• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

88 mm s.Pak 43/3 (L/71) gun and ammo??

fusilier1944

Company Commander
I've learned that when it comes to German tank cannons and their ammunition I should never assume I know something without checking it first!

I'm looking to add some ammo to my Jagdpanther. In regards to the gun I've found it to be the 88 mm s.Pak 43/3 L/71 (which means little to me so far). DML's Johann Sigel came with an 88 shell that's described as being for an L/71. Would this shell be correct for the Jagdpanther?

I'm looking to do a basic interior since you can see quite a lot lacking when you open the big hatch on the back. I'm curious if anyone has any good shots of this cannon, possibly even the wheeled antitank version? I have never seen a photo of the machine gunners side of the gun. Everything seems to be from the left/driver's/gunner's side.

I plan on leaving the roof to my Jagd as a removable piece so I can play with figures inside and shoot photos that way. Any help would be much appreciated....

Panzerwerk sell resin 88mm shells which you need to paint yourself. Mike Stannard also sells 88mm shells and sells sets of decals for these. I think that all of these are suitable for the PAK 43 but you should check with the seller to make sure.

Allan

Panzerwerk sell resin 88mm shells which you need to paint yourself. Mike Stannard also sells 88mm shells and sells sets of decals for these. I think that all of these are suitable for the PAK 43 but you should check with the seller to make sure.

Both Mike and our Shells are not the correct ones for the JagdPanther , the cases were bigger , i do not know of anyone currently producing these round , however the Dragon rounds seem correct .
As far as some good pics of the guns themselves "Panzerwrecks III or IV" i dont remember which , has some great pics of the guns in static mounts , they were used on defensive positions as they was not enough time to finish the vehicles they were made for , i will try to find the books and let you know which one they were in .

Thanks for helping folks!

Steve, that'd be great if you could find that out for me. I hadn't realized they used the guns as static mounts until you mentioned it. Right after that I found one poor quality picture of one such gun. Do you happen to know what it was called/designated in that role? If it had a special name that might make searching a little narrower. Thanks again...

its called the Rhine Pak front 88 , sadly there are only three pictures , they are in the Concord book "Panzers in the Gunsights 2" not Panzerwrecks , sorry i have a lot of books and forget sometimes which pictures are where .

Here's a link to the book :

Click Here

here's a website with real pics:
Click here

DML's Johann Sigel came with an 88 shell that's described as being for an L/71. Would this shell be correct for the Jagdpanther?

if Dragon got it correct , this should be the right round.

BTW , the gun is basicly a Pak 43 , i would think most of the breech detail and much of the gun would be the same , however i could be wrong .

The DML "Sigel" rounds are supposed to be the right ones...

I remember seeing someone once pointing out all the inaccuracies of it some time back in a post but, for what it is, it's the ONLY game in town right now... I too picked up a bunch of these loose when they were available for use with my Jagdpanther....

Thanks a bunch! I'll have to search through my Concord books to see what I have. I did find this picture on the Axis History Forum:
042_jpanther.jpg

Big surprise that the Dragon round isn't exactly correct! (note my sarcasm). That wouldn't be the first time they did something like that...

Steve is correct about my 88mm rounds these are for the Tiger 1 and the 88mm flak. However the designation on the rounds for which weapon they are used for is all in the markings/decals. The main rounds for the Tiger were AP and HE rounds, however the flak had many variants.

Many weapons had a 88mm bore, but different size cases dependent on the breech size which varied on different guns. The "L" denotes the length of the barrel, usually the longer the barrel the bigger the shell case.

This is a whole new ball game trying to figure out what fits what. Just to get my 88mm rounds for the Tiger 1 correct took around 2 years of research with the help of a few ammunition collectors. To get an idea of what is involved see my post on the rounds at:
Link: 88 mm round post

Back