Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 04-07-2006, 01:01 AM   #1
thetoysurgeon
Battalion Commander

Any info what so ever on the sd.Kfz 233 is welcome?

I have searched in many places (evident to my recent finds in the "Tech Manuals"),... By the way Wayne there is a great radio section in this link

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/cgi-bin....pl?docnum=353

towards the end. Helped me alot.

Anyways back on topic, I haven't found very many pics of the interior of the 233. I figure the drivers positions are the same as the 231 so thats taken care of. The gun is the same mount as in the sd kfz 251/9. Where I am stumped is where they put 32 rounds? 3 man crew with single seats for all. The gun mount has a seat support and the commander/gunner sits there. The rear driver/loader sits in the rear drivers position and the front driver has his seat. Its pretty cramped except the right rear of the compartment. Any ideas guys? The 251/9 was long enough to accomodate the rounds, but where did they put them on the 233? I have seen tubular single round like containers lining the walls? Is this actually a round container? I have seen in 1/35 custom 233 models showing flat wood ammo crates on the floor? I stand corrected on the containers on the front fenders... they are smoke canisters. How they were deployed I havent the foggyist? Any help, suggestions and pics are welcome on this challenging project? I have a four view drawing that Gary gave me, but no detail on the ammo storage. Several new books but only one real pic of the interior with a view of the breech of the gun. Everyone please cash in their .02!
Old 04-07-2006, 01:31 AM   #2
inxsone
Brigade Commander & Mod

Just curious Dennis, didn't these have the two complete Driver's positions? One facing forward and another complete position facing to the rear so as to be able to get out of trouble as quickly as they get in... I know a couple of WWII German armored vehicles were set up this way the Sd Kfz 231 8-Rad being one, just thought this might be one of them too as it was based on the 231...
Old 04-07-2006, 02:27 AM   #3
thetoysurgeon
Battalion Commander

Mike,

Yes it had the front rear drivers set up. from what I gather they didn't like to drive backwards to much because of the engine deck blocking their vision. Its kinda neat for a recon unit to drive backwards when it got tough. It shows the rear seat placed on the left rear of the compartment facing to the rear. I am going to make it a swivel seat so the loader can face forward. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:23 AM   #4
Sixty Driver
Battalion Commander

Very cool, thanks Dennis!

I searched around a bit and found the 1/35th scale version of your vehicle in the gallery section at Missing Lynx. There's mention of the conversion kit (to convert the Tamiya kit) made by a company called New Connections in Germany. Mission Models is listed as being the supplier of this conversion kit but their website is down for remodeling. In any event, lacking photo's etc of the real thing getting your hands on one of these resin conversion kits might be your next best viable option.
Sixty Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:05 AM   #5
gary1930
Company Commander

I checked all my books (Scheibert, In Detail, and Niemeckie Samochody Pancerne) on the 8-rad, and none gives a clue about interior detail of the 233. I think there is a 233 in one of the European museums. Don't you need a vacation?
I do have a cutaway drawing of the 231 which shows the steering wheels and front driver's seat. Holler if you want a scan of it.
Also, I found no indication that they scrapped the rear steering for the 233.
gary1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:09 AM   #6
inxsone
Brigade Commander & Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary1930";p=&quot View Post
Also, I found no indication that they scrapped the rear steering for the 233.
That makes sense if they were hurting for space to store ammo and such, besides the already cramped quarters for the crew... I just wondered about that aspect...
Old 04-07-2006, 04:50 AM   #7
jepy
Company Commander

Dennis, If this is the gun I'm thinking it is, the rounds are not much bigger than a coke bottle, in which case, there would be plenty of room for 32 of the little buggers.

J-P
jepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:13 AM   #8
SSPeiper
Mortarman

Dennis,
I'm sure there's some detailed photos of some of the interior of this thing. Offhand I think it may have been in one of the Tech Intel volumes but can't say for sure.
Unfortunately I haven't had access to my reference for so damn long I've near forgotten what's there, so I can't help you out myself but I'm sure some else here might be able to help you out.
Cheers
Allan
SSPeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #9
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

I would imagine the reason for the front and rear drivers position was that I doubt these had a tight turning radius, so throwing it in reverse imediately and being able to drive it in reverse just as easily as forward in tight areas would save the vehicle and lives of the soldiers.

I'm am interested in any info on the 7.5cm gun myself I am pretty sure it's the same as the one I need to build for my 250/8 Neu.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
xacto11
Company Commander

Dennis, send me your address. I am pretty sure I have some interior shots. I can't recall just how helpful they will be, but I do remember looking at the article just recently.
xacto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #11
k ration
Battalion Commander

just my 2 cents added have you tryed jagdtiger.de? thay show a 251/9,for the gun.and a 234/4 if this helps
k ration is offline   Reply With Quote