• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Battle of Britain RAF fighter pilot.

Tony Barton

Company Commander
Today is Battle of Britain Day .

Here’s my BoB Pilot.
This has been quite a long job , trying to find the right things to make it accurate ; I think I started him about three years ago .

Uniform : a DML Luftwaffe uniform ( can’t remember his name , bought it as a spare ) with retailored pockets made from painted brushed cotton , shoulder straps etc removed , and newly cast RAF buttons added. The whole was then lightly painted to even up the colour .
The cap is from onesixthunique : super job.
The 1936 type boots are German Newline with tops recut and straps added.

Ginger-one.jpg

The B-Type helmet is the ActionMan version in vinyl.
I tried making it from leather,of which I have some perfect red-brown sheepskin , but the stuff simply would not feed under the machine. After many depressing failures I gave up , got the AM version from a friend, and added all the details and a chamois lining.

The D-Type oxygen mask is scratchbuilt entirely : a bit tricky.
Cloth , lined with chamois, with a Fimo microphone. Wire and oxygen pipe from an old radio or something .

The goggles are the Mk.IIIA , modelled, cast and fitted with acrylic sheet lenses.

Ad-Astra.jpg

The Lifevest is the BBI one, and is very good. A bit tight on the body , so I removed some of the elastic , and repainted the yellow more crudely. The original came in the khaki green, but was often hand-painted yellow after pilots realised that they might be invisible should they end up in the Channel
The parachute is also BBI , and is nearly perfect , apart from the release cable, which need the silly plunger removing, and the end of the cable fitted into the D release handle.

with-parachute.jpg

Big Thanks to my friend MisterScruff, who patiently provided me with all the info and pics to work from.

That's an incredible looking figure! You're work is always great to see but the work you put into the pilot, the redoing of the flight helmet, the mask and goggles, the rework and painting of the uniform and the the boots is not just great but amazing! My hat off to you!

Tony, your figures are always an inspiration. He looks great. Your attention to detail always pays off in spades.

Tim

Really nice! Just the service kit would have been a winner, but going on to the flying kit is the icing on the cake. Brilliant!

In response to public demand.....

One-more-with-the-crate.jpg

This was fun to set up, with a 1/72nd 1940 Hurricane , some grass mat , and a large printed photo of the fields about a mile away.
Might try some more "false perspectives " using different scales with some of my other figures. If you have the space , it's not that hard to set up.

Love the figure, Tony. I sure wish someone would put a few aviators out there.. so many good subjects to utilize.
Maybe this will get me cracking on my two Med Luftwaffe pilots.....

Back