Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 10-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
fosse
Rifleman

DML Kubelwagen project

Wanted a winter project big enough to not need magnifying glasses to see what I'm working on, and discovered 1/6 scale.
Bought a DML Kubelwagen and the intention is to detail it - no fun just gluing it all together and wondering why it's finished in a week! The roof mechanism should be functional and is made out of K&S Metals brass tubing, and I've learnt how to "weld" using a jet torch lighter and solder.

So far the basic car's assembled and I've got the wooden planking done, the rearmost part of the roof mechanism is done, the back of the horn has been filled out and the correct mount fabricated and attached to the right place. The document holder has also been completed.

I'm finding this is a real juggling act, as so many details depend on other bits to be done first and it's so easy to get it wrong so many parts are being assembled on the car but not permanently attached because they'll need to come off later for priming and painting. A good example is the roof mechanism, which I can't complete until the windshield has been re-made and repositioned, while the windshield also depends on the roof mechanism for its correct placement.

Haven't given any thought to the end colour scheme. Although it's an Afrika Korps car it don't mean it's gotta stay one.
Tyres were a nightmare out of the box, and all 5 had to be CA'd to the rims under pressure as they were moulded wrongly. Really disappointed DML don't sell European tyres separately, or indeed any parts. I couldn't get an ETO Kubel here.

I've got a couple of Kar98s and MP40s to go on the end product, along with 4 very good jerrycans. I intend to use one for the storage area under the dashboard and the other 3 either on the wings/fenders or in the boot. The boot lid and engine bay lids will hinged but the hinges will be underneath and not massively visible. I'm trying to get it all to be functional but without it being obvious it's not full size. I've seen other examples where the bootlid hinges were on the outside of the body, and it just didn't look right.

The DML kit does seem to have some noticeable faults, like the horn being in the wrong place and with wrong mounts, and the spare tyre being mounted too high up too, and the obvious too-wide windshield. I am however, surprised that the DML plastic roof mechanism is remarkably accurate compared to some drawings and "technical manuals" I've come across, and it makes a good basis for checking rotation points.

Overview, showing the roof mechanism and the vehicle overall. The door pivots were replaced with brass pins, as the DML plastic items would have sheared long before the project was complete.

The document holder was made of lime sheet, the wooden planking out of walnut strip.
The panel was cut away and reattached to the underside of the bonnet/hood so the steering gear could be accessed for assembly. Steering was a pig to assemble.

The mount for the horn was made out of brass sheet. The original hole can just be seen behind the top of the brass mount, and was filled in using Metallik car body filler.

The horn, showing how it was filled out at the back with Metallik to form a nice convex shape instead of the flat - and wrong - back provided.

Detail of the roof frame. The strap holders are pieces of paperclips, bent to shape and mounted into tiny drill holes. The original holes for the DML items shown filled in.

Last edited by fosse; 10-02-2011 at 01:26 PM.
fosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Hoffner
Company Commander

Re: DML Kubelwagen project

Looking pretty good so far and welcome aboard!

Damnit....I glued my fingers together again.
Hoffner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
kendalljamie
Tanker

Welcome to the board, fosse! The kube looks good so far. Maybe I can find the time to finish mine this fall and winter.

Jamie
Old 10-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
fosse
Rifleman

cheers for the welcome guys.
Yeah hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew with the Kubel.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
orntar
Mortarman

Looking good, I love these builds. Keep up the pics.
orntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Kapernakis
Tanker

WOW off to a great start.
Can't wait to see the custom wheels you will make for it, oops wrong foose.
Kapernakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
fosse
Rifleman

oh hell no. Only thing I'll be going near those wheels with.... is paint.

But if I was foose, it'd be a kubel hotrod lol

Last edited by fosse; 10-03-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
fosse
Rifleman

Windshield fabricated from scratch, using clear 1mm plasticard sandwiched in a walnut frame made from 1.5mm x 4mm strips.

Side parts of the window frames were made from brass strip and bonded to the wooden frame using Brass Araldite.

The windshield braces may look a bit large, but couldn't make them any thinner if I wanted it to have any structural integrity, but once the glue's dried I'll re-profile the bottom parts.

Last edited by fosse; 10-07-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
fosse
Rifleman

Confirmation that Araldite does indeed work, but with the frame dried and fixed in place, I can see the windshield is now too tall and therefore doesn't rest in the right place.

Back to the drawing board, with a shortening of the windschield/windshield frame planned.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
viaad
Brigade Commander

It looks much better though! Great work!

Alfonso

Get a hobby and relax!
viaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
fosse
Rifleman

Thanks Alfonso.

Looking at that last picture above I saw the windshield was way too tall, so I'm in the process now of re-making the windshield frame from scratch, bringing its height down from 67mm down to 45mm, which looks a bit more like it.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
fosse
Rifleman

Windshield is now on and finished. Instead of using brass araldite (which stuck brilliantly to the wood, but not so well on brass) I've now used small pins CA'd through the brass uprights into the frame.
This was the 3rd attempt at the windshield - the 1st was too tall and the 2nd I used the wrong wood. Third time lucky.

As with all the working on the model, I found the tyres are still a huge problem and despite being CA'd under pressure, two of them have come away from the rims, a bit disappointing for DAK tyres. Pointless rectifying them now, but one of the last things to do before paint goes on.