• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

British Yeomanry cavalryman , Palestine 1918 .

Tony Barton

Company Commander
WW1 British Yeomanry Cavalry in 1/6th .

I have been working on this chap for a few months now : a Trumpeter from the Gloucestershire Hussars, Palestine 1918.
He's called Stan Carter, he came from Stroud in Gloucestershire, and in later life he taught me to play the trumpet.

There are several questions about the uniform , since there are almost no photos of this unit around.
But I'm working on the " best guess " priciple.
All the items are as near as possible made like the originals, and stow on the horse in the original way.
I have a few more things to add... mostly very small items to go in pockets and wallets :~

Annotated-kit-layout.jpg

A couple more pics showing him mounted up. I really must make myself a larger desert...

Stan-right.jpg

A series of questions arise : perhaps he should really have a rifle and bandolier rather than the pistol ; he needs some badges , perhaps ; and I need a set of three colour Royal livery cords for the instruments, for which I must consult with an expert in braiding , because I haven't a clue how to make them !

And Binky needs a nosebag and a haynet . Anyone know where I can get natural fibre netting ?

Stan-closer.jpg

The tunic is BGT, the wonderful UP saddle, unfortunately invisible under all that clobber, is by Cesar Dubon. Everything else from scratch.
Once I've finalised everything I will do a complete post , with much more detail.

Tony a wonderful figure. I don't Dare offer much of a opinion here. But i would say some kind of rank, an unit number would be right here. would he have worn two pistols.? and no rifle. great work.

Nice as usual.

I was expecting you to do a WWI British cavalry as in "War Horse".

Back