• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

40-45 Then & Now: Following kamfgruppe Peiper's route

The_Dutchman

Company Commander
I own several books from the series 40-45 Then & Now, including one titled Battle of the Bulge. For those unfamiliar with the series: the books contain hundreds of pictures taken during WW2 and pictures of the same locations, but then taken in the 1970's and 1980's. I always wanted to do something similar so I booked a hotel and drove down to the Belgian Ardennes. It was only a 2,5 hours drive until I arrived in Bastogne.

The main objective for this trip was to follow the route which Kampfgruppe Peiper had taken. It's objective was to reach the river Maas and if possible advance upto Antwerp. Peiper's force consisted of 117 tanks, including 22 Tiger II tanks and 14 Panther tanks, 149 Halftracks, 18 105mm and 6 150mm artillery and 4800 troops.

I found a dutch website with a detailed plotted route in Google Maps (http://www.ww2-experience.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=74). Using this information together with my car navigation it should be possible to follow the same route as much as possible.

Once I arrived at Bastogne I visited the Bastogne War Museum, which was renewed for last year's 70 year memorial. It's a nice museum but it has become a more general WW2 museum, with a lesser focus on BotB itself.

The next morning I left my hotel and drove to the starting position, just east of the German town Losheim. It took me four hours to complete the 85 km long route, along the way I stopped at Baugnez '44 Historical Center". This new museum is directly next to the field where a large group of American POW's was killed by members of Peiper's kampfgruppe. This is commonly know as the 'Malmady massacre'.
Peiper himself was not present, but since he was the commanding officer, he was sentenced to death after the war. The sentence was not carried out and after 11 years he was released from prison.

As I drove up to the museum I noticed several people walking towards a memorial site while carrying standards with flags. For sheer luck my trip coincided with a memorial ceremony so I decided to attend it before visting the museum. There were about 50 people attending, including representatives from various armies. After a small speech, flowers were laid, followed by 2 minutes of silence and concluded by playing several national anthems.

After the ceremony I visited the new museum. It's really nice , not big in size but instead big in quality. It has just a few vehicles: a jeep, a schwimmwagen and a weasel (in german hands) but there was plenty to see. Below are a few pictures to give an impression:

After my visit to the museum I continued Peiper's route. Near Cheneux I was able to locate a small pre-WW2 bunker. In this bunker Peiper and Knittel took cover when attacked by Allied airplanes. During this attack he lost several Panther tanks.

From this point it is about 7km to Habiemont, where Peiper's advance was stopped when the bridge over the river Lienne was blown up. This is the bridge today:

Next to the bridge a M3A1 halftrack stands guard:

What I found out from this little battlefield tour, is that it must have been quite an effort for Peiper's battlegroup to cross the Ardennes. Although most roads nowadays are wider and hardened, some of the little narrow and steep backroads were a challenge for my regular sedan car. It must have been really hard to drive a 70 ton Tiger II on those roads.

Offcourse, when driving around this area, there are numerous monuments remembering BotB. Here are the ones I came across in 1 day:

German Tiger II tank. The barrel is incorrect. It was severed during the battle and a 75mm barrel was welded on after the war.

US Sherman tank:

US 105mm Howitzer:

German Panther tank (in a very sad state):

British Sherman Firefly turret (missing mantlet):

British Archilles tank detroyer:

US Sherman M4A1 tank:

It was a good trip and I expect to visit the area a few more times.

Very Nice Tour. I had seen most of these sites while I was stationed at Bitburg AB in Germany from 1973 till 1984. There has been a lot of updates since I was there. Again some very nice photos and story behind them.
GB

Last edited:
Thank you posting pictures and for the information. Very informative. I'm impressed that the local people still "remember" and pay respects in this "hallowed ground". My pop was stationed at Bitburg in 60's and did similar driving tour. Your pix brought back memories of that as well. The tanks look pretty good for their age.

Thanks again for sharing your adventure. On my bucket list for sure.
Best regards,
Bob

The British Achilles is at the entrance to the town of La Roche-on-Ardenne, this was one of the towns relieved by British Troops during the Ardennes offensive there is also a British memorial at the entrance to the town of British troops killed during the towns relief, just opposite the Achilles outside the hotel Ardenne there was a Panther knocked out British.

I have been to many of the places you have mentioned in your post I have also visited Baugnez 4 or 5 times over the last 8 years, this museum has changed over the years especially the large one on the right just before the Schwimmwagen this once housed an Sd.Kfz.251/1 neu, it houses a lot of very high quality artefacts.

Dutchman, thank you so much for posting and for your information. I've never been outside of the states, and hope *Hope* to get to Belgium and the Ardennes forest one day. I had a relative in the BoB and photos then and now never cease to amaze me. These little tributes, of varying nations, continues to give me hope for the future.

And of course, I'd have to enjoy one of many fine Belgium brews in the proper glass. :brit_wink:

Very impressed and touched by the memorial service for the US soldiers of the Malmedy massacre.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the tour description. :!:

Thanks for the appreciation guys. I also managed to do a 'proper' 40-45 Then & Now comparison of a crossroad near a bridge on Hotton. Enjoy!

The British Achilles is at the entrance to the town of La Roche-on-Ardenne, this was one of the towns relieved by British Troops during the Ardennes offensive there is also a British memorial at the entrance to the town of British troops killed during the towns relief, just opposite the Achilles outside the hotel Ardenne there was a Panther knocked out British.

I have been to many of the places you have mentioned in your post I have also visited Baugnez 4 or 5 times over the last 8 years, this museum has changed over the years especially the large one on the right just before the Schwimmwagen this once housed an Sd.Kfz.251/1 neu, it houses a lot of very high quality artefacts.

A couple years back I was in La Roche standing on the other side of the river across from the Achilles. I was up the hill road that runs along side the castle - the night sky was illuminated by millions of stars. I thought about the soldiers from all of the armies that passed through the area and thought, "Wow, I'm looking up at the same night sky that a lot of brave young men gazed upon 70+ years ago." Gave me chills! There is a famous picture of the Brits Black Watch Regiment shaking hands with the US Railsplitters (84th?) in La Roche.

Great photos Dutchman! Thanks for posting. A trip to Bastogne is an absolute must for any WWII nut, or should I say "Nuts".

Very cool post!

That would be a very cool tour to take - I've always had a hard time trying to imagine the roads and the terrain no matter how many times I read a description of it.

Looks like you had a great time doing it!

Fred

Back