• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Corporal Sparkes 1944

Tony Barton

Company Commander
Corporal Sparkes 1944 :~

A signaller from an Infantry Division in N.W.Europe in late summer 1944 , operating the wireless set No. 38 .

Sparkes-the-best_zpse44c67cf.jpg

Like most British collectors, I have had a couple of the BBI “ Roger Cooke “ No.38 wireless sets hanging around for years , without ever having used them .
A useful posting on OSS from a re-enactor who owned a complete original set finally provided excellent, clear pics of all the parts , and a little work with reference books and online provided the answers to questions that arose as I was making it. It’s a complex thing to put together, and I hope I’ve got it right.

The 38 set was the British attempt to provide a lightweight radio for Platoon and Company use in the frontline. It became available in numbers in 1943, in time for D-Day, and was much used from then on and post-war. It was pretty crude and heavy object , weighing something like 30 pounds all up, and could only manage a couple of miles of range when conditions are good .
Even at the time , the 38 set compared very badly with the U.S.
“ handy-talkie “, which weighed about a third as much , and was one neat box unit without dangling wires.

The BBI radio is a very good and accurate model , but whoever made it misunderstood the references, and provided a second green box, with fictional knobs on one end, presumably thinking it was something important like a battery unit.
It wasn’t : it was a spare valve case, without any knobs at all !
I converted mine into that valve case by removing the knobs , and adding a hinge , and a snap fastener to one end.
The actual batteries were buff cardboard covered objects, and in scale about 26 x 18 x 10 mm. I made a couple from foamex blocks covered with manila paper from an envelope .

accurised38set_zps178e3794.jpg

Once you have the correct batteries, assembly as per the original printed instructions can be attempted .

And here’s the whole thing worn as per the instructions:~

WSNo38Mark2216a_zps7b53508c.jpg

Sparkes-three_zps12aabae6.jpg

All the webbing has been remade to correct scale , including the figure’s haversack, which carries the battery and junction box as well as his messtins .
The radio body hangs on a special 2” strap with a custom brass hook at the end , secured in the buckle on the haversack strap.

The “ Satchel Signals “ carries the spare battery , the spare valve case, and a spare headset and hand microphone (made of laminated plastic card , carved and painted ) , which is an alternative to the throat mike normally used, particularly for the use of an officer .

with-orficer_zps7dec18ae.jpg

I’ve also made the aerial case, which is 50” long, from 10mm webbing tape sewn up. There are three aerial sections inside, and one in the radio.
The headsets have had their webbing straps replaced, with a tightening strap on top .

The whole outfit, although it can be used almost hands free when using the throat mike, is ridiculously complex , and must have taken ages to get on and off. And I can’t imagine the mess you got into if you had to throw yourself in a ditch in a hurry…broken ribs would have been the least of it.

Corporal Sparkes is otherwise entirely conventional for 1944/45 , in austerity BD and standard webbing. He’s with the 50th Tyne Tees & Humber Infantry Division .The Officer is from 5th East Yorks.
My friend Woffendon suggests that Royal Signals personnel assigned to the Infantry or Artillery probably rebadged themselves to the Battalion or Battery they were serving with , but I’ve left him with his Signals insignia for the moment, including the delightfully archaic crossed flags badge… come to think of it , not that archaic , since the BEF in 1940 had little else BUT flags for communication.

MkII helmet fully garnished with painted sacking cover, net and scrim.
All webbing remade, and blancoed Khaki Green Medium : this is the best version of this I have yet done, copied from a real sample .The BD and boots are DML , the insignia are homemade.
The Sten Mk.II has a new sling.

BW-Sparkes_zps9372ad49.jpg

He's a bit clean, but let's imagine it's a dry period in late summer.

***************************************************************************************************

Last edited:
Great use of the radio! You dont see them used often on figures. Your figure, as always, is top notch and very well put together. The sculpt looks different on this one. Is it a latest variation? I recognize it as yours but it just looks different this time around. The slit trench blends well with the setting and the dio that youre depicting. Always nice to see your work!

Tony, thanks for the info on the proper use of the radio. (I'm currently using one for my Para Platoon I can now see where I can improve it.)
Great shots as always, I really like the one with your radio operator and his officer. Very nicely done.'

Tim

And Tony hits another one out of the ball park for a great home run!!!!.... Well done Tony a super job on these two figures and a great dio as well..... Harold

Marvellous stuff, Tony! Absolutely excellent.

And the unit - L Section, 50th Divisional Signals Regiment - a superb choice!

WRT insignia, you are spot on for a man of the Bde's Signals Section. I have been conducting research into insignia worn by 50 Div Sigs as part of my own interests and have had full R/Sigs insignia confirmed by a Veteran of K Section (in fact, he recalls not wearing shoulder titles on 'working' BD, but as with any unit, there was a great amount of variation).

Last edited:
Looks great! I've not seen one of those sets in a long time. You've displayed it just right. Too bad no one makes it any more. One of these days I'll have to pull my units out and do the corrections you've indicated. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone : it was a bit comlpex to put together , but the only thing you really need to make are the batteries, which are just solid blocks cvered in brown paper.
I anyone wants the pics of the original fullsize set, just drop me a line.

I love the attention to detail and the humanity of the poses. As usual, your scholarship is spot on.

Back