• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

British Paratroop Medic question

Squidley

Company Commander
Would it be appropriate for a para medic to carry a sidearm (pistol)?

I seem to recall that german medics did, americans did not, but I don't know about the brits.

I'm working through all of my spare british stuff to finish up my paras, and the medic is one of the last few to be done.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Squidley,

By 'medic' are you referring to M.Os (Medical Officers), S.Bs (Stretcher Bearers), or Medical Orderlies?

The Bn M.O (attached from the RAMC) was, by regulations, issued with a .38 revolver & 12 rounds (for defense of wounded etc.).

Stretcher Bearers (which were part of a Regiment rather than the RAMC) seem to vary. They may have carried .38 revolvers, or a rifle, or be unarmed. It seems it may have come down to individual preference, availablity of arms, or (possibly) C.O's orders.

Medical Orderlies of RAMC Field Ambulances were unarmed, this dictated by their non-combatant role.

In relation to the Paras, an Airborne Medical Orderly of a RAMC Field Ambulance on page 101 of 'The World War II Tommy in Colour Photographs' by Martin Brayley & Richard Ingram is shown as unarmed, using his basic pouches to carry shell dressings. These photos are of a model wearing the kit, rather than period photos, so not definitive, but do at least provide a guide to the kit worn by an Airborne Medical Orderly.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
AB64

Last edited:
Hi,

When i was at the Detling show in 2008, i got to speak to some member's of a living history group, and i asked about the carrying of the sidearms as a medic. And i was told the same as AB64 has said, in that the firearms were only carried for self defence of the wounded, and in extreme cases it could be used to end a soldier's suffering.

Some pictures i took are below.

Gary's Detling 2008 Page

Gary

Thanks for the opinions and the references. I think I'll bash mine up with a pistol (as much because I have one lying around as anything else), and see how that looks. Now all I have to do is find the shell dressing bags I mocked up a few years back...too much stuff laying around!

Thank you again for the help.

When I'm done I'll post a pic of the whole group. Think it's around 15 or 20....

If you are going to give him a pistol, avoid the holster and stick it in a pocket, belt or one of the basic pouches. For display purposes, the butt can show.

Back