• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

101st Questions

Totmacher

Rifleman
Good Evening,
I had several questions regarding what a Captain of the 101st would have worn during the Battle of the Bulge. Would a pair of paratrooper M43 pants be accurate? I also have a captain's shirt and a wool jacket. Please let me know if that sounds decent so far, or if I should make any chances. This is still a very early WIP that I've been thinking about for some time so it would definately help me out.

Thanks!

Totmacher";p="25634 said:
Good Evening,
I had several questions regarding what a Captain of the 101st would have worn during the Battle of the Bulge. Would a pair of paratrooper M43 pants be accurate? I also have a captain's shirt and a wool jacket. Please let me know if that sounds decent so far, or if I should make any chances. This is still a very early WIP that I've been thinking about for some time so it would definately help me out.

Thanks!
Try posting this question over in Mark Bando's "Airborne". Or find some books for picture referances.

Kyle

At least for me, half the fun is doing the research and coming up with your own, historically accurate, representation. There's lots of Bulge info out there, and the ultimate reference is the After the Battle Bulge book (and you can use for as a neat doorstop, too...). Let us know if you need specific references-

Thanks for the suggestions! I will browse through several places and hopefully I will come up with a decent figure or two.

Well, there is a lot of options for an Officer. Did you want him to represent that of an officer in the front lines, or an officer in the Company CP or other "rear" areas. If there were any "rear" areas for the 101st in the Bulge...

I'd definitely start with a pair of M-43 (airborne mod.) trousers, and an M-43 jacket. You can keep the shirt, but might want to lose the officer insignia on the collar, unless he's a by-the-book type... You can also give him a Mackinaw or a tankers jacket as well for added warmth. There are not a lot of options for "Officer grade" jackets readily available on the market. But with the shortages during the rush to Bastogne, an officer could have used pretty much anything. They could have worn an EM overcoat, some might have even had their Ike Jackets or 4 button tunics on. Footwear was also pretty diverse. Combat boots, paratrooper boots are all acceptable. Probably would stay away from the overshoes and shoepacs for an "early" bulge figure. Don't forget the gloves and scarf as well...

Hope that's a good start. But definitely look at books, as there are a TON of great images from the period.

-JOSH

Thanks Josh, that definately helps me out a lot. I figured this is the run-down of parts for the figure at the moment; M43 pants, EM overcoat, scarf, gloves, service shirt (possible Captain's insignia), M43 two-buckle boots, and the typical web gear. How high was the likelyhood of a Captain favoring an M1 Carbine?
I have one for him but I am not sure if it is suitable for a Captain.

Thanks again!
PS- If I have the time I may throw toghether another figure to accompany this fellow. I was thinking of using a full M43 Paratroopers uniform, again with typical early winter/late fall equipment and M43 two-buckled boots. This one will be of a lesser rank armed with an M1 Garand.
These guys were definately a courageous bunch, well worthy of a bash or two in their honor :)

Uniforms, Weapons, and Equipment of the World War II G.I. by Stephen W. Sylvia & Michael J. O'Donnel is a handy book for your reference library. It only covers Army gear. Once you find good ref pics from the battle, you can get a close up look at things in a book like this.

I find it is also useful now and then for getting a good look at something that you know the Marines used too, but can't find a good picture of it.

:lol: Hi. I have been putting a 101 st set together, including a col , major, Capt , medic & Mp. With A range of other combat ranks.

I based the Officers at first on CP types, with makinaws from the Doc P & TAB figs. I Used officer trousers & shirt / tie combo's with insignia. Armed 2 with carbine , 1 with Thompson. Used buckle and corrigan boots. Varied the map cases and musettes. The kit looks cleaner , ensuring they looked different from the front line uniforms.
I am toying with using a para jacket instead of a makinaw on 1 and putting wear / dirt on the trousers. Remember Kit / supply did vary and in Bastogne the 101st got there from Holland issued in the main with summer / Autum kit.
Shoe packs and winter gear did not reach them till later in early 45.
They complained about the lack of winter gear at the time.
Remember too, kit will vary according to, items lost , dammaged,
prefference of Officers commanding the unit. What is available at that time etc.
Clever use of scarf / gloves - try some DID wool gloves with fingers.
A light " frosted " effect or light snow dusting on a uniform and kit, would soften the look of the figure and give it some "character " Adding some realism and atmosphere to the look of the piece.
TRY ON SOME SCRAP CLOTH FIRST.
Hope this helps you out. :lol:

Back