• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Gebirgsjäger-Kompanie 190?

RogueJK

Tanker
90. Panzergrenadier Division's Gebirgsjäger-Kompanie 190

I've been doing some research into the 90th Panzergrenadier Division, in the hopes of expanding my selection of Italian Front figures. After being created in mid-1943, this division fought in most of the major engagements on the Italian mainland (including Ortona, Cassino, Anzio, Rome, and the Gothic Line), and seems to have been a rather eclectic group. The troops included regular Wehrmacht recruits, former members of the garrison units from Sardinia and Corsica, former Luftwaffe Field Division soldiers from disbanded LWFD units, and some veterans from the Afrika Korps. And for a time in 1944, its armored battalion was equipped solely with StuG IVs, instead of the traditional Panzer IIIs and IVs. It was also one of the few units to sport a divisional cap badge:
armytradbadges-90pzgrdiv.jpg

I came across another interesting tidbit of information on an obscure Gebirgsjager unit: The OOB of the 90. Panzergrenadier Division from mid-1943 includes the 190th Mountain Infantry Company (which in some OOBs is described as a "mixed Gebirgsjager company", whatever that means). However, it seems to have disappeared from the division's OOB by early 1944, after the division was rebuilt following the fierce fighting around Ortona, just in time for the fighting around Cassino.

Does anyone have any further details on this independant Gebirgsjager company, or perhaps know where the members were assigned prior to this or afterwards? Or were the members simply absorbed into other formations within the 90th after the division was mauled outside Ortona in late 1943?

Last edited:
Back