German seal)

Insignia: paper print outs, DML German Infantry epaulettes

Equipment: DiD Heer belt, two DML Mosin-Nagant ammo pouches, DML Y straps

Boots: DML German jackboots

Weapon: DML Mosin-Nagant M-91/30 with bayonet (from Sasha)

Dog: Kaiser (renamed post-1945 to something less imperialistic) from the DML Gustav and Kaiser set

Barrier and Sign Post: Cyber Hobby Sentry Station Set, #71379

Sign/Barriers inspired by this picture in the Bundesarchiv:

Taken from Wikipedia
Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
Glidah Drivah
Tanker

Excellent kitbash; and nice post-dating of WWII German items. It's interesting that the Service Dress uniforms of both the NVA and Bundeswehr were similar to those of the WWII German military (at least through the 1960s.) It might be a bit small for the DML noggin, but 21st made a VOPO helmet (that ironically came with a carded set for the other NVA) that might make him a bit more menacing.
Glidah Drivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 AM   #4
Glidah Drivah
Tanker

Excellent kitbash; and nice post-dating of WWII German items. It's interesting that the Service Dress uniforms of both the NVA and Bundeswehr were similar to those of the WWII German military (at least through the 1960s.) It might be a bit small for the DML noggin, but 21st made a VOPO helmet (that ironically came with a carded set for the other NVA) that might make him a bit more menacing.
Glidah Drivah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #5
Panzercommander HOH
Battalion Commander

Agreed! I'm really fascinated by this period (and location) in Cold War history and it really helps that the East German uniforms look very similar to WWII German uniforms. Any chance you can point me in the direction of that NVA carded set? I looked it up on Green Leader's site but I didn't see the helmet in the carded set (just the pith helmet). If you happen to have an extra of those helmets - PM me or shoot me an e-mail, I'd be happy to purchase or trade for it so I can give it to my friend for her kitbash.

Do let me know, (and thanks very much for the compliments!)

Fred

jd_fred_110@yahoo.com
Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 AM   #6
Panzercommander HOH
Battalion Commander

Agreed! I'm really fascinated by this period (and location) in Cold War history and it really helps that the East German uniforms look very similar to WWII German uniforms. Any chance you can point me in the direction of that NVA carded set? I looked it up on Green Leader's site but I didn't see the helmet in the carded set (just the pith helmet). If you happen to have an extra of those helmets - PM me or shoot me an e-mail, I'd be happy to purchase or trade for it so I can give it to my friend for her kitbash.

Do let me know, (and thanks very much for the compliments!)

Fred

jd_fred_110@yahoo.com