• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

British Officer on the Somme

Tony Barton

Company Commander
British Officer on the Somme...

When I first started getting serious about 1/6th , building an accurate Great War figure was hard. There were the Sideshow figures , but most of the parts were poorly cast in PVC .The uniforms could be worked on , but other items had to be made , converted , or got from elsewhere. Things have got better since then , with the arrival some years ago of Albert Brown and the other nations’ figures from DiD. As always with DiD, there are caveats , but he’s an excellent basis for making an improved figure, without having to go through the serious business of making the 1908 webbing from scratch.
What with my major rebuilds of Sideshow, and more recently DiD, I now have quite a collection of ordinary Tommies.

An Officer , however, has been quite a challenge, since there’s not much available to get you started . The DiD John Colman figure is about all we have. He’s not wildly accurate for 1940, but actually quite a good fit for 1914 / 18 .
Officer’s uniforms were privately purchased, so there was some variation . That particularly applies to making field equipment, since the trend was from the official leather Sam Browne items in 1914, to more webbing as the war went on, either in the form of OR’s webbing modified for officers, or the new Mills set for officers, which emerges in 1916/17 . This figure has the Sam Browne type, partly because I wanted him to be able to double for early war .

I wanted my officer to show the full field kit worn when making an attack, which is uncommon in photos.

The jacket can be the starting point .
The cuffs need retailoring ( unpick cuff , remove shaped cuff piece, and recut as scalloped flap ), add cuff lace ( painted ”lacet” ) and rank pips, in this case 2nd Lieutenant ( painted cloth ) , and he needs a pair of collar dogs. Shoulder ranking is also possible , since in many Regiments it became the norm for the junior officers. That was part of the trend to make the officers less conspicuous , which included them wearing ORs jackets and webbing and carrying rifles.

It was not universal , however .
Breeches are retailored : they varied from scarcely flared, to extremely so; and in colour from drab to a buff so pale it’s almost white. Gaiters, trench boots, or puttees, with puttees commoner amongst junior Infantry officers.

Detailed sourcing ...
Cap : Onesixthunique Officer’s trench cap.
Helmet : TB Brodie casting, with custom cover and liner as private purchase helmet.
Shirt : DML. Tie made from cotton tape.
Jacket : DiD Colman,cuff lace from 2mm lacet painted, insignia specially sculpted, new buttons .
Breeches : custom from a sort of miniature whipcord fabric.
Puttees : woven tape painted, to represent Fox’s puttees, the usual officers’ purchased type.
Boots : DiD Colman

Now in the trench setup:

Binocular case is DML repainted, new strap.
Sam Browne custom in leather, brass fittings from TB.
Haversack , pistol case containing TB metal Webley MkV, map case, waterbottle , stick etc, all custom, made from cotton, leather, brass wire etc.
The whistle and pistol lanyards made from model ship rigging cord. The gas hood case from cotton and tape, DML buttons.

*************************************************************************************

Wonderful. Looks the business. As always, the information is a big bonus. Thanks.

I hope you are well on the mend.

He looks good, Tony. Your custom work is superb and the history of not only the figure, but the hobby is an excellent accompaniment.

Ever since seeing War Horse, I'd hoped you'd turn out a very smartly dressed officer from August of 1914. A close reading of your text gives me hope that this might still happen.

Nicely done!

Fred

I agree very nice indeed.... Just think the officers went over the top with pistol in one hand cane in the other and a whistle in his mouth as well as being out in front of his men..... That takes a lot of courage

Great figure! Just reminds me of
"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin."
Captain Blackadder

Back