• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

ENTRY # 5 - pomz99

Sixth Vanguard

Board Flunky, aka Site Admin
4th Gebirgsjäger Division

4thgbrjgrdiv.jpg

Nickname Enzian Division or the Gentian Division after the mountain flower that was the divisional symbol.

Formed in 23 October 1940

Mobilized in April 1941

Home garrison was Heuberg, Germany

Division composition

1,2,3 Abteilung, 13th GJ Regiment

1,2,3 Abteilung, 91st GJ Regiment

1,2,3,4 Abteilung, 94th GJ Artillerie Regiment

94th Panzerjäger Company

94th GJ Pioneer Company

94th Recon Abteilung

94th Signals Abteilung

94th Abteilung support units for the division

The division was trained as a Gebirgsjäger Division until March 1941 with most of its personnel being German rather than Austrian, moved through Bulgaria for the invasion of Yugoslavia, took part in operations in the Eastern Front against Soviet Union as part of the 17 Armee in Heeresggruppe Sud, saw actions at Uman and Mius. Stayed in Mius till July 1942, with the 1st GJ Div. took part in operations in the Caucasus region of Sothern Russia, on the 21 August 1942, troops from this division stood on the peak of Mt. Elbras 5633m. in the Caucasus, one of the deepest penetration of the German advance. When the Russian campaign failed, the 4th GJ was moved to the Crimea. After a long service period in the Eastern Front, took part in the Battle around the Dnieper Bend and received a commendation from Generalfeldmarschall von Manstein for its part in the destruction of the Soviet 1st Tank Army. In late 1944 the division was moved to Hungary over the Carpathian Mountains and then into Slovakia, fighting the Soviets in the Tata Mountains in January 1945, by this time the 4th GJ Division strength was reduced to a Kampfgruppe and finally surrendered in May 1945 to the Soviet army near Olomonc in Czechoslovakia.

This figure depicts an enlisted man with considerable mountaineering experience in the Recon Abteilung in the Tata Mountains in early 1945.

Body and HS DML – Bengt Zillmer

Uniform parts, headgear, snow goggles - DML

Boots and gaiters - DiD

Belt, Y harness, breadbag, canteen1 - DiD

Ammo pouches, etool, bayonet, canteen2, K98 carbine - DML

Pitons – DiD

Rope, slings – homemade

Ice axe, piton hammer – DML

[hr:96a8a9125b]
rappel_0109_1.JPG

[hr:96a8a9125b]
rappel_0111_1.JPG