• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Did Gebirgsjägers have Pak 37s

Im a bit new to Gebirgsjäger heavy weapons .
I know they had a 75mm cannon but what about smaller weapons .
Did they have Pak 37s , because at some time they did come down from the mountains to fight in towns and villages .

I would expect that at one time or another GebirgsJagers would have had access and use of just about every weapon available to field troops as would most German units in WWII... Necessity makes any trooper use anything at his disposal to survive...

I wanted to make a pyro 75mm or a 37mm , its really easy .
But I cant decide . Its either a Kettenkrad with a sniper or a mortar squad .
At moments like these I wish I didnt dedicate myself just to one topic .
Regular Wehrmacht got everything .
Where I come from , the Bavarian Alps , Gebirgjägers are still the most famous and interesting unit .
And anyways my grandfather was in an SS Gebirgs division .
I hope I can follow in his steps .

Weapons used by Mountain Troops.

I've seen the 20mm Anti-Aircraft gun used against long-distance positions by both regular German Mountain troops as well as Handschar. Yes, Mike is quite correct - they had access to whatever was available. On small roads or unfriendly terrain yes, smaller heavy weapons would be more practical. Especially if they could be drawn by oxen, horses or small vehicles safely. As well, the other problem which guys like me seem to forget in the field, someone has to carry the ammo too.

jim.

There were 3 regiments to a division and each regiment had an anti-tank battalion. The anti-tank battalions were equipped with the 3.7cm anti-tank gun. At the divisional level the GJ's were also equipped with the 5cm anti-tank gun. Naturally the GJ's were also equipped with organic artillery from the 7.5cm mountain howitzer up to the big 15cm howitzers.

They had a mountain version of the 37mm which had spoked wheels. The entire gun came apart for hauling by pack animals.

thetoysurgeon said:
They had a mountain version of the 37mm which had spoked wheels. The entire gun came apart for hauling by pack animals.
jeez thanks guys , I didnt know .

what do you mean "spoked" wheels ?

Do you mean wooden wheels with needle-like things on the them so they stick into the ground ?

All I need now is a horse who can pretend to be a donkey lol .

Back