• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

101st Uniform Question

The Ricky Foster Airborne Uniform ( pants,belt,harness, and shirt/jacket)
When would be most likely used because I've rewatched the Band of Brother (BOB) Seris and I can't tell when the Uniform was used. :@

Well Buddy, you seem to have inadvertently stumbled on one of the hottest controversies surrounding DiD's Ricky Foster.
You are correct in your assesment that you cannot recognize the uniform in Band of Brothers, because this is actually a 'hybrid' uniform, made up of an M42 jump jacket, primarily used in the D-Day jump, and a M43 set of trousers, used during operation Market-Garden and thourghout the duration of the war.

I fixed the problem by dyeing the jacket to closer match the trousers. The differences in the M42 trousers and M43 trousers of Ricky Foster will be hidden by the M42 jump jacket anyway, so its the color that is the main obstacle.

Here is my dye result.

fixingfoster.jpg

Kev Longino";p="44548 said:
Please also remember that Band of Brothers , whilst undoubtebly superb television, is NOT history!

Professor Ambrose is spinning in his grave... :wink:

Well although his book is historically correct (as far as that is possible from interviewing veterans, they can afterall get details wrong from time to time aswell), it's only normal that, even though they are completly based off the books, the series are not 100% historical correct.

The book tells the story, S. Ambrose doesn't mention much about the uniforms, the equipment, he does add an occasional picture but that alone can't form the basis for TV Series.

You go from a written story to a visual story, and that visual part is way harder to get 100% historically accurate.

Unkn0wn";p="45368 said:
Well although his book is historically correct (as far as that is possible from interviewing veterans, they can afterall get details wrong from time to time aswell), it's only normal that, even though they are completly based off the books, the series are not 100% historical correct.

The book tells the story, S. Ambrose doesn't mention much about the uniforms, the equipment, he does add an occasional picture but that alone can't form the basis for TV Series.

You go from a written story to a visual story, and that visual part is way harder to get 100% historically accurate.

Note the winking icon in my post...

Back