• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Fixing Sunbleached Uniforms

NBTrav

Machine Gunner
This is a bit of a double-whammy. I get to show off a new technique I've been experimenting with, and also show off some of what I've been working on lately.
11989625554_6e53c4ddac_c.jpg

Due to a lack of space and proper shelving in my place, I've taken to putting my figures in window sills, they're over a foot deep, so there's lots of room in there.
I had some of my US troops on display there for well over a year, and the sun wasn't very kind to their uniforms and gear, bleaching much of it to almost white.
To try and help combat this a bit, and give a bit of a grungier look to their gear, I opted to try using some woodstain, of all things.
Brushed on, let dry, and buffed with some sandpaper, and I quite liked the results.
11990037046_83df57e2d5_c.jpg

11989498783_5897cb6aa3_c.jpg

11989126755_641ffe04dd_c.jpg

11989988606_06c9921c3e_c.jpg

Also, just for fun, here are some Germans I've been working on as well.

11990103276_3fe6d4d6cf_c.jpg

11990089176_22ecfa2989_c.jpg

11989693744_aab9ed0b3c_c.jpg

Here's a shot to help show off some of the white-washing I've been doing. I've also removed almost all of the liners and added my own straps to the helmets.
11989633493_952b082752_c.jpg

Just a quick little update, look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Looks good...
I kinda like the sun bleached look, it adds to the realism.
And good idea with the wood stain also.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot fellas!

I usually like the sun bleached look too, but wanted to try to get the uniforms and gear a bit closer to how they appeared in some episodes of Band of Brothers, where their equipment and such looked quite dark, dirty, and almost wet, to me.
Plus it keeps me busy.

They look excellent, now get those Us and SS troops outside while there'slot of snow and do some Bastogne shots.

Tim

I agree with all of the above.... they look fantastically real.... what their uniforms and gear would look like in real life

Thanks a lot guys!
If we had some more snow I'd probably find a good place to go set-up, we've been getting more cold than snow lately though.

Can't really tell they were ever bleached out to an almost white as you say.

The helmet strap buckles are a bit of a step backward if I may. Those are some of the original buckles that came on the helmets when they had black elastic straps back in like 1999 or so. You might be better off using thinner leather and some of the tiny buckles from Rio Rondo or even robbing some smaller buckles off some gear in your spares box.

Like the sniper, he looks pretty cool!

Steve

Thanks a lot for the feedback Steve. I agree, the leather straps on the helmets need some work. The elastics that were on the helmets to begin with were quite old, and starting to break down a bit, as might be noticed on the G43 rifleman. I intend to get them all spruced up with some better quality buckles and straps in the future, I'll definitely check out Rio Rondo :)

They look great and I like what you have done. But I wished you would have saved one to compare as a " before and after ".

Thanks a lot :)

Pickelhaube, There are some 'Nam US uniforms I've got that are looking rather bleached, I'll be sure to take some before photos if I try to spruce them up in a similar fashion, too.

Back