• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

6th SS Cuff Title Question........

gebirgsjager6thss

Battalion Commander
A few years ago I started my 6th SS Squad,which quickly grew to about 30 troops.
The problem is this. I found a cuff title for the 6th which said "NORD" on it in all capital letters. I did save the pictures but now cannot find them. I think I even saw them in one of Osprey's GJ books.
Now I cannot find them on the net at all. All I can find are ones that are spelled out like this: "Nord"
My question is this,was the all caps cuff title I originally saw a fake? Did they ever have "NORD" spelled with all caps? Or was it always "Nord"?
If it was I am screwsed since I have over 30 figures with the "NORD" ones.
Can someone PLEASE clear this up for me? And,if possible,post a picture?
Thank you in advance,
GJ

I did a google search for the 6th SS Nord and found this link to a re-enactor website and in their photo gallery, second picture from the left 1st row you can clearly see their cufftitle "Nord". Re-enactors are pretty sticky when it comes to accuracy here's the link. So the cuftittle should be "Nord" not "NORD". Sorry for being the bearer of bad news
http://6ssnord.com/Photogallery.html

This is what my copy of Osprey's "The Waffenn-SS (2)" 6. to 10. Divisions has to say on the subject...

Cuffbands
The division itself was not authorised to wear a cuffband; however,
photos suggest that some personnel used the "Nord" title as worn by
the Allgemeine-SS Oberabschnitt "Nord".This practice was completely
unofficial; the two principal regimants of the division were, however
authorised honour titles.
Regimental
"Reinhard Heydrich" In June 1942 the 6.SS-Infanterie Regimant ( later
SS-Gebirgsjager Regimant 11 )was authorised this title, to commemorate
the assassinated head of the Sicherheitsdienst. The band was
manufactured in machine-embroidered, flat-wire machine-woven and
artificial silk (rayon) BeVo machine-woven formats.
"Michael Gaissmair" In June 1944 , SS-Gebirgsjager-Regimant 12 was
authorised an honour title commemorating this Tyrolean rebel leader
during the Peasant Wars of the early 16th
century. This rare cuffband was manufactured only on BeVo form, of
machine woven artificial silk, the script incorporating the German
double-s character.

Hi guys,
Thank you for the help,I just wish it was better news. The bad part is,the all caps NORD cuff title looks REAL good. I mean REALLY good,a lot better than the "Nord" ones.
Do you think I could get away with say that "the cuff title maker messed up a batch and sent them off to the 5th SS before the mistake was found and the troops liked them SO much they kept them."
Do you think that would fly,PLEASE???? LOL!
Anyway,thanks again,
GJ

Well SS cufftitles were made under the RZM control and doubtfull that an error like that would have been allowed. All makers of SS items had to be licensed under the RZM. So about the only people that would say anything would be people who knew that the NORD cufftitles did not exhist, or put it this way.... the nitpickers would be the ones to say anything
PS... the 5th SS was the WIKING div the 6th was the Nord division

pzrwest...you crush me. :) Not really,I did not think it would fly,oh well.
Yeah,I know the "NORD" was the 6th,I just forgot to double check my typing before I posted,been doing that a lot lately,moving numbers and letters around and not catching it. I know how to spell but sometimes the letters get typed in the wrong order,dont know why. Just typing too fast I guess.
Anyhow,thanks again for crushing my last remaining hope LOL!!
No,thanks again for all your help,
GJ

GJ in the end it comes down to what you want and if you are happy with it then that's all that matters. It's funny some titles are all caps, some are caps first letter and lower case for the rest, some are in süterlin script, some gothic. One would think there would be a standard for the lettering.

I'll see if I can help. I have "Johann Voss" email address, and can check with him if he knows anything about cuff title usage. Given that the war ended almost 65 years ago, that veterans seldom paid much attention to details llike cuff titles, and the scarcity of surviving "Nord" veterans, I wouldn't expect a clear answer.

B Hellqvist
Please do me a favor. Please tell Mr. Voss that I would be honored for any help he could give me. Also tell him I loved his book,I learned a lot from it.

You are so lucky you know a man like that. I would give anything to be able to just sit and talk with him and listen to his stories. I wish they would make a movie out of his book but that will never happen.

Anyhow, please pass along my comments and thank you for doing this for me.
GJ

Back